What's new

Things move to "Very Bad" on the Sony/PSN Front.. (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For what it's worth, I was a day one adopter of PSN+ (and will likely support it in the future, simply because I like the concept, and hope Microsoft picks up a few ideas from it), but have since ceased purchasing PS3 games of any sort, save for system exclusive titles. I have literally dusted off my 360--previously only used for Mass Effect 1 and 2--and have actually re-purchased some games so that I have them on my new "console of choice."

From now on, barring some ground breakingly-awesome deal by Sony, all console-neutral games, including all downloadable titles, will be on my 360. My PS3 will mostly be used to play bluray, now.

I kid you not, I finished my last law school exam of the year and come home with an armful of games, ready for a summer of video gaming and relaxing, and just minutes after sitting down, the PSN is fubar. I was sad.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Jeff Cooper said:
I'm not particularly familiar with how guilds work, but your post has me curious. What are the ramifications of the downtime, and how has it killed the guild? Folks just lost interest and moved on to other things, or something else?
Yup, pretty much. Add on top that they don't trust Sony or believe their lies about how soon the game will be back up.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

For what it's worth, I was a day one adopter of PSN+ (and will likely support it in the future, simply because I like the concept, and hope Microsoft picks up a few ideas from it), but have since ceased purchasing PS3 games of any sort, save for system exclusive titles. I have literally dusted off my 360--previously only used for Mass Effect 1 and 2--and have actually re-purchased some games so that I have them on my new "console of choice."

From now on, barring some ground breakingly-awesome deal by Sony, all console-neutral games, including all downloadable titles, will be on my 360. My PS3 will mostly be used to play bluray, now.

I kid you not, I finished my last law school exam of the year and come home with an armful of games, ready for a summer of video gaming and relaxing, and just minutes after sitting down, the PSN is fubar. I was sad.

Yep, I've been a PSN+ user from the beginning. I've bought a rack of PSN titles. PixelJunk titles were always going around (Pixeljunk monsters is near perfect, IMHO); and I love the base system. I had some complaints, but I could live with it.

The PS3 was the most played system in our house - because Little Big Planet was HUGE here. Now the kids spend most of their time on Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Zelda; or they switch to the XBOX for titles there..

I have really mixed feelings about how this went down and what Sony should do to make this right. For PSN+ customers, this was a real hose job. Sony's information (or lack thereof) has not been encouraging. The two most expected titles for me of the year (Infamous 2 and Unchartered 3) are now up in the air; PSN+ users were supposed to have growing access to the beta worlds of Unchartered3 this month.. where is that (nowhere)

If I were a vendor, especially a vendor tied to these things, I would be furious. All I want from Sony is for them to come out and say: here is our plan. Here's what's going to happen. Hey, we'll put Netflix outside of PSN login. And so on.. some of the worst crisis management I've ever seen. Nintendo and MS have to be laughing themselves silly

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I read the reports today and some media articles that were updated on May 14th. It seems Sony is trying to get PSN back, but it will take until the end of May for it to fully come back to normal. That's provided everything goes correctly and there is nothing else. The first it says will be getting games to play, updates, Hulu and Netflix. Their Playstation Store is going to take longer. Also, over in the IGN and Gamespot forums, users are reporting that certain states are getting access before others and the USA and some others are going on-line first, then Asia and eastern areas.

According to what I have read, this would also explain why I have had trouble with some of my games and others either have not or it has been erratic for them. Depending upon your state and region, it may or may not work for you. Many users are saying what works for some does not yet work for them, though it's expected to just be a matter of time. Also, it seems they can't handle the load yet of everyone and there may be other technical issues going on for why they are doing it in stages. It's anyone's guess at this point, not even the media has exact details on this.

Anyway, I know from reading the forums on various game sites that many besides myself are switching their games that are cross-platform over to the 360 if they own one. Many are also disappointed in how little Sony is doing to get people back besides saying sorry it took them longer and here's some junk you really don't want.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that I'm honestly surprised at how much of an effect the PSN being down has had on their business. Personally, I rarely play games online (either with strangers or friends) and don't buy/download too much off the PSN Store. My biggest use of online so far has been Netflix streaming.

Sure, this took a few weeks and was a hassle, but is just a few weeks of downtime really worth THIS MUCH anger or people willingly jumping ship to another platform? I also don't place the blame for this on Sony and, frankly, don't really feel like I'm entitled to anything as repayment. That said, I'm not a PS+ subscriber (anyone paying for services absolutely should be compensated somehow).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So, Sony gave people 1 month of "coupons" with games that are shareware attached unless they keep paying the fee.
Supposedly, Sony is going to pony up to enroll all PSN members in a credit protection service for a year. But that is what they should be doing just to correct this mess. I agree, screw the PSN+ free for a month thing, they should just credit a certain amount into everyone's PSN wallet.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The problem with that is there are some people who have multiple accounts on one PS3 or people who had accounts but then sold their console and no longer have access to them. Putting money in everyone's PSN wallet wouldn't necessarily work. Giving out content for free to anyone who can get online (games, movies, subscriptions to MMOs, etc.) is the easiest way for them to reimburse people for lost time. The process for getting the credit check service is probably going to be a hassle, but it's absolutely worth them doing.

That said, have there been any legitimate stories of people having their credit compromised from this?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Identity theft can happen even if the credit card table wasn't compromised. Healthnet had a similar situation and enrolled people in a one year credit protection program and they don't have people's credit card information.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

Spoken like someone who has never had to deal with identity theft...

He wasn't talking about identity theft; he was talking about the incredible outrage over the length of time the network's been down. Heck, in terms of ID theft, I'm *glad* that Sony is taking the time to get things right instead of rushing it back up.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Looks like the "We're Sorry" package includes a year of ID theft protection, 30 days free PSN Plus for everyone and 60 days for existing PSN Plus subbers, plus 2 free games from a list of 5 (as well as a few other things). Seems pretty decent.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Looks like the "We're Sorry" package includes a year of ID theft protection, 30 days free PSN Plus for everyone and 60 days for existing PSN Plus subbers, plus 2 free games from a list of 5 (as well as a few other things). Seems pretty decent.

It's a big meh to me. That games list is bunk:

• Dead Nation
  • Infamous
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Super Stardust HD
  • WipeOut HD + Fury

Most PS3 gamers are will versed in infamous and LittleBigPlanet, both have been system pack ins. WipeOut was already also offered free when the PSN+ debuted. So really, there are only 2 games being offered that Sony hasn't given away in the past. Dead Nation was shit in the demo. Super Stardust I'm unfamiliar with but it doesn't really like a fire under me either. So as a PSN+ user, it's doesn't really feel like much compensation. :S

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Have you received official notice? I haven't gotten any email from PSN...

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Russell G

It's a big meh to me. That games list is bunk:

• Dead Nation
  • Infamous
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Super Stardust HD
  • WipeOut HD + Fury

Most PS3 gamers are will versed in infamous and LittleBigPlanet, both have been system pack ins. WipeOut was already also offered free when the PSN+ debuted. So really, there are only 2 games being offered that Sony hasn't given away in the past. Dead Nation was shit in the demo. Super Stardust I'm unfamiliar with but it doesn't really like a fire under me either. So as a PSN+ user, it's doesn't really feel like much compensation. :S

I agree on almost all fronts. However, Dead Nation is actually really good, and impressed me in virtually every area---the lighting was especially good considering the price of the game.

I suspect most gamers already have at least two titles from that list (I personally have all 5), so I agree: it's bunk.

Oh well. I'm so done with PS3 (save console exclusives that I consider must-buys). I've already purchased 8 new 360 titles in the last 3 weeks, so it looks like my PS3 will mostly serve as my BD player and media hub (I strongly dislike the 360's media sharing compared to the PS3's).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not in my SPAM. And all other Sony stuff got through. Maybe they're just doing it in waves since there are millions of affected people.

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Check your spam folders. Thats where mine went.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm in Canada, so I don't see myself being part of any credit security service plan whatever it is they're offering. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks