What's new

This is BEYOND DISGUSTING! (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The more I see in this topic the more it becomes obvious that William is trolling.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I don't know about trolling but it definitely seems to be some kind of put-on.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Unless it's April 1st it is pretty much the same thing. . . . . . . I've decided not to add any more posts to this topic in hopes that it just dies. Hopefully everyone else will stop too and just like a bad tv show, pass right by it and not turn it On. I've decided not to add any more posts to this topic in hopes that it just dies. Hopefully everyone else will stop too and just like a bad tv show, pass right by it and not turn it on.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
TonyD said:
The more I see in this topic the more it becomes obvious that William is trolling.
Trolling? I'm Sorry! :( I've had my rant, and have contacted those who are able to show concern. The Ball is in their court. I now step off the box.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Censorship, the American way. How about not watching it? Or not allowing your children to watch it? What's next? Censorship of websites? Movies? Music? "You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute."

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Mr645 said:
Censorship, the American way. How about not watching it? Or not allowing your children to watch it? What's next? Censorship of websites? Movies? Music? "You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute."
Ah, the old 'slippery slope' argument. The problem with that is, if you don't say 'no' to some things, you're saying 'yes' to everything. So what's next? Animal abuse? Snuff films? Are those cool with you as well, or would you actually step in at that point and impose some of that dreaded censorship? And by the way, movies and music do have ratings systems, as ineffectual as they sometimes are. At least there is an attempt being made to advise parents that some material may be inappropriate for children. Will we see the same on that family-hour episode of 'Fear Factor'?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof said:
Ah, the old 'slippery slope' argument. The problem with that is, if you don't say 'no' to some things, you're saying 'yes' to everything. So what's next? Animal abuse? Snuff films? Are those cool with you as well, or would you actually step in at that point and impose some of that dreaded censorship?
It's not hard to see that you can't refute the legitimate points made in this thread so you have to resort to making ridiculous analogies.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveHof

Ah, the old 'slippery slope' argument. The problem with that is, if you don't say 'no' to some things, you're saying 'yes' to everything. So what's next? Animal abuse? Snuff films? Are those cool with you as well, or would you actually step in at that point and impose some of that dreaded censorship?
And by the way, movies and music do have ratings systems, as ineffectual as they sometimes are. At least there is an attempt being made to advise parents that some material may be inappropriate for children. Will we see the same on that family-hour episode of 'Fear Factor'?

TV also has a ratings system, and a V chip. Parents can turn it on as they wish and program it. It's been there for a decade now.

our examples of snuff films and animal abuse re in different categories.. they constitute viewing illegal acts, and as such, they would never air. That's a strawman. What happened on Fear Factor may be gross, but it's neither illegal, forced, etc. After all, Anthony Bourdain has devoured some pretty sick stuff on his travels, and that show is well regarded.

It grosses you out. It grosses me out. I think the show is terrible - always have thought it was terrible - but I'm not sure if it needs a protest. I think the lack of viewers is enough to drive it off the air, it doesn't need the media attention to how cutting edge it is. Sometimes, picking a fight with something is just giving it the attention it wants.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
TravisR said:
It's not hard to see that you can't refute the legitimate points made in this thread so you have to resort to making ridiculous analogies.
If you say so. I was just curious as to whether there was any point at which you would step back from your anti-censorship stance. While the comparisons I made are extreme, it's not like that material isn't out there (see: movies like "Cannibal Holocaust", and any number of websites that feature videos of real people getting their heads chopped off, etc.). And Matt - you said these sorts of things would never air on television. And I say that 20 years ago, we would never have imagined that people would be drinking donkey semen on an NBC prime time program. Maybe this isn't the perfect place to take a stand, but shouldn't there be some point where people with healthy functioning minds can agree that a certain type of program is just wrong? Or have the concepts or right and wrong become so antiquated that everyone should be allowed to judge for themselves what is and isn't appropriate, for themselves and their children? There will always be some people who are drawn to the dark and depraved, but in an earlier time they at least had the good sense to be ashamed of it, and society had the moral obligation to make that material more difficult to find.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof said:
If you say so. I was just curious as to whether there was any point at which you would step back from your anti-censorship stance. While the comparisons I made are extreme, it's not like that material isn't out there (see: movies like "Cannibal Holocaust", and any number of websites that feature videos of real people getting their heads chopped off, etc.).
Most people express their distaste by not watching it. Shows that get poor ratings don't continue to air. I certainly won't be watching "Fear Factor", but I'm not willing to substitute my values for the values of those who do. What your argument boils down to is: I don't like certain content and don't want to watch it, and I don't think anyone else should be able to watch it either. Speaking for myself, I don't like "Fear Factor" and won't be watching it, but I could give a rat's ass whether the rest of America does or not.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam seems to share and nicely sum up my feelings on the matter. I would like to address this though...
DaveHof said:
...shouldn't there be some point where people with healthy functioning minds can agree that a certain type of program is just wrong?
Yes and I can easily say that drinking donkey urine and semen is wrong and I think most people in the world agree with that. However, society isn't crumbling because some guy is doing it on TV. There's always been and there always will be dopes who will do anything for money or attention. The amount of our exposure to media and need to fill all those outlets is all that has really changed. And I doubt that anyone who knows the guy that drank donkey urine and semen are going to be too kind to him. He will, rightfully, have to live that down every day for the rest of his life. 15 or 20 years from now, anyone who knows the guy will still be saying "That's the guy who drank donkey urine and semen on TV" to whoever they're with. As an aside, if someone had told me yesterday morning, how many times I would type the words "donkey urine and semen" in the next day, I wouldn't have believed them.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
An update on the program in question: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/fear-factory-donkey-semen-episode-killed_n_1240735.html

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
DaveHof said:
An update on the program in question: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/fear-factory-donkey-semen-episode-killed_n_1240735.html
Thank Heaven! :tu: NBC has chosen wisely. This stunt reeked of Beastiality, and should not have been done at all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What a shock! I'll try to start a prediction streak and say that Fear Factor's ratings will be up tonight because people will have read that the stunt is on. It's almost like NBC planned to do it this way all along.
Regulus said:
NBC has chosen wisely.
While you got what you wanted, NBC just used people like you to get free publicity for the show. That doesn't seem like a win to me. EDIT: Looking at ratings, I believe that Fear Factor last ran on January 10 and had 5.53 million viewers. When the ratings for tonight's episode come out tomorrow, I would be surprised if they're not much higher than that.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by TravisR
It's almost like NBC planned to do it this way all along.

Almost?!?

I don't think there was a chance in hell it would actually air. It was shot by the producers to drum up publicity.

It was not made clear of they pulled the entire episode or just the segment with the offending fluids. I assume the latter and the donkey fluids were shot to be eventually edited out.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Just got an E-Mail from PTC, and they are as MAD AS HORNETS! :laugh: As for this Episode, If they decide to release this series on DVD thay can have this episoded included as a "Bonus". :laugh: I would not object to that. (Bear in mind "The Other Side" has Shows they REFUSE to release on Video because They are offended by something in those shows). Just look up a certain Disney Movie that takes place on a Georgia Plantation for more info.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Regulus said:
Just got an E-Mail from PTC, and they are as MAD AS HORNETS! :laugh: As for this Episode, If they decide to release this series on DVD thay can have this episoded included as a "Bonus". :laugh: I would not object to that. (Bear in mind "The Other Side" has Shows they REFUSE to release on Video because They are offended by something in those shows). Just look up a certain Disney Movie that takes place on a Georgia Plantation for more info.
Yep. Censorship can be quite the minefield to navigate.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I don't really care if NBC shows the episode or not, I would not be watching it. As long as they have the choice to show it or not, that's fine with me.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Just a note of warning here - I went to the link posted on the cancellation of this show - and they have a picture of one of the contestants chugging from a beer mug...something I didn't want to see...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks