What's new

Thinking about buying a motorcycle. (1 Viewer)

wendortb

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis Wendorf
Chad: I have never been to paragon and don't have any reason to go there:) . I just moved to martinsville about 1 1/2 years ago to get out of Indy and buy a house with acreage.

I have been doing a lot of reading at totalmotorcycle.com. I don't mean to stray you from here but alot of the questions I see you asking have been answered several times over there. I have been reading that site for about a month and I won't be taking the brc until the end of july. At least I have my home theater to keep me happy for now.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

I don't know if you have signed up for the course yet or not but for indiana they have you go to abateonline.org to find open classes and get the form.(I called them, they said go to the website) There seems to be a decent wait for Indy, it is better off if you can go to a smaller town for the weekend to take the course if you want to take it sooner.

When you are ready to buy, you will have to try on some different bikes and just see what feels good. On a motorcycle you will want to be comfortable. With your height (I'm 6'2 so I am no dwarf) you will have make sure your knees don't hit the handlebars or anything. Maybe I will see you on the road next year when I am riding my bike.

I thought it was to engage the warp drive :D

Kay: Remember the little red button?
Jay: Yeah.
Kay: Push the little red button.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Too funny, I thought about it being an ejection seat button.

Its funny, work has been really slow but we are hourly so... we don't "leave early" very much. I went and picked up some bike mags today on lunch, Cruisers, Riders and Baggers. Baggers was a waste of cash ( imo) but the other two were pretty good reads. Both seem to like Vulcans pretty well ;). Somebody passed my desk and asked what I was looking at. I said Oh, I am going to buy a bike within the next year and showed a few pictures of bikes I am interested in, they almost looked at me different, I was instantly cooler. My daughter called her mom ( my ex wife,married for 7 years) and she just had to tell her I was going to buy a bike ( my daughter has always been obsessed with bikes for some reason) and when I had to get on the phone to make arrangements for their next visit ( I have full custody) she was like...Hey, how you doin? I don't want anything to do with that but I got a kick out of her reaction!

I found another bike or two I like, I really like the looks of this one

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/i...=1&itemID=1055

But I read a few things that concern me, like the suspension is not all that great, not such a smooth ride? I also found a Suzuki I like pretty well, I think it was a Boulavard.

I have been doing some serious boot shopping. I found a pair of Red Wings that I like pretty well and would probably wear on a regular basis, just don't know that I want to wear steel toed boots all of the time.

Checked out some info on the bike class, looks like you have to have boots for it, other items as well, but right out of the gate, other than helmets Boots look like the most expensive. Are biker jeans, with the pads and protection going to be as good as a biker suit? One article I read reccomended Carhart pants, that just seems too cheap / easy to me.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
The thing about that VTX is that you would not want to change the look of the bike with a windshield...but after you ride a couple of times at highway speed with no windshield, you will put one on, anyway.

The Nomad has a suspension dampening shock absorber system with four settings on the rear. I keep mine all the way up on four, but you can lower it or raise it to your own preference. The shocks are also air adjustable. I don't know about the VTX.

I wear River Road boots that are not steel toed. The difference between steel toes and non steel toes is not like the difference between non steel toes and sandals. Steel will add an extra bit of protection, but I always hear more about ankle support than I do about steel toes. My boots are lace-ups with side zips, and they do what they are supposed to do: support and protect the ankle.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Buzz, I have never really thought about the need to support my ankles while riding a bike, can you elobrate? Is this an issue druing normal rides or just for spills?

One of the mags I picked up yesterday ( left them at work) has what is a vtx retro bike but it had bags and a wind sheild etc. and they called it a touring bike... same bike otherwise.

I am still leaning towards a vulcan / nomad though. We took "her" twin girls up to visit their father this morning after their first t-ball game, which, by the way even though they don't keep score, the other team got their behinds handed to them!

I was talking to Nikki on the way and was telling her about safety gear we will need and how I want her to go through the course with me etc. She had the understanding that helmets were like $10 - $15. I said you can barely get a baseball helmet for that price. We went over some of the other itmes we will want /need. She commented on how her family rarely even wears helmets, they just get on with sneakers and shorts and away they go. I said not me! I pointed out bikers the whole way ( its about 45 minutes to get there) and was suprised to see just how many do wear gear. Only a few big dudes that were too cool for school and had tats of a hear and MOM on their arms did not have gear on. I also noticed a trend that a lot of sport bikers go without. They had their cute pastel polo shirts with cargo shorts, I think I saw one guy with flip flops on... not sure how that works with a clutch though!

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Yeah, those guys are pretty bone-headed. (The guys in shorts and flip-flops...not aimed at your inlaws.) I always have my gear, though I admit that in the summer, I do go with my half-helmet and my leather vest and t-shirt, rather than the leather jacket on the weekends. Alternatively, I have a lighter summer jacket that has armor padding in the elbows, etc.

The heaviest used joints in your body when you are on the bike will be your ankles when you stop, or if you slip a bit on sand or gravel, and instinctively put your feet out to stablize yourself. Think about trying to leverage 800 pounds of iron and one of your ankles is the fulcrum. Extra support is nice. It also helps when you have a less than coordinated moment and start to drive off a split second before you get one of your feet completely up off the pavement. A foot can slip back and the back of your boot catches on the passenger foot bar, and your foot can get pulled under, your ankle twisted, etc. The rigidity of the boot helps to pop your foot out without twisting your ankle up. The Redwings you looked at, were they slip-ons? I would reccommend lacers, but I also ski, and I am used to putting good, firm support on my feet.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Wow, so many things I have not considered about shoes and using your feet in general, thanks. And thanks to everybody that has taken part in in this thread. I am glad you have all overlooked my ignorance and been willing to teach!

The Red Wings were slip ons. For some reason, I have always thought riding with slipon shoes would be a big no no ( laces getting cought in the chain etc) but I guess you can always tuck them away?

Just an off topic reccomendation. We just finished watching Smoking Aces, what a fun ride!

Ok, back to Bikes... Above I mentioned chains. On my old bicycles, I always had a bit of an issue with chains slipping off frequently. Is this as much of an issue on a motor bike?

Also, I am trying very hard to quit smoking right now, so hopfully by the time I start riding this wont even be an issue. I have seen countless riders with a smoke in their mouth, how does that even work? Granted, a windsheild will be great, their head is above the top of the glass. Seems like the wind would just blow it out.

One last thing for tonight. I take pleasures in the smaller odder things. I get the biggest kick out of it when I let a cemi in front of me and he flashes his lights to thank me, it totally makes my day... I even get a bit bummed when they don't flash me. I take the same pleasure in seeing bikers wave at each other, no mater what the ride, they always drop their arm down to say "hey".

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Bike boots have laces that will be too short double tied to get caught in anything, and they will be under your jeans, anyway. Besides, the Nomad is shaft drive...no chain, anyway.

I used to smoke. Had to just stop a lot. Once an hour did it. I imagine my ass will wear out first, now. :)

Ahh...the biker "wave". Put two fingers down. It means, "keep two down", aka, "keep your two wheels on the ground", or "ride safe". Sometimes you get this from mopeds or guys with trailered bikes. Your choice to respond. Don't forget that you may salute another biker who has his hand operating the clutch and can't respond. Don't take it personally if he/she doesn't.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Buzz,
Wish you had recomended those a day earlier.
Bought the slipon Redwings just before I read your post.
Wore them today while I was working in the barn just to break them in, what got broke was the skin on my leg. Am I supposed to be wearing knee socks with these things? The top edge rubbed me raw.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Well...I wouldn't call me the authority on boots, or anything. I'm sure they'll be fine. I've twisted ankles before, and I take no chances these days.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Also about 'the wave', there are many ways you can wave on a bike: 2 fingers down, thumbs up, the regular wave, a raised 'fightin' the man' fist', etc etc etc. I would waste time trying to determine if there is an elaborate code going on (some speculate there may be....)

There are really 3 things to watch out for

1. Wave: Just being friendly
2. Knuckles on helmet: (No, they aren't waiting for someone to answer the door, this gesture means Speed Trap Ahead. Somebody said it had something to do with mortars and WW2.....)
3. 1 finger salute: Somebody doesn't like you, or you cut them off.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Here are my boots: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-boots/oxtar/. CE-approved. They may look a little out of place on a cruiser though. :)

You can wear regular jeans for the class, but for riding at speed you should wear the special padded jeans at a minimum. Helmets don't have to be really expensive, all helmets sold in the USA conform to the DOT safety regulation which is sufficient and rigorous. There are a more rigorous regulations, from the European "CE" and US based Snell Memorial Foundation. There is a great deal of debate as to whether the more rigorous helmet standards really help on the street. For a cruiser at least get a 3/4 helmet, ro a Full Face if you feel comfortable with it. I have a 3/4 I almost never wear. www.agv.com has an online outlet store where they occasionally have really fantastic bargains, and they are a very very good helmet manufacturer.

BTW the VTX 1300 is a good bike, but a little large, and not exactly a looker, at least to my eyes. See if you can find some of the 1100 Shadows, they'll be smaller and easier to maneuver, but still look good and be big enough for you. And a lot less expensive also.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I was sitting at work flipping through my Crusier mag. One of my co workers ripped it out of my hands. She had been down all morning and I asked what was going on. I guess her husbands best friend was riding yesterday. A guy went to cross the street ( on foot) and did not see the bike ( HELLO?!?). The "driver" swerved to miss him, flipped the bike, he passed early this morning.

Last night, we picked up the twins from their father and we were on our way home on the interstate. I had to slow down as the line of traffic in front of me stopped, cemi on my left and I was in the far right. Some bozo flew up behind us, I ran off in the shoulder to avoid getting hit, he just about hit the car that was in front of us. He took off behind the cemi and I got pissed.. probably too pissed, but you just don't mess with my kids, YOU DONT. I caught up with him, honked and flipped him off. He waved and took off. I followed behind for a ways and watched him make 3 or 4 phone calls.

Bike, no bike.. people HAVE to start paying attention.

That said, I still want a bike! As the weather gets warmer and warmer I see so many sweet rides and just day dream wishing I was on one of them. I do get a bit disturbed at how little people protect themselves. Even if you all were not so adamant about safety, I would of at least gotten a helmet first thing. I see people with SHORT shorts, tank tops etc. While it might be more comfortable in the here and now...

What can I expect in the beginners course? I read through it but how much time will I actually spend on a bike? I can't learn reading a book or watching videos, I have to be doing it.

My daughter has been telling everybody I am getting a bike.. my mom asked me about it yesterday, I just told her I would wear a helmet and give her the first ride.... she was fine with it then.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Yeah, but this one has lots of motorcycles in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRR8Y...elated&search=

Please don't watch around kids, wives, mothers, God, republicans, democrats or men of the cloth.

Did some reading last night. I have noticed that there are foot "pedals" on both sides of a bike. I knew one side was to shift gears, but was almost suprised to see that the other side was brakes, especially knowing they are on the right handle as well. It said to use both at the same time. Why? Why is it not like a car, one pedal and it controls front and back?

Kids second T Ball game was tonight, on the way out I saw a nice looking bike. It was a Yamaha Roadmaster, it also said Silverado. I was getting the chairs into the van and watched the guy ride off. Now, when you have to back a bike up, is it all on your legs or does it have any reverse? I also noticed that before he took off he reached down on the left side of the bike and pushed/pulled something and away he went.

Kickstands worry me! How bad is it parking on hot asphalt in the middle of summer? I am concerned the stand will sink and the bike will fall over. I have never see this happen but I am sure it does. How badly can a bike be damage if it falls like that? Badly equates to $$$

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Chad,
Some one else may have mentioned this book, but you may want to read, "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough. I'm about halfway through it and I'm learning a lot.

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer
I had my bike fall over once. I had it parked where I work, and it needed to be moved. Well someone took it upon themselves to move it instead of getting me. The bike was not stared, and the kid was rolling it. He dropped it. $3K in damage.

It all depends on the bike, and how it drops. Every situation is different.

Kickstands, very common in the summer to let a bike fall.

And you don't want the brakes to be one. Hit that front brake level to hard and over the bars you will go. And that is without question.

Here is a lesson on how to use your front brakes properly.

But is some situations you want to hit the front harder then the rear brakes.

It's all coordination. After awhile it becomes second nature.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
"And you don't want the brakes to be one. Hit that front brake level to hard and over the bars you will go. And that is without question."

I was told my my MSF instructor that this is bunk. You are MUCH better off in an extreme braking situation to use the front brake harder than the rear. If you lock the front brake, you can let off of it and regain control. if you lock the rear, your rear tire will start to slide, misaligning the bike, and if you don't ride the locked brake to a stop and instead try to let off and regain control, you are less likely to be able to.

At 18,000 miles, my front brake is 25% used, and the rear is 15% used.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Gotta be careful of that. I've been known to make pretty big divets in hot asphalt. Some people carry around little plaques to put under their kickstands. Some bikes have big wide long kickstands that don't have much of a problem. I dropped my bike at a dead stop when it was 2 years old. Repair was in the $2000 area, but that was for a sport touring bike that I wanted to be LIKE NEW. Keep that in mind when you're shopping. You will drop your bike at parking lot speeds or a dead stop when you're a new rider. Crash bars on cruisers are nice.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Your msf instructor was correct. The fear of the front brake is an unfortunate myth that continues to cost many motorcyclists their lives and injury. Another good reason to take the MSF course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks