What's new

This is how SEGA rewards the USA!!!!! (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Even so, the DC had some pretty good first party games, one of which is Shenmue II. They should have released it in America, then released a special edition a year or so from now and not announced it until next E3. At least then we'd be happy.
Nothing's stopping you from buying Shen Mue2 on the DC, Morgan.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Sega has never shown anything that would support that they think America is as important to them as Japan. We are important, but nowhere as much as they consider Japan to be.
Right on. Hell, you can see it every day in PSO. We pay MORE to play online, yet the Japanese players get downloadable quests, contests, etc... American players get squat. And to rub salt in the wound, the Dreamcast was doing just fine in America, but had to cover the losses incurred by the DC in Japan.
But, Sega has to do what it needs to do to survive. I just wish Moore would stop using the word "agnostic" (or at least use it more appropriately).
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Sega wouldn't have had to create it's 2K sports franchise, which I think is far better than EA's (speaking strictly about NFL and NBA series). And now Sega will get to compete head to head with EA's sports series.

Sega's been going head to head with EA's sports games for quite some time. Just cause Sega keeps changing the names, doesn't mean they ever really stopped. The only difference now is they their games are actually competetive, where as before World Series Baseball was they only thing that was really even close.
------------------

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Sega and their 'rewards', Kelley (a member here) mentioned something about how Sega was going to make all the DC owners happy this winter. He never came out and told us what he meant but I'm curious if there's any truth to this. Perhaps all the titles will be reduced? I hope so as there's no way I'm paying $40 for a DC title now.
------------------
B00005LC4P.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305499128.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
0792846427.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305165912.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00003CXRM.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If Sega makes me popular and I get all the chicks, then I will be made happy. I don't see much else they could do.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, you never said what the 'killer games' Sega failed to release in the West that they released in Japan...
Not only can Morgan not name these 'killer games' that we allegedly got screwed out of, he doesn't name this mysterious 'free online' console gaming company before Sega...
I guess talk is cheap when you don't have to back up anything you say.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't X-Band free? Even if it wasn't, its not like you can't go online for free with a PC.
The DC had a lot of great games, most came out in Japan way before America or were never released in America. I can't really think of any specific titles, but I do remember there being a few Japanese games that were really good that I wanted.
I can get Shenmue 2 for DC, but no way in hell am I going to stress over it or put any effort more into getting it than just going to a store and buying it. The first one was disappointing and I was hoping for a reason to keep my DC out of storage.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
lies said:
So you don't like Shenmue, but when it fits your fanboy goals (bashing everything not Sony or Nintendo), you plead like a war crime victim over not getting Shenmue II.
You are the Jeremy Lancaster of the Gaming Area. You post in virtually every thread, peddling your petty little agenda, using lies and misinformation when it suits you. You crave attention and are more interested in hearing yourself talk and stirring things up than actually contributing to any discussion.
And if anybody wants to claim this is a personal attack, I'm happy to argue my case with supporting evidence: About a thousand posts and hundreds of threads that have degenerated into a mess.

IMO,the title of this thread should have been,"This how the USA rewards SEGA".Great hardware,awesome software selection,and the first internet ready gaming console.The system sold well enough,but thanks in large part to piracy (which REALLY ticks me off..those people need to get a job and BUY thr games they want!) the software sales began to suffer.It only makes sense when a company takes a loss on hardware and doesnt get enough software sales to get the profit they need something had to give.
I admit sega was not totally innocent after burning fans with the 32X and Sega CD,but this time they seemed to have nearly everything right,but didnt get the support they needed fromt he software sales.
And tell me if this makes sense.A developer says "the dreamcast doesnt have a large enough userbase at this point to have us make software for it." while at the same time working on software for the PS2 which wasnt even out at the time!!! (thus NO userbase)..EA if i remember correctly.
Just my opinion.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Boy....is it hot in hear or is it me...
biggrin.gif

I understand why Sega did what they did. I will always be a fan of Sega (even after getting burned by the 32x and sega cd). IMO they are the only company that can produce thos exceptionally offbeat titels that are on par with Nintendo's first party titles. The Dreamcast was by far IMHO there best system and I still to his day want to cry everytime I see the space for DC games diminish in local stores.
I would have liked Shenmue 2 but hey...Silent Hill 2 restless dreams has me rethinking my X-box purchase so here is just another title that may push me to buy the system even more......(after I get my Gamecube of course :)
[Edited last by Romier S on November 07, 2001 at 04:15 PM]

James D S

Screenwriter
quote: I can't really think of any specific titles...[/quote]
Then they must have been REALLY kick-ass for you to forget a name or two.
icon13.gif

quote: The Dreamcast was by far their best system.[/quote]
Here, here!
I'm a shooter fan, and there's no denying the Saturn has the only game in town for those. All in all, Sega has made me more satisfied than not. (Yes, I own a 32X and a Sega-CD. :) )
[Edited last by James D S on November 07, 2001 at 04:25 PM]

There were actually a couple of titles that got released in japan that were exceptional,that were never released here.Two of them that come to mind are Gunbird 2 and Guilty Gear X.Unfortunate that Capcom Vs. SNK 2 will never see the light of day on U.S. dreamcast.
Still,to this day,the dreamcast is far and away my favorite system of all time.I more than got my moneys worth out of it,and is still want to get more games for it.
Cant wait to see segas titles on X-box.
P.S...i also enjoyed 32X and Sega CD. The driving sections of batman returns were amazing.And to this day the 32X virtua racing is the best version there is. :)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
quote: There were actually a couple of titles that got released in japan that were exceptional,that were never released here.Two of them that come to mind are Gunbird 2 and Guilty Gear X[/quote]
Gunbird2 was released here by Capcom.
Guilty Gear X wasn't. It was released in Japan by a thirdparty though, & the PS2 version was picked up for a US release to marginal sales I'd imagine... As much as I'd have liked to see it too, I can't really blame Sega for not picking a 2D fighter up... They aren't stellar sellers without Capcom behind them... Costs would have been low on a US conversion though to counterbalance that. The Jap version is very very nice.
Again: what are these "killer games", Morgan, that Sega should have released over here? "Can't remember" doesn't cut it.
quote: I more than got my moneys worth out of it,and is still want to get more games for it.[/quote]
Indeed. I've got a nice healthy pile of games here & a nice long list of games to buy when funds allow. Helps having friends in the UK snapping up cheap games for me too :)
------------------
Nothing In Particular
[Edited last by BrianB on November 07, 2001 at 04:36 PM]
[Edited last by BrianB on November 07, 2001 at 04:41 PM]

yeah...that sounds about right.i havent imported too much recently,but i would love to get Guilty gear (I dont have a PS2).
Bottom line,i can understand being dissapointed by whats happened with the dreamcast (a system that deserved real success if there ever was one),but even in this relatively short lifespan,its had more grade A games than most systems have after a much longer shelf life..My DC aint going anywhere NEAR the closet,and will reside right next to the Xbox in my home.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Is $5 per month /really/ that much?
I don't have a problem paying $5 a month. That's why I do it. :) However, I do have a problem with paying more than the Japanese market & receiving less features. With PSOv1, it was easy to rationalize that since the Japanese market was paying monthly, they should receive contests, quests, etc... But now if we are paying more, shouldn't we at least receive the same features? As a sidenote, the download quests are the only way to obtain some items (without cheating).
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks