What's new

Think I lost my woofers in one of my Paradigm Monitor 7s.... (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welp, they lasted over 10 years but I think I've got a problem in one of my main speakers. I actually thought it was operator error last time I hooked em up, couldn't figure out why I was getting constant phase errors when I used Audessy on my 3806.... Well I moved houses and attached it to the new 3312CI with improved Audessy and it came back reporting the same thing! I got close to the speaker and sure enough only the tweeter is working and nothing is coming out of the woofers when music and movies play. It may have actually been damaged for 2-3 years and I lived with it this long due to having my sub handle most of the low end I guess....
So thinking of a few options:
-buy a single replacement monitor 7 off ebay. Long shot I guess.
-Try to have it repaired. Is that even possible?
-buy a new pair of equivalent fronts from Paradigm and keep the rest of my speakers - Ooof would be over $800 I bet.
Anyone have any other suggestions? Might it still be operator error somehow? Is there anything I can do to service it myself? I reseated the clamp holding the upper and lower binding posts together, any advantage to removing that and using one or the other set? It has something to do with the difference between 4 and 8 ohm ratings, right?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Try emailing paradigm and see if they have any replacement drivers on hand or some other suggestions.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It could also be something as simple as a loose wire inside the cabinet or part of the crossover failing. Until you open it up and dig deeper we can only guess at your exact issue. First, pull the woofer out and see if the wires are connected. Test the resistance with a multi-meter. That should tell you definitively if that is your issue.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah, -SOFTWARE- engineer here, wires are scary =p
Seriously tho, I am not even sure how hard these are to crack open, but will give it a shot.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I reseated the jumpers and the terminal plugs and that seems to have fixed the issue where it didn't the first time I tried it. So it seems bullet dodged for now, but at least I got to find out where my local dealers are and talked to a few smart guys in the biz.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's why I solder all of my connections when I build speakers. You never have to worry about a loose wire.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Those jumper plates seem to cause a lot of problems. I've had that happen to me too. Maybe that's why some people replace the plates with good old fashioned speaker wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks