What's new

This just in: Universal TV news! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well depending on the prices of Quantum Leap I Might pick it up I Like QL but I don't think these should be $99 retails, maybe more priced like the stargate box sets. I also really hope they use Keep cases for these I hate Damn Digipacks.

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
As I have said in several other TV Show threads:
Universal, please show me the Beaver!!!!!!!! ;)

Jimmy Wong

Grip
With all these releases, I'm almost hoping that some studios slow down. TNG and Dark Shadows every other month are killing me. I think I will be happy with Fox's schedule of 2 seasons per year. (Except maybe Buffy, which I am getting hooked on through DVD for the first time!) I am a sucker for these TV shows on DVD. I've been recording entire shows for years and this is like a dream come true.

One of my all-time favorites that nobody every mentions is:

Newhart.
Paper Chase

Any way this is great news!

Richard -

Though I am impressed with the speed at which Paramount is releasing ST:TNG, you would think that they had forgotten how many other shows they own. Although they are releasing "I Love Lucy", those discs are not box sets, and it's the box sets that are selling well for studios like FOX. I personally don't like buying 2 discs every couple of months when box sets take up less space and usually cost less per episode. Primarily, I'm thinking of Cheers, Frasier, Taxi, etc.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Although I'd like to see Lucy in Boxed sets, I don't think that's the ideal choice for the series. Firstly, it cost Paramount a bit to clean Lucy up, so they need to be conscious of cost vs. return. Second I'm not sure, but I think the seasons on Lucy have odd numbers of episodes. Third, a number of the likely Lucy buyers will want "Vitameatavegemin" and "the one with the grape stomping" or "the one with the chocolates", but won't want to lay out $100 for Lucy : Season 1.

That said, I would hate to see Paramount follow that model for Cheers, Frasier, or some modern sitcom.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Let's see here:

Currently:

M*A*S*H
Star Trek: The Next Generation

Soon:
Babylon 5
Star Trek: Deep Space 9

and now:
Magnum P.I.
Rockford Files
Battlestar Galactica
Emergency

This is why geeks live with their parents... they can't afford the rent after buying DVDs.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Great News!! ;) I have been looking forward/hoping Quantum Leap would be one of the universal announcements. I probably will also pick-up sliders and magnum p.i. if these sets are priced fairly. I hate to bring up price because i know alot of people will buy them no matter what the cost. But i think considering the costs of tv sets the likes of 24 and buffy that there is no excuse for these to be priced upwards of star trek tng and x-files.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Alf is a Warner title and Newhart is Fox-owned (they inherited it from MTM Productions). Sign me up for either of these.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
heck, I pre-ordered the R4 Galactica box. now I have to decide whether to stick to that one, or cancel and get the R1 instead; decisions decisions... :D
will probably get Quantum Leap as well. so that adds to the ongoing collecting of ST:TNG, MASH, West Wing (R2), Friends (R2)...
whew. my credit card is taking a real beating.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering if Quantum Leap will contain the pilot episode. I held off buying the Image Entertainment version in the hopes that an announcement like this would come out WITH the pilot episode included.
Off-topic: Are there any TV shows where the pilot was released separately from the season set? That's why I ask this question because I thought there might be some. If not, then bring them on!
2nd question first: Well, in the case of both Leap and Galactica, the pilot was indeed released "separately" from the series...since the series wasn't released but the pilots were! :) Of course, Galactica's DVD of the "pilot" was the bastardized Theatrical edition, with all the cuts.
1st question now: While Universal wouldn't tell me anything yesterday when I called, except to just refer me to the press release and the Video Business article, I have no doubts in my own mind that both Galactica and Leap will include the pilots, in their complete original televised forms. As I said, Galactica's complete pilot hasn't been put on DVD anywhere yet. As for Leap's pilot, Universal will want to "show up" Image, I'm sure. :D
Other pilots not with their series: Smallville, Twin Peaks both come to mind. I'm sure I'm forgetting...many. ;)

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I know, I couldn't sleep I got that excited, not about any of the series listed but just Sliders! I've been waiting for it for years, it's way better than Stargate and Farscape and Dark Angel and Lexx, and of course miles ahead of Quantum Leap, which is saying a lot, but everyone will disagree.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
It's odd that Universal have been claiming for years that it wasn't possible to release Quantum Leap (on VHS), because getting clearance to use the era-establishing songs featured in the show would be too complex or expensive.
Hopefully there's been a sea change at Universal (who have a reputation for being cheapskates when it came to clearing music for home video (cf: The Thing, etc)), and we'll see the series complete and un-tampered with. Being a bit of a pessimist, I've got a feeling that the battle to get Quantum Leap released on video is only just beginning....

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Besides the late 2002-early 2003 dates. Do we have anything more specific about when these shows will be out??

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator
Be nice to hear if these are season sets as opposed to single discs. After having recently re-watched a lot of Magnum taped off day-time I’d have to say the show could do with a clean-up but I can’t see the pricing of these shows supporting any kind of restoration. I’d like to be wrong though.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Besides the late 2002-early 2003 dates. Do we have anything more specific about when these shows will be out??
Todd, when I spoke to Universal yesterday, the person I talked to jumped in before I could say anything and basically said "no, we don't have dates yet".

Of course, they DO have dates for Law & Order and for the two Baretta releases, both on October but a week apart. I would guess that a couple more will hit before Christmas, but I'm sure Galactica and others will be saved for next year (anniversary for BG and all).

I feel confident that all of these will be made available in season sets, but take that with a grain of salt.

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
what about The $6 Million Man series, Jan 2003 will mark the 30 year anniversary when the pilot movie first aired.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks