1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Island Earth and The Deadly Mantis ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, May 8, 2006.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Didn't I see somewhere a couple months back that Universal was going to release a Sci-Fi and Horror box series this Spring or Summer that would include This Island Earth and The Deadly Mantis? I can't seem to find the thread. [​IMG]

Eric

2. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick

I think I'd have remembered hearing this - don't think there's anything official. You may be referring to a couple of threads that dealt with our fervent hopes that a sci-fi set would be forthcoming from Universal soon, mentioning those (among many other) titles.

3. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I frequent a Classic Horror & Science Fiction Forum where I'm on the "Universal" thread several times per day. Believe me, there's nothing announced yet, or even rumored.

4. Jay E

Jay E Screenwriter

Universal released Tarantula and The Incredible Shrinking Man this year in the UK. Maybe they have something up their sleeve for here...but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an arm[​IMG]

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I'd love to have dvds of both This Island Earth and The Deadly Mantis, currently I only have them on vhs and um Super 8? And I also have the MST3K editions of both films. They show clips from This Island Earth on a documentary on the It Came From Outer Space dvd which I bought recently along with Tarantula and The Incredible Shrinking Man (just £5.99 each R2) so maybe it's in the next batch.

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

That same doco (and the clips) are on the four year old R1, so I'm afraid that doesn't mean too much.

7. Gereon_B

Gereon_B Extra

Dunno if I should post this here, but This Island Earth is avaiable on R2 in Germany. It is a bonus DVD to the german release of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Movie, is in 1,33:1 (open matte) and with english mono track.

8. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    A post a few weeks ago said that "This Island Earth" was 1.85:1. Maybe Universal will re-release it in it's correct OAR.

The print used for "The Deadly Mantis" on the 1993 Golden Age of Science Fiction Thrillers LD Box Set ("It Came from Outer Space/Tarantula/The Mole People/The Deadly Mantis) is beautiful!

But of course, Universal never restores these films, it just ports over the LD print.

9. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Actually, THIS ISLAND'S EARTH suggested ratio was 2:1, which having watched the film that way, I have no problem with. Unfortunately, there are some people who have seen this film full-frame for so long on TV that they have no conception that it could have been a wide-screen film.

I agree, though-- these films need their place on my shelf. Seeing as they've retransferred their Hammer films, though, I have faith that perhaps we'll be seeing them soon in their correct, widescreen aspect ratios.

10. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Not only did Universal re-transfer the Hammer films, they did a wonderful job restoring the films and transferring them to DVD - credit where credit is due, and I'd put money on them doing a decent job with these movies sooner rather than later.

11. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

But too bad they issued the set on faulty DVD-18's, which screwed up in many players, thus rendering their transfers null and void.

12. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

I'm just talking transfers Joe; that's another issue altogether.

13. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

Universal recently licensed "The Creature Walks Among Us" and "Revenge Of The Creature" to the Monsters HD channel, and both were broadcast full-frame. I would have hoped these two would put right for their HD-TV premieres, but it didn't happen. Wasn't the Region 2 DVD of "Tarantula" also full-frame?

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

14. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
  15. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

Add me to the list of those dying to see THIS ISLAND EARTH issued in a new transfer that restores its Technicolor beauty.

16. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

From Universal's website:

This Island Earth
    Release Date: 08/29/2006
    Packaging: Snap Case Price: $10.98

No Synopsis Available

Run Time: 1 Hour 26 Minutes
    MPAA Rating: Not Rated Technical Information

Technical Information
    Audio
    English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
    Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
    Picture: Full Frame (1.33:1)
    Color

17. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    That's a shame, they had a chance to finally release This Island Earth correctly.

18. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Naturally Universal continues to under mine thier catalogue. Are all the studios slowing down on older titles and waiting for Hi-Def instead? I'd love to have a GOLDEN AGE OF SCI-FI Collection like the old Laser Disc set.

19. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

What is the correct Aspect Ratio? I aaumed it was 1:33. And Universal where is Mole People ????

20. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Universal's suggested aspect ratio was 2:1. I expect a rehash of their old DVD of the title.