What's new

Thin Man Collection Finally (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great list of extras. 1 Benchley short + 1 Benchley short = :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

What a wonderful touching story Grant. I'll admit it brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

DaveK

Second Unit
They showed After The Thin Man on Sunday, June 26 and Another Thin Man, Shadow Of The Thin Man, The Thin Man Goes Home and Song Of The Thin Man on Monday, June 27 on TCM.

These prints look better than the last time I saw them on TCM (a few months ago). This definitely means that the picture quality on the DVDs will be flawless.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
DVDTimes lists the details of the R2 release here.

I mention this because, strangely, there are additional extras not listed in the previous PR – namely the following shorts:
The Early Bird and The Worm Featurette (on After The Thin Man)
The Bookworm MGM Cartoon (on Another Thin Man)
The Goose Goes South (on Shadow of The Thin Man)
Screwball Squirrel (on The Thin Man Goes Home)
Slap Happy Lion (on The Song of The Thin Man)

Great to see two Tex Avery cartoons coming to DVD – two of his funniest as well. I presume these will all be in place on the R1 release?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Oh God would I love if this indeed turned up on the R1 set, restored. But we don't even have the individual cover art yet, so these may turn up after all. Would be pointless to leave them off.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm pretty confident that the cartoons will make it to R1, unless there's been a last minute glitch. Look at the DVD Times announcement for the R1 box here and the shot of the back of the box clearly lists 'Vintage Cartoons' among the extras. I do hope that this is a 'Night at The Movies' set and, unlike, the Errol Flynn box, Warners gives us the facility to 'play all'.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Well spotted, John. I knew I'd seen "Vintage Cartoons" somewhere in the initial announcements for this set, but couldn't think where.

I doubt this will have a Night at the Movies feature, as these have so far been limited to Warner Brothers films, for the good reason that, of the three major studios whose features Warner owns, that is the only one where they own all the supporting features as well. MGM, for example, bought short subjects from Ub Iwerks and Hal Roach during the 1930s, and these shorts are now in the hands of other companies. As these are 1940s features, though, it might be doable...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
As much as I was overwhelmed by the press release for this set, the one thing I'd had to critique was that WB didn't opt to include any vintage animated shorts with the package which is something that excites me almost as much as the release itself on these classic sets...

I REALLY hope that these MGM shorts make it to the R1 set as well and it does look probable given the print on the back cover!

This will officially knock this set over the top from absolutely incredibly amazing to holy fucking shit this is the greatest!

I'm really excited, thanks for pointing this out guys!!

:emoji_thumbsup:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
And nice to see Warners picking some less obvious MGM and more so... HAPPY HARMONIES titles!

Since they're already pumping out the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melody shorts in the GC sets, this is a good oppurtunity to release some of the uncategorized MGM one-shots and other more obscure but equally classic cartoons.

(Of course that still doesn't excuse them from not releasing a comprehensive Happry Harmonies and Tex Avery box set here in R1!)

;)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Anybody who lives in the vicinity of Silver Springs, Maryland might be interested to know that all the films in the series will be showing at the AFI Silver Theatre and Culture Center during the month of August. Details here.

Thanks to John B for the heads up.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There is a great interview with the Mighty Feltenstein about this set over at the Hollywood Reporter.

As is usual for him, Mr. Feltenstein really demonstrates his knowledge and respect of his studio's history in this interview.

He confirms that the Margaret Rutherford Marple series is coming out in 2006). He also mentions many of the other series that Warners/RKO produced but doesn't mention any potential releases. (I still keep holding out for the Saint/Falcon films.)

Steve

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Managed to get a copy of this boxset early so here is the information from the back cover of each title:

The Thin Man: The Thin Man Trailer Gallery

After The Thin Man:
Robert Benchley Comedy Short 'How To Be A Detective'
Classic Cartoon 'The Early Bird And The Worm'
Radio Show With Powell and Loy
'Leo Is On The Air' Radio Promo
Theatrical Trailer

Another Thin Man:
Musical Short 'Love On Tap'
Classic Cartoon 'The Bookworm'
Theatrical Trailer

Shadow Of The Thin Man:
Vintage Short 'The Tell-Tale Heart'
Classic Cartoon 'The Goose Goes South'
Theatrical Trailer

The Thin Man Goes Home:
Robert Benchley Comedy Short 'Why Daddy?'
Classic Cartoon 'Screwball Squirrel'
Theatrical Trailer

Song Of The Thin Man:
Passing Parade Short 'A Really Important Person'
Classic Cartoon 'Slap Happy Lion'
Theatrical Trailer

Bonus Disc: Alias Nick And Nora:
William Powell: A True Gentleman
Myrna Loy: So Nice To Come Home To
Special Features: 'Darling I Loath You':The Thin Man TV
Series Episode Starring Peter Lawford and Phyllis Clark.
The Thin Man Radio Show - Starring Powell and Loy

I have yet to view any of them yet - havn't had the time, but hope to this weekend. If anyone would like something in particular checked out please mention it.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
I'm also presently working on the set for the forum. Hope to have the review for the entire set posted by mid week. From the first few glances however, it looks like another winner.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
As I type this, this set is #3 on the Amazon DVD charts. This is obviously going to be a financial as well as an artistic triumph for WB.

The Powell documentary is something I'm really looking forward to. Biographical material on him is relatively scarce.

Hopefully the success of this set will spur a follow up Powell/Loy box that some of us have asked for.

Steve

DaveK

Second Unit

Steve O.

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out next year.

By the way....THIN MAN REACHED #1 IN THE AMAZON DVD CHARTS!!!!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
The musical short 'Love On Tap' is directed by George Sidney, and the Vintage Short 'The Tell-Tale Heart' is directed by Jules Dassin. Those alone make this great set a huge success, I also saw that it is Number 1 on Amazon and that is amazing!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Agreed! A lot of credit goes to Mr. Feltenstein and his staff who recognize there is a market for these type of films and find ways to make these even more appealing with the inclusion of meaningful & theme related added content like the TV Show, Benchley shorts, etc.

You know, this set is going to do very well. MPI, a small relatively small player, has sold hundreds of thousands of units of their Rathbone Holmes DVDs. It makes Fox's statement that they would lose their shirt selling their Charlie Chan films all the more puzzling.

Steve (hoping WB supplied Amazon with enough product so that my pre-order ships timely :) )

DaveK

Second Unit
OK...now we have Tarzan and The Thin Man collections...what MGM series is next for a boxset???

Andy Hardy
Lassie
Maisie
Dr. Kildare/Dr. Gillespie
Red Skelton's "Whistling" series (3 movies)

Which one of these series would you like to see next on DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks