1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

They did it: FCC approves looser media ownership regulations

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LanceJ, Jun 2, 2003.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Well-Known Member

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Well-Known Member

Absolutely agreed, and I've touched on this issue in my PBS thread.

In discussing this, attempt the near impossible: eschew politics. This is an important subject with far-reaching implications for democracy as practiced in the U.S. And I just don't see how it can be discussed while adhering to our no-politics proviso. So expect closure at any time.

3. Dennis

Dennis Well-Known Member

Is there a silver lining to this?

It just seems like baby steps towards a totalitarian future. I started noticing this when all of the companies started merging and buying each other out to the point that there seems to be less and less options for us. It's going to be like cable!

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Well-Known Member

Jack: Yep, this could DEFINITELY be a political subject. And I will not discuss that aspect here.

I'm just spreading the news........... [​IMG]

LJ

5. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Well, we might not have to worry about taking different opinions into account any longer. [​IMG]

Seriously, I don't think the issue is ownership concentration as much as it is what the owners do.

When it comes down to it, I think the main problem will be that there'll be more commercials everywhere, and higher costs for consumers. I don't think content will change much.

It still stinks though, especially after seeing recently how a majority of the american media (at least on TV) willingly played along with whatever the White House administration fed them. I don't think it can get much worse, so I don't think this decision makes much difference, sadly.

/Mike

6. Jason_H

Jason_H Well-Known Member

This is quite frightening, indeed. I had been hearing about this vote for months, but it really happened. I hear rumors there are bi-partisan efforts in Congress to overrule this FCC rule, but I'm not certain. Might be a very good time to contact your local representative/senator.

7. Brian E

Brian E Well-Known Member

Democracy only works if folks participate. If you're for or against, let 'em know.

8. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Well-Known Member

9. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Well-Known Member

A lot of this is total FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) being spread by certain organizations. I can't get into it more because it would result in a locked thread. All I'll say is that those blindly opposed to relaxing those regulations are being manipulated in the exact same manner that they're claiming will happen if there's more consolidation. Ironic, no?

10. Holadem

Holadem Well-Known Member

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Well-Known Member

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Well-Known Member

Yep, bad news for sure. I heard a guy from the FCC talk about it the other day, and I knew that his mind had already been made up.

Even though complaints against it were running like 97%, and the reporter said that their own survey had a really hard time even finding 10 people that were for it.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the whole thing will blow up in their faces. One man they talked to said that a he found out that a forest fire was headed towards his house so he turned the TV on, only to find infomercials!

I can see the small stations getting swallowed up, and their programming changed to the new company's 'national' format, with no news, or even updates, at all.

And I don't even want to get into the thousands of media people that will be out of work.

Glenn

13. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Well-Known Member

I propose that we relax the "no politics" aspect of this, because I'd REALLY REALLY like to hear why the continuing homogenization of our media (and the opinions which they often present as "fact") is a good thing.

FM Radio has already been ruined, IMO, by companies such as Clear Channel, who have provided me the "privilege" of hearing the same 50 songs as I drive the entire Eastern seaboard, hearing the same station jingles along the way.[​IMG]

Todd

14. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Well-Known Member

15. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Well-Known Member

Could this be why more and more people are turning to the Internet and forgetting about the broadcast mass media? Lots of dull, homogenized, corporate content, owned by a few indistinguishable corporate conglomerates. It's no wonder I don't listen to the radio or watch TV very much anymore...

16. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

Do we have fewer sources of information than we did, say, 30 years ago? I rather doubt it. Also, from what I've read, some opponents of these looser rules aren't necessarily in favor of greater access to independent voices. Part of the problem I have with the FCC is that they do this sort of thing half heartedly--loosening here, restricting access there.

17. Joseph S

Joseph S Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised. Apparently, all my calls and letters concerning the failure in enforcing the HDTV/Digital 5/1/01 and 5/1/02 went without a response for a reason. They were all on vacation.

When is the auction of the old bands? When will Sinclair give me HDTV? When will Fox and Sinclair put out a digital signal that can be received outside of their parking lot???

Why was this Clear Channel TV edition shoved through so quickly when the issue of our tax dollars was shoved so far off the plate by these very commissioners?? The answer is $$$$$$$$$$$, I hope the amount of $ is enough to cover the next round of junkets.

So now we can get more of the same junk on multiple channels in the same old lower resolutions than we were promised to have been eliminated.

18. ThomasC

ThomasC Well-Known Member

19. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Well-Known Member

20. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member