What's new

Thin Man Collection Finally (1 Viewer)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Really looking forward to this. Thin Man Goes Home was the first one I saw, and I've always enjoyed it, although the first one is easily my favorite. I've already let my wife know that she'll be getting me this for my birthday, although I don't know if I'll be able to resist not watching it for the three weeks it'll be out before my birthday. I had my wife tape all six for me a couple years ago when they ran on TCM. She was pregnant with our second daughter at the time (or was shortly about to be), and after watching these movies all day long she decided that we'd be naming her Myrna, so this box set is a must for us.

DaveK

Second Unit
Where do I start...so much road to cover

George...
The sixth movie wasn't that bad

I would rank the series
2, 5, 4, 3, 1, 6

The fourth and fifth movie in the series focused more on the interplay between Powell and Loy I think.

I blame the writers of the sixth movie for not making the story as good as could have been. It's not as great as the first five, but it's good.

I also hoped they cleaned up the print for Song of the Thin Man, becasue the version they show on TCM is not that great in comparison to the other five.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From www.davisdvd.com :

Warner Home Video has announced the seven-disc The Thin Man Collection for release on August 2nd. Starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as husband and wife sleuths who solved murders with the aid of their wire-haired terrier Asta, the series established the standard for witty comedy, clever dialogue and urbane one upmanship. Included in this terrific collection are the feature films The Thin Man (1934), After the Thin Man (1936), Another Thin Man (1939), Shadow of the Thin Man (1941), The Thin Man Goes Home (1945) and Song of the Thin Man (1947). All come fully remastered with new fullscreen transfers and Dolby Digital mono audio tracks. The set will also include the bonus documentary disc "Alias Nick & Nora." Retail is $59.92.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Hmm. A bit frustrating that we can see the box, and a fanned display of the individual titles, with the covers obscured, but can't see the covers. And why is it taking so long to hear about the specs?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Here's another article about the upcoming set. It provides some minor additional details about the extras. As Mr. Crawford said, the full specs will probably come closer to release date.

(Thanks to Dennis H from another board for providing the link.)

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I love the box! Thanks for posting. I was expecting a digipack (like the Tarzan set) and this is a surprise. This means we'll get poster art covers for all the films. :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve

DaveK

Second Unit
Have the art covers for the individual movies been posted on the web yet? It's hard checking them out on the side of the box above....lol

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here we are, just feeling the warmth of an early spring and these titles don't come out until the dog days of August. Thankfully, Warner has many other titles being released over the next 16 weeks to hold me over till then.:)

Crawdaddy

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Just managed to unload my new (and unopened) snapper of The Thin Man on eBay. *Whew* that was close! Very much looking forward to the set.

My 16-year old daughter said without provocation the other day, "They should come out with all of the Thin Man movies in one of those box sets." It was all I could do to not spill the beans, as this set will be a nice surprise for the family when it comes.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I hope the box sells well enough for WB to rlease a box of Powell and Loy's non-Thin Man films. i'd also like to get Powell's Thin man-esque "The Ex-Mrs. Bradford."

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I agree with you Larry! Although WB hasn't commented on the potential for such a set, I would be cautiously optimistic if the Thin Man set does well. Most of the Powell/Loy films were released on VHS so WB did feel these films were marketable.

Steve

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'll third the call for the Ex-Mrs. Bradford. Also Rendezvous and I Love You Again.

And if by any chance you missed it, the wonderful Kennel Murder Case (with Powell as Philo Vance) is available on dvd.

John_S

Stunt Coordinator
I agree re: "Ex-Mrs. Bradford and "I love you again" and also would add "Love Crazy".

DaveK

Second Unit
I know I said this in another post, but if Warner were to release a non Thin Man boxset for William Powell/Myrna Loy, it would include almost all of their remaining films:

Manhattan Melodrama (1934)
Evelyn Prentice (1934)
The Great Ziegfeld (1936)
Liabeled Lady (1936)
Double Wedding (1937)
I Love You Again (1940)
Love Crazy (1941)

Would I buy it???
ABSOLUTELY

The last (and only other) film they did together was The Senator Was Indiscreet (1947). It wasn't an MGM or Warner picture (to my knowledge), and Myrna had a cameo at the end of the picture.

By the way, I hope I didn't spoil anything with the pictures I posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks