What's new

This is how SEGA rewards the USA!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
I am curious as to how Sega is different than any other Japanese Gaming company when it comes to its treatment of America. The Japanese are always getting more and better deals when it comes to gaming. The inclusion of soundtracks and memorabilia , t-shirts, contests, you name it, they get it. Most of it doesn't make its way stateside. Games are still a much larger part of the culture there, and let's face it, it is their home turf.
Virtually all games (made in Japan) are released in Japan first, not just Sega's titles. To assert otherwise is foolish and ill-informed. What we get instead, since the games come here later, are bug fixes, extra levels or gameplay tweaks, an upping of the difficulty, things that actually make the game better. This doesn't happen on every title, of course, but it has been the rule far more than the exception in the past. These improved versions are then turned around and sold to the Japanese as "international" editions.
To single out Sega for some of the things they have been accused of in this thread while not admitting that most of the game companies in Japan act in a similar fashion is, again, foolish.
As for how the DC and its games did here in the states, I would like to quote an editor of dc.ign.com "If you didn't buy Jet Grind Radio, I hate you." I hate a lot of people.
------------------
"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The Japanese are always getting more and better deals when it comes to gaming. The inclusion of soundtracks and memorabilia , t-shirts, contests, you name it, they get it. Most of it doesn't make its way stateside. Games are still a much larger part of the culture there, and let's face it, it is their home turf.

No matter how much people whine about it, that stuff just doesn't sell over here.
I remember in the days of the SNES when everyone was whining and complaining that Ranma wasn't being brought over to the US. Someone finally took a chance on it, and it stunk! Never to be heard from again, and I doubt they made much money off of it.
There are a ton of games released in Japan that never see the light of day in the US, and we should actually be thankful in most cases that they don't. Unless the game is a sure fire hit or definitaly appeals to both markets, it's a bit of a gamble to bring a game over here.
------------------

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
The DC was a great system with great games. I have gotten much more out of my DC then my PS2 (so far)
As for piracy, yes that may have contributed to the DC demise ...but there are plenty of PSX and PS2 piracy rings around and those systems have done well. I fear that the software industry in general will always suffer from piracy. Anything Non-Tangable which can be lifted or copied will feel the bite of piracy. Yet, the industry continues to grow. Maybe not as much as some have hoped, but still has grown steadily overall.
I am not pissed at SEGA for making a business decision to drop the DC, as long as it was absolutely necessary. Could Sega have continued support of the DC? Perhaps if they were a smaller corporation, but being a publicly traded software giant, their investors are going to demand a return on their investments. Sega has to put up healthy profits, or they will be forced to downsize. This was the best move for them, and if you feel like you got screwed or that Sega is just in this for the money ...well you are right. They are in this for the money.
But I can certainly understand the sentimental attachments some have formed to Sega, and how some have thought of Sega as standing for something bigger or deeper than profits alone -I can see how you might feel let down, but who knows what the future may hold, and Sega still wants to be here 10 years from now.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Sega still wants to be here 10 years from now
...and I hope they are around for much longer than that. Or at least until they make a new Streets of Rage game!!!!
biggrin.gif
Just kidding

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I'm also saddened by the demise of the DC. I had a lot more fun with it than I did the PSX and N64 generation of games/consoles. Phantasy Star Online and Resident Evil Code Veronica were two games I'm glad I had the opportunity to play. I never held anything against Sega, even after buying the Sega CD (but I avoided the 32X.) I wanted the DC to bring Sega back to its Genesis heyday, but alas it was not meant to be. But as it's been said, I'm just glad Sega will still be making games. And hey, I'm all for a new Streets of Rage!
biggrin.gif
I'm still debating about the import for Shenmue 2, though it is tempting...

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Here's a real bug for NFL 2K2:
When you draft new players they all have the same number for each position:
QBs are all #19
RBs are all #39
WRs are all #85
DBs are all #36
LBs are all #55
Ks and Ps are all #2
etc...
This of course is illegal per rules of football. You can't have multiple players with the same number. Imagine getting in a 5 wr set with 5 #85s out there.
This is also a problem (though less as the players have several numbers to choose from) in NCAA 2K2. I'll get two defensive tackles with number 98 for instance.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm mad at Sega because
A-Shenmue 2 getting sold to the dark side
B-Cancelling Propeller Arena in all territories
I've been burned on their add-ons, and you know what, I'm happy. I love their games, and if they're going software only, well, I'll follow where they go.
Let's look at Sega's firsts
FIRST realistic 3-D (Master System, computer controlled LCD glasses)
FIRST 4Mb cartridge(Phantasy Star)
FIRST Battery backup(Miracle Warriors)
FIRST True 16-bit console
FIRST True 32-bit console
FIRST Stereo sound built in
FIRST RAM expansion cart
FIRST Free online gaming(Saturn modem if not the DC)
They make great games, they made great hardware. Believe me, all those little Sony and Nintendo fanboys are going to see the light RSL, because after years of Sega bashing, they'll find they make some really kickass games. Look at the sales of Crazy Taxi on PS2! Look at what the VF4 sales are going to be, and if anyone can help XBox get respect, it'll be Sega. Long live Sega, because they'd better, cause they owe me a REAL Phantasy Star sequel :)

Mitch Gurowitz

Auditioning
While I'm anything less than pleased-
I'm really happy that Sega will continue to exist!
The passing of SNK is bad enough, for Sega too stay in business my getting out of hardware is acceptable.
The Shenmue 2 thing is really upsetting though!

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Long live Sega, because they'd better, cause they owe me a REAL Phantasy Star sequel
I hope we all live a long time - Yuji Naki recently stated that there is no PSO2 for the foreseeable future, and that we are more likely to see PS0v3, PSOv4, etc... No word at all on a Phantasy Star not-online game.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Michael-
Sorry for taking so long to respond, I've been in North Carolina for the last week.
I thought Sega wasn't the first to bring online gaming to consoles for free. I'm sorry.
I can't remember all the games I own for DC, so is it that big of a deal that I don't remember every single game that I wanted that didn't come out in America.
I didn't like Shenmue. I heard Shenmue II would be better, and I was hoping for it to be. The lack of American voices would make it better no matter what, and from what I had read about it, it seemed to play better.
Sorry if this interrupts any other discussions.

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
Its a shame that sega decided to release certain games in Japan and Europe , but not the us. Shenmue 2 is one example, the other is a game I just picked up off of import, Headhunter. After playing it for about 3 hours I kinda felt bad than most people in the us will never get to play this game. While not revolutionary, Headhunter feels alot like a suped up Metal Gear Solid. Its alot of fun to play, and the the story line, which is told through cut scenes ala MGS, is also good.

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
it was an import from the uk, the entire game is english. you couldnt play the game if you couldnt understand the cut scenes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks