What's new

Things that bug you about your favorite movies... (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Although I practically worship PJ's LOTR, there's bits in the first two films which IRK:

There's a bit too much 'aww and wonder' going on whenever they see something new. Gimli is particularly guilty of this.

The river scenes in Fellowship. Legolas senses something in the forest and prompty looks over his left shoulder to the sound of dramatic music. All very good, except that he's looking THE WRONG WAY. They're travelling south. The Uruks are coming from Isengard (west). He should be looking over his right shoulder. There's also an incorrect direction mentioned when they're chasing the Uruks in TTT.

Oh - and Gandalf announcing the arrival of the Balrog. Sorry PJ, that's Legolas' line and it shouldn't have been changed.

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator

Didnt Silver have to hit the heart. I thought Blade gets stabbed by one of those by Quinn later in the movie.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Bryant: "There was an escape from the off-world colonies two weeks ago. Six replicants, three male, three female. They slaughtered twenty-three people and jumped a shuttle. An aerial patrol spotted the ship off the coast. No crew, no sight of them. Three nights ago they tried to break into Tyrell Corporation. One of them got fried running through an electrical field. We lost the others. On the possibility they might try to infiltrate his employees, I had Holden go over and run Voigt-Kampff tests on the new workers. Looks like he got himself one. [...]"

Bryant: "Nexus 6. Roy Batty. Incept date 2016. Combat model. Optimum self-sufficiency. Probably the leader. This is Zhora. She's trained for an off-world kick-murder squad. Talk about beauty and the beast, she's both. The fourth skin job is Pris. A basic pleasure model. The standard item for military clubs in the outer colonies. They were designed to copy human beings in every way except their emotions. The designers reckoned that after a few years they might develop their own emotional responses. You know, hate, love, fear, anger, envy. So they built in a fail-safe device."

Deckard: "Which is what?"

Bryant: "Four year life span."
had escaped from the off-world colonies?

Brad

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Somebody has to mention an older movie; someone like me.

The Music Man. I really, really love this film, corny as it is, more than any other musical, but the big finale fried me 40 years ago when I first saw it in the theater, and every time since when I watch it on video.

I'm ok with everything until the very end when, after Harold Hill is off the hook, the boy's band turns into this humongous marching band. Great! This should have been a wonderful scene, but, to my astonishment, no one can march! Everyone is wildly out of step. It's simply a hodge-podge of bodies walking down the street. And then when Harold Hill made a turn, the bulk of the band kept walking straight. I don't care if anyone could play but my stars, why couldn't the producers have seen that they had to know how to march? It's the big finale; surely a call to all the local marching bands - high school, college, whatever - who presumeably know how to march, would have had an overwhelming response.

Big letdown.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
SPIDERMAN Organic webshooters
I think this was actually done quite well, and I'm not going to gripe about it since I think if they chose to make the actual mechanical webshooters it would've seemed a bit hokey. Call me crazy, but in a movie opposed to a comic, it just doesn't seem like it would belong.

One movie I have to complain about which most would agree with would be Dark City. Keifer Sutherland's voiceover in the beginning is going to: a) ruin a later part of the movie, b) potentially confuse a first-time viewer, or c) insult a movie-viewer's intelligence.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Emilio Estevez in The Breakfast Club. The scene where he gets stoned runs around the library screams and breaks the window. TBC is my all time favorite movie, but I have always HATED that scene.
Good Lord! I totally forgot how much I hated that scene.

Do you know of a single person who, after sparking the owl, starts gyrating and pracing around like a demented Solid Gold Dancer, demonstrating questionable feats of acrobatic skill by galloping over library shelves and turning cartwheels?

CHRIST!!! :angry:

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator
When asked by a local why the Battle of Stirling Bridge was filmed on an open plain, Gibson answered that "the bridge got in the way". "Aye," the local answered. "That's what the English found."

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
When Obi Wan "the ghost" sits on a rock.
lol. fortunately thats not even close to a favorite film of mine otherwise i would be here all day.

Re: the Halloween head tilt- when i first saw this in the theater- before the deluge of slasher flicks that followed, this was the scene that most creeped me out. i thought it was brillant. Mike Meyers just 'hung up' his artwork and he's showing child-like fascination with his work- i've seen the movie so many times since, so its lost its edge a little, but that little bit was inspired.

Spider-man

from "i surrender!"
"oh boy"
to trying to strafe a running spider-man with the gliders machine guns- this whole sequence really drives home
what a horrible decision it was to try to give the goblins costume a realistic rationale- the costume may be more logical (in a film about a boy bitten by a spider and becoming a superhero :rolleyes:) but it completely lacks an essential element of what made the comic goblin such a great comic book character- a creepy, menacing, character design that had a sense of panache about it.

and the strafing run just looks lamely executed.

the hospital scene.
i thought it was originally just a case of bad/no chemistry
between Dunst and Maguire, but the writing is not very good either. every single time i've watched this scene i've caught myself thinking ahead to what i'm going to do when the movie is over- this happens again in the graveyard scene.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The HowlingThe part at the end where Karen transforms on TV. She looks like a Yorkshire terrier, not a wolf. There was no need to make her cute in wolf form that I can think of.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Re: The Howling
The Howling commentary specifically mentions this and how Karen was supposed to be cute as opposed to scary as she was "nice" throughout the movie. :rolleyes:She should have changed and ripped out her co-anchor's heart!

And, also, let's not forget the "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" song in Star Trek V! Or perhaps we should.......

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
THE LION KING... The entire "Hakuna Matata" sequence can go. Each time I watch it, it leaves me pissed off for the next several minutes while I try to put it out of my head and enjoy the rest of the film. Even the lighter musical numbers before it have a certain reverence and don't break the mood, but this one sucks IMO. I despise the Timon character to begin with because I find Nathan Lane insufferable. The lyrics to the song referring to the warthog's flatulence seem like nothing more than a easy grab for laughs from little kids and immature adults. The head wagging to the rhythm of the music as the characters cross the spanning log (transition from childhood to adulthood) looks stupid as hell and brings the film down a notch. I truly admire the rest of the film (excepting the first two lines of lyric in Jeremy Iron's song with the hyenas, which are imbecilic...shame on you, Mr. Rice!), so this five minute sequence annoys the crap out of me. When this film first came out, kids everywhere were singing that moronic song, so I suspect I'm in the minority here.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The howling:Making her cute plays down the idea of how dangerous she is and why she needs to die. Doesn't work very well that way, IMHO.

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
What bugs me about many of my favourite films, e.g Sansho the Bailiff, Andrei Rublev, Paris Texas, Sunrise, Alice in the Cities, Maborosi, The Green Ray, Seven Samurai, Mirror, La Regle du Jeu, Story of the Late Chrysanthemums, Abraham Valley, Tales of the Taira Clan, Letter from an Unknown Woman, The Band Wagon, Late Spring, Night of the Hunter, Tokyo Story, The Searchers.. is that relatively few people have seen (or properly appreciate) them! Many of the greatest films are shamefully neglected for no other reason than they are older classics or in a "foreign language". Imagine if we adopted such an attitude towards great paintings!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - the infamous desert love scene. Crop out that sequence that is out of place with the rest of the film and you have near perfection in a movie.

Nick-G

Agent
RE: blade runner
If you notice, eyes are a running theme in the movie, and there's something about how the eyes of replicants shine strangely. Then, later on Deckard's eyes shine in just that way. Also if you've ever read the P.K. Dick book, I think I remember it is made a little more clear that Deckard is a replicant. As to how it could be possible, I think it is a combination of a "total recall" type memory thing and a "sixth sense" kind of thing since they say that some replicants don't even know they are replicants.

Personally I'm going to have to go with Neo's really dumb "kung fu" poses in the Matrix, especially the one when he's fighting Smith in the subway and he looks like he wants to be the "Y" for the Village People.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
From Star Trek: First Contact: "Assimilate this!"

That line was really out of place, particularly for the character who spoke it.

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Star Wars:ANH

When the trash compactor starts up, and Han Says:

"One thing's for sure, we're all going to be a lot thinner!"

Man, I hate the line way more than Luke's whiny Toshii station line!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks