What's new

Thin Man Collection Finally (1 Viewer)

DaveK

Second Unit
George and Robert...
You guys are right, but knowing Warner they would include them in the box set (if it ever does come out).

I still have to figure out what I'm going to do with my Thin Man, Mildred Pierce and Wizard of Oz DVDs.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

yeah, but it really needs a remaster- black levels are extremly crushed.
and from a better print this time.
if the o-neg was long gone, was this shabby,ratty print really the best they could do?

i'm really disappointed the film didn't rate a better effort or a higher degree of quality control from Warner which has overwhelmingly shown a high respect for its 'classics'.
LL is, to me, as high grade as they come.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
There's another film I seem to recall in the "Thin Man" vein, from Columbia, entitled "There's Always a Woman," from 1938, with Melvyn Douglas and Joan Blondell. My memories of it are somewhat sketchy, since I haven't seen it in eons, but I remember it being a lot of fun. Wish if Sony would release it.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The "Thin Man Collection" is starting to show up on various e-tailers. I couldn't find it on Lasers Edge but Amazon does have it for the criminally low price of $41.94. By comparison, when Warners released the films on VHS, they sold for $19.99 apiece! That's $120 for the set with no extras to speak of. Needless to say, I've already placed my pre-order.

Steve

DaveK

Second Unit
Steve

Thanks for the heads up. I just placed my order.

Now, what to do about my Thin Man DVD???
....hmmmmmm
;)

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
We have cover art and specs for the Astaire-Rogers collection, released August 16, and the Greta Garbo collection, released September 6, but not this one, released August 2. Has anybody seen or heard anything?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the box art is out there, and if you look on the spine you can see the key art they are using for the individual titles.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Yeah, but it's not the same as having full-sized artwork, as we have for the Astaire and Garbo sets. I'm wondering if Warner have forgotten to update their press release for this one.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone provide a little background on the phrase "Thin Man" in the title?

My understanding was that "The Thin Man" did not originally refer to Powell (Nick), but to another character in the movie. However, the phrase "Thin Man" is part of the name of all the rest of the titles, and seems to refer to Powell. (If not, then who?)

I'm not really clear on it.

DG

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The Thin Man was the title of the original book, and referred to a character therein. When the studio did sequels, they played off the name for audience recognition. Kind of like "The Pink Panther".

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What Jason said. To be more specific, it refers to Clyde Wynant, the scientist who's disappearance is at the heart of the first film. The fact that he's a thin man plays a role in solving the mystery.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
So, the "Thin Man" in later titles (such as "The Thin Man Goes Home") are unrelated to the "Thin Man" referenced in the first movie, right?

In other words, in subsequent titles, either no "Thin Man" character exists, or else the "Thin Man" character exists, but has been changed (to Powell or someone else). I think it must be Powell because who else is "going home"?

I got it now, right?

DG

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Basically, it was just an easy way for MGM to name this film franchise. There isn't a "thin man" per se in any of the follow up films.

Crawdaddy

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Weeeee!

It will be mine, oh yes!

Hmmm can I hold of MST3K Vol. 7 for that long...

Great news though, really been looking forward to these.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmmmm maybe I should sell my ld box on Ebay before everyone finds out.......naw it's a pretty cool box to keep.

It just dawned on me my Scottie Asta is no longer around to watch it with me. Eveytime any one would call Asta on the TV he would look around
talk about going from happy to sad in 10 seconds; I miss the hell out of him

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks