What's new

Think I have decided and will buy tv tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Scott Lang

Agent
found a guy locally who somehow ordered 2 of these and was going to refuse one when it came in shipping and get his money back. But instead offered to sell to me for the same price and I save money on shipping or taxes. $1400 total.

42" Westinghouse LVM-42W2, 1.0 firmware

iv read a few bad things about this tv if its not the 1.0 FW, but if it is supopsed to be a great set. I was at BB a week ago and saw this on display and was amazed. Honestly it got a better picture than any tv they had not in the Magolia room. Me and another customer were just standing there amazed. Then come to find out BB is out of them and have 0 in their warehouses.

anyone know much about this set?

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
I have that set!! it is a great set and for the price you should buy it!!! get you the avia disc if you don't have it (it was set pretty close for me from the factory) and enjoy 1080p!!!

Scott Lang

Agent
do you have the 1.0 firmware? Do you know how to tell the difference when its brand new in box?

do you have a ps3 or anyway of utilizing the 1080p? Iv read problems about "sparkles" when trying to play ps3 in 1080p with hdmi slots... but supposidly the 1.0 firmware has no issues.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but how well do you know this guy. Be sure you are getting a brand new set and that you will be eligible for the manufacturer's warranty. If it all checks out, enjoy!

Scott Lang

Agent
well its just some guy I found on Craigslist. He is an older man. I have actually talked to his wife and him. I have his home, cell and business phone number. He ordered it online somewhere and somehow got 2 of them. They are scheduled to be delivered to his house tomorrow. He put the ad up on Craigslist for $1400 which is what he paid for it and said he was planning on refusing the shipment if he didnt get any calls. I called and offered him the $1400. He said he isnt making any money on the deal, but just seemed easier for him to get the cash from me rather than going through the hassel or refusing and trying to get refund.

i figure once he actually accepts the shipment he has the tv, so Ill be a little picky and make sure it looks all good. Worst case senario is I tell him I dont want it and leave. No money has exchanged hands. But I did inform him that I have 0 intrest in the tv if its not the 1.0 firmware. He said when it ships in tomorrow his wife is gonna read the outside of the box and if its not the 1.0 firmware they are going to refuse shipment, if it is he is going to accept it and sell to me.

now that its explained out a little, does it sound fishy to anyone? I really didnt have any weird feelings about it, but now you guys got me nervous. If he provides some sort of reciept from the online store am I okay? What should I look for?

I can buy the same tv online for $1390 from pricegrabber but then I have to mess with waiting 2 weeks for shipping, etc and then not even certain its the 1.0 firmware until I recieve it. This just seems like an easy way to go. My local Best Buy is sold out and cant order anymore (not to mention $100 more plus Id have to pay taxes)

Doug, that is the new 720p version. The one Im getting is 1080p version.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

I am not sure why anybody would buy a Westinghouse for that money, when
you could buy a Panasonic plasma for about the same money.

1080p means not much when considering contrast ratio, color accuracy, gray scale accuracy, and the ability to reproduce the entire NTSC color space. (or ATSC color space for that matter).

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Hi Gregg. This is a set that I am considering as well. Have you worked with this set before and can confirm that it has problems in the areas you mentioned?

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator

well i play video games PS3 on mine and didnt want to have any worries about burn in...the picture looks great regardless...
the blacks are not BLACK but for the most part with light in the room you can't tell...really only if you are watching something that has bars at the top and bottom...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks