What's new

Things a 21 year old man should know how to do? (1 Viewer)

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
I guess it would depend on what society you live in. I know that in some societies, reading and writing are not important, much less necessary for survival. I bet that even here in the US, there is a handful of people 21 years old that cant read or write.

I think that the necessary things for a 21 year old guy should know are:

- Self-Protection (from not only others, but the elements as well)

- How to find/grow food, prepare it, and eat it.

- Some sort of communication skill, spoken or otherwise. Without human contact, a person will go insane.

- How to reproduce (sex).

- How to obtain other necessities (clothing, fire, shelter, etc...)

-ikiru

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
- Change a diaper.

- Manage a checking account.

- Manage a revolving credit account.

- Touch Type.

- Wash hands when done using the toilet. (Ladies, you'd be surprised.)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
* How to do basic roadside maintenance on any Japanese streetbike (even sportbikes, which have all that ABS plastic).

* Basic high-speed cornering skills (even if you're riding a cruiser-style machine).

* Knowing how to ellude cops on twisty roads.

* Being able to do all the routine maintenance--changing oil, spark plugs, etc.

* Knowing how to read road-test reports in Motorcyclist and Cycle World.

* Understanding the ATSC standards.

* Knowing the basic Stanley Kubrick filmography.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Understanding the ATSC standards
Geez Jack that requires knowledge of discrete Fourier analysis.
* Know how to find cheap parts in a junk yard so you can fix your beater car.
* Know how to avoid annoying a cop if you find yourself in a situation requiring it.
* Know how to tie a bowline.
* Know how to shoot and maintain a rifle.
* Know how to navigate from maps.
* Know how to be polite and respectful to old farts like me....

Jason Handy

Second Unit
To quote a famous songwriter:
You gotta:
1) Know when to hold 'em
2) Know when to fold 'em
3) Know when to walk away
4) Know when to run
This applies to both card games and women (or men, whatever the case may be) :D
And last but not least, I think it is absolutely critical that a 21 year old man should know how to shake another's hand and look them in the eye when they meet. You have no idea what kind of impression this makes on people. My father taught this to me at a young age: a firm handshake and an honest look goes a long way to making someone like you.
Nothing says wimp like a weak handshake.
Cheers,
Jason

Janna S

Second Unit
Jason - that's a great one (handshake and look someone in the eye). Very good skill.

Also:

- write a decent thank you note.

- offer appropriate condolences.

- offer appropriate congratulations.

- remember in some limited way the birthdays, anniversaries, etc. of people who are significant in your life.

- carry on appropriate light conversations with strangers, relatives, and people other than your peers or women you are trying to score with.

-know and use "its" and it's" properly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"How to wash your clothes without significant shrinkage or turning everything pink"
Or, how to marry a good woman who can do those things for you (or, in the case of my younger sister: marry a good man who can do those tings for her) :)
(Since I'm still single, I've had to learn all those things and more).

DennisHP

Second Unit
How about simply do whatever it takes to survive. 100 years ago that would mean much more than it does now. However, if, at 21, you can't setup and maintain a household and everything that entails, you better be able to find a mate who has a low enough self esteem that helping you makes them feel better about themselves. And leave mommy and daddy out of it. They won't be around forever to wipe your arse and pass out bucks.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
By 21 you should have figured out that you need to tell women what they want to hear.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
This should be an art by the age of 12...
Hell, im 4 years behind!!! I havent even gotten REMOTELY near a bra of a girl... :b now matthews whining that HE'S the most pathetic teenager? I dont think so! :frowning: :D

brian a

Second Unit
Quick thread hijack-

I never got the expression 'rob peter to pay paul.' It sucks for peter, but you and paul seem to come out of the deal ok. I don't think it means what it's supposed to mean.

brianca...

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
So Vince, let's review shall we? This has provided a wealth of insight for your expository class, into the collective understand of what it is to be a young adult male.
We have learned thus far that
* Men, by 21, should acquire primary skills related to and revolving around cars.
* Men, by 21, should practice looking and acting strong (and all hope it holds out for that terrifying maelstrom called 'mid life').
* By 21 men should clearly recognize the irreparable gulf between males and females, and learn to play the basic games (ie. 'How to Pretend Like You Are a Nice and Caring Person.' -f.t.j. Mackey)
* By this formative age, men should be wise enough to pick a mate who will carry the proverbial 'pooper scooper' before that tall, rank, festering pile of dirty clothes and dishes becomes a contaminated area.
* Men need to comprehend that if they are past 21 and have little college under their belts, they are worth spit. Consequently, if they have little to no computer experience, they are again, worth spit. In fact a man, by 21, without a pager or cell phone is worth less than spit.
* We men, by our 21st birthday, should realize that all such criteria judging a successful passage into manhood is egocentric by nature; that is, entirely molded by the values of society around us. If it is argued that a man must not show fear or grief, doubt or hesitation, it says a wealth more about the society than about what indeed we men must get out of the way.
I am no advocate of Bly's teachings (if any of you are indeed familiar with the somewhat off the left end Men's Movement). In fact as the years go by I clench my teeth and fists a little more, keep the emotions under control, 'change that oil,' get out my '45 every now and then and shoot off a couple rounds just to get the gizm flowin'. :D
All this said, have we all become so cynical and unyielding as to never again consider that each person grows up with a different set of tools, both emotional and physical, and the only progress that truly counts that that this 21 year old man has found something akin to [rant]character[/rant]?
:D :)
Good thread... hehe
Cheers all,
Joseph
p.s. I didn't think anyone would take me at face value, so a disclaimer...
[rant]Sarcasm: Learn it, Live it, Love it![/rant] :D

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
You guys have some high expectations for a 21 year old. High expectations are good. Most people answering this thread are obviously from a different generation. Pretty easy to tell who is older than 21 hear. I'm turning twenty one this year so I should have some perspective on this subject.
Ability to drive is nice
Laundry, havn't done it yet but I could if I needed to.
Cooking, nothing in this world is easier
car stuff- changing tires, that is what my CAA(or AAA) gold memebership is for. :)
I suppose living on your on is nice at 21 but why waste the money when you don' need to, especially when you actually get along with your parents. Money is an important thing when you are spending the next 8 years of your life in school.
Social skills and reading/writing are a given.
Don't drink so not a problem.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Men need to comprehend that if they are past 21 and have little college under their belts, they are worth spit. Consequently, if they have little to no computer experience, they are again, worth spit. In fact a man, by 21, without a pager or cell phone is worth less than spit.
I totally disagree. There are many excellent careers that do not require a college education... to suggest otherwise is, IMO, pompous and arrogant. Go tell a fireman / police officer / etc. that they aren't a man because they didn't go to college. It is also possible to go through life w/o in-depth computer knowledge. What makes a cell phone or pager a necessity (essential to being a man)? Do you feel you're important enough that you can be contacted at any time?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks