What's new

This IS your father's TWILIGHT ZONE: Your favorite Episode (1 Viewer)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
"Time Enough At Last"....so simple but so thought provoking with such great irony.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this is an old thread and I just discovered it from the recent new post.
Since this thread started, we've had two box set releases, the Definitive Edition season box sets and the blu ray season box sets which look fantastic!
I've been distracted, so I haven't watched too many of the blu-rays. Though through a very quick skim through page 2 of this thread, I see a few favorite episodes mentioned.
It's probably always on everyone's list, but I still find Shatner in Nightmare at 20,000 Feet a favorite. plus his less often mentioned Nick of Time appearance. I actually remember seeing that one as a kid in the 1970's or perhaps late 60's, and it always stuck. The face of the devil on the fortune telling machine.
Masks was a cool one. I haven't seen that one in a very long time. Time Enough At last and To Serve Man were my favorites in the 1980's when the series was rerun. Mr. Denton is a fun one as is Execution. I also remember The Fever from the last 60's or early 70's when it was repeated somewhere. The slot machine also stuck with me! Walking Distance is an interesting one and feels more relavent as i get older! The Lonely is probably my favorite from the first season.
On a side note, when I got season Three on blu ray, it was the only one I got that didn't have the outer cardboard sleeve. It's bugged me that I couldnt find it since. Anyone want to sell their sleeve? Or know a source? I tried Image and they were nice enough to send me a season three box set, but it didn't have a sleeve!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
It's probably always on everyone's list, but I still find Shatner in Nightmare at 20,000 Feet a favorite. plus his less often mentioned Nick of Time appearance. I actually remember seeing that one as a kid in the 1970's or perhaps late 60's, and it always stuck. The face of the devil on the fortune telling machine.
There's a handful of episodes that I remember seeeing when I was very young. I have a vivid memory of the melting painting and the exploding thermometer from The Midnight Sun and I remember seeing Eye Of The Beholder, The Invaders, Nightmare At 20,000 Feet (the image of Shatner hanging out of the plane trying to shoot the gremlin is burned on my brain) and The Masks.
Speaking of Shatner's other episode, they made a very pricey replica (and an even more pricey one with Shatner's signature) of the fortune telling machine from Nick Of Time: http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBP05008
On a side note, when I got season Three on blu ray, it was the only one I got that didn't have the outer cardboard sleeve. It's bugged me that I couldnt find it since. Anyone want to sell their sleeve? Or know a source? I tried Image and they were nice enough to send me a season three box set, but it didn't have a sleeve!
It might not be worth the effort but you could order a copy from Amazon and see if you get the slipsleeve. If the sleeve is on there, keep it and return the still-sealed set. It might cost a couple buck in shipping costs but as long as the set is still sealed, they won't know or care if the sleeve isn't returned too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good idea Travis about trying to get a slipcase. I'll have a look.
I'll check that fortune telling machine out too. :)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I've been thinking of getting the complete series just so I can see some episodes other than the top 40. The list of favorites in this thread are all great but I find them dull now because they are the ones shown over and over and over. I don't really care to see "Nightmare at 20,000 feet" again but it did set up the greatest sci-fi geek joke on Third Rock From the Sun. Should I get Blu-ray or DVD. Blus are the best possible picture quality but the DVDs are half the cost and would be more portable, at least until there is a such a thing as a portable Blu-ray player.
Two of my favorites now in the original series would be Cliff Robertson in the 1800's winding up in the future looking for something to save his son's life and the one with Art Carney giving out gifts at Christmas and he ends up with the greatest gift of all.
However, my all-time favorite episode for a really interesting idea is "A Matter of Minutes" from the 1985 series. Whenever my keys are not where I left them I now know why.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, if we are going to discuss the 1985 series, my two all time favorites are Profile in Silver and The Once and Future King. I really like shows that consider what-if questions for historical figures and I also really like JFK. I liked the Elvis episode for similar reasons and the irony.
I have the 1980's series on DVD and will check out A Matter of Minutes as I don't think I've seen it yet.
Regarding the blu rays of the original series, I can tell you that the DVD of the Ultimate Edition is extremely good and definitely watchable. It has great contrast and film grain. The blu rays excel at clarity and contrast. Film grain is more defined and what blew me away was detail. The fabrics on clothes and hair is what I look at. As well as lines on the actors faces. I think there's pros and cons for both, but you win with either sets. You get the original pilot with the blu ray that Desi Arnaz introduces. That's another fun look at history.
I have not seen the Cliff Robertson episode you mentioned in ages! I'll have to take a look at that one again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks