What's new

theater seating (1 Viewer)

david vogue

Auditioning
Any recommendations on theater seating. Makes , models, accessories to look for. I have about 12 feet of wall to work with but dont want the typical couch.I am thinking something real comfortable in a recliner with maybe a loveseat recliner in the middle of two recliners on the side. Any ideas. What would somebody's dream set up be? I heard someone mention Berklines but I do not know much about. Thanks.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
David,

First off let me start by saying in a home theater you should have comfort, so there was no way I was going to buy traditional theater seats.

In my home theater I only have about 12'6" of wall space and what I bought was a sectional (without the corner piece)so it is basically two love seats pushed together. Each side has two recliners and the cool thing is that it has 9" arms rests that fold down which have cup holders in them. Now if you put up the recliners and leave the arms up then you can fit around 6 average size people on it. My wife convinced me to buy this for the "cuddle factor", it is like having a sofa and theater seats in one.

My other option would have been to buy the hometheater seats from berkline www.berkline.com . The only problem is it would only have room for 3 of them on my wall.This would mean only 3 people could watch a movie(bad idea)

The company name slips my mind (it might be Berkline), I did just get it a few months ago so I should be able to find the receipt if your intrested let me know.

Just my 2 cents
ED O'Neill

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
We recently got the home theater seating from Costco.com
It is pretty comfortable and reasonably priced. We were able to get two couches for about the price of 4 Berklines. Granted it is apples to oranges comparison but it did allow us to get seating for 8+.

You also might want to check out the new lazyboy line of home theater recliners. I have not seen the lazyboy chairs in person but we have a regular lazyboy in top grade all leather that has held up very well. I have seen the Berklines and would have got them if we hadn't needed so many.

Oh btw we built our own ottoman for the costco stuff so we could get our feet up. That and some custom pillows helps out in the cuddle/waf alot. Good luck.

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Ed O'Neill hit the nail right on the head!

First off let me start by saying in a home theater you should have comfort, so there was no way I was going to buy traditional theater seats.

I let my wife talk me into buying traditional theater seats, I mean real ones, they came out of a theater in Colorado. While the concept seems cool I am finding after 6 months or so that I really don't care much for them. The comfort level is all but non existent.

Find something good for your caboose.

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
David,
We are on the downhill side of a full family room / theater remodel. Deciding which seating technology would offer the highest performance in our system became the most difficult and most researched aspect of the project.
As Mark mentions above, Costco has a killer deal on a configurable recliner and chaise collection, and a four piece setting would be ideal for our plans. Berkline seats seem popular and scream decadence. Several sectional designs displayed at local retailers have the expected extras, fold down/flip up's, hide-away phones, electric recline for the lever challanged, etc. We settled on the Costco set up.
The next evening while reviewing the order, I thought it would be fun to cut a scale footprint of each piece from from paper and arrange them on the floor. After checking measurements twice, my wife summed up both our feelings with "you've got to be f***ing kidding me...". It was massive! Huge beyond reason with no possible application. Feeling like village idiots, we were none the less grateful for the lesson.
A pair of Berklines was our next idea, but I think they look like pods from "Body Snatchers", and expensive as well. Sectionals with multiple do-dads were out of the question. The various "theater" combo's so many A/V retailers offer seem absurdly priced, wood-grained cup holder or not!
The answer to our situation came from a couple of members of this and two other forums (as often is the case). I noticed a small but resolute group that own Ekrones Stressless chairs. We are now members of that group (sort of). Anyone in the market for so called theater seating should give these chairs a look. While not for everybody, many will find them the ideal solution. The only issue for us was the expense. Big bank. Even though the product's no compromise quality justifies the price, a lot o' money is still a lot o' money. Enter Palliser Furniture. They make chairs nearly identical in design and function to Ekrones, but at half (and less) the price. As luck would have it, a Palliser distributor is an hour drive. No retail showroom but they have a few chairs in the lobby, and we were welcome to visit. And should we be the least bit skeptical that Palliser models are the level of Ekrones Stressless models, an Ekrones showroom was just across way! We compared the Stressless chair that we wanted to the Palliser equiv., with the two all but side by side (a parking lot away). The Stressless was $1600, the Palliser $749. (both were the highest grade leather available. they had a kind of silk feel). The Palliser is $100 less in leather of only "superior grade top grain". Bottom line, we bought four in the best leather. They are built to order in Canada, shipped free, 3-4 weeks. 5 year warranty on the leather(!!) and lifetime on the frame.
Check out the model called "the Ethan" at
www.palliser.com[/url] http://palliser.com
Pardon the length of this post, but it was a long journey.
Best to all!

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry John, I edited the link to the manufacturer.
Also, check out e-bay catagory "leather recliners" and you'll see Discount Leather Chairs. "the Ethan" is shown in red. Wish I could use red, it looks sweeeet.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I wanted real theater seating for realism.
If I didn't have a dedicated theater and could only have a media room or family room type thing, then I don't have a problem with recliner type seating.
If you are restricted for space and need a lot of seats, sometimes you have to go for real theater seats.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Thanks for the praise Rick

WOW I just went to costco to look at the recliners that you guys were talking about.Nice looking and definetly cheaper than the Berkline Theater Seats.

However I was surprised at how expensive it really is.

David and I are/were both in the same boat with having narrow rooms mine 12'6" David around 12'.

Costco prices:
___________________size(w)___Price____amount_Total $
armless recliner_____30"ea___$470_______4_____1880
arms (2 per order)____8"ea___$350_______3*____1050
_______Totals_______160"(over 13 feet)_______$2930

NOTE* you have to order arm pieces in two packs which would mean you would need 5 arms and you would have 1 extra.

My Berkline: (not shown on their website)
Each loveseat 6'1"
Price $1000.00
Total feet 12'2"
Total Price $2000.00
BTW.They also have a chaise lounge and corner piece available for this set

Overview....
They both do basically the same thing have comfort and recline. Mine if you fold up the arms you can fit 5/6 people. Costco style 4 people.

Opinion....
Buy the Berkline It's cheaper and smaller.

I have to post up a picture so you guys can see exactly what this looks like. I have posted in a few threads about this and I personally don't think anyone has ever seen this style before. I know out of all the Berkline dealers in my area only one carried this model.

Just my 2 cents
Ed O'Neill

david vogue

Auditioning
Thanks for the info guys. I think I definitely want to go with the recliners for comfort (at my age) but either a loveseat in the middle(will fit our two kids 4 & 8 easy) on either side of a pair of recliners or recliners (against the wallfacing the TV) with a couch or loveseat perpendicular forming a L shape.

Ed I would like to see pictures of your setup. I believe you said it was Berkline furniture but they do not have on the website. Any way to see their full line you know of.

If anyone else has picts of their setup I would be interested in seeing. Thanks. Dave

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
David
I will get the model # and try to get some picture and post them.I am sure this might be an alternative for you

Talk to you soon
Ed

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
David
I also forgot to ask
Any chance you live in or around Boston, MA

I could show you in person.

Talk to you
ED

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Ed,
When we checking out the Costco seating, we thought that purchase of an extra arm package was mandatory too. (It does say that in the ad.) But they offer several combinations, 3 chairs, 2 chairs and a chaise, 4 chairs, whatever, as a package. Not only does a discount apply, but all arms and wedges are included. The combos are listed in the drop down boxes. A last point, but one that has served my wife and I well over the years. Costco will accept the return of ANY product for full refund with zero b.s.. I've seen big screens, appliances, clothing, software, computers, you name it being refunded. We have returned 2 computer systems (1 after 6 mos.!), I've upgraded digital cameras 3 times as the new models come out and yes, the Theater furniture may be returned to any Costco store for refund should it prove unsatisfactory. Since shipping is free, it really is a no risk situation.
It is a comforting policy that earns a great deal of loyalty from us.
Just saw the collection in the latest flyer! The ad offers 4 chairs and 1 chaise lounge, wedges and arms included, black or ivory leather, shipped to your door and set up, $2,799.00. Wow.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Mark,

I did see what you were talking about but the smallest set up is 130"(3 piece chair set) thiswould be the only option for David or myself. Like I said in my earlier post we looked at the berklines but relized they were too wide. I wish I had a wider room I may have bought the berklines instead.

Besides I can fit 5/6 with the arms up. better than 4 berklines or in your case 5 people with the chaise lounge.

Any way you look at it we are all happy with what we have. We are probably happy because we are so comfy. We should start a crusade to stop people from buying real theater seats....LOL

Bye for now
Ed

John Clancy

Auditioning
Perhaps things are a bit different in England but all these reclining chairs you've been looking at just don't look like cinema seats. At least I've never seen anything like them in any cinema I've ever been to. Would having seating like that mean you just had a lounge/living room with a screen in it or could it still be classed as a cinema?

I always wanted a home cinema to be like a real cinema so there was never any choice and tip-up seats were the only answer. Until recently Brockley Upholstery (now defunct) would supply the same seats to individuals as they sold to the major cinema chains. These seats started at around £80 which was pretty good value. They also did a recliner but it still looked like real cinema seating and indeed was installed to a few cinema studios.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Would having seating like that mean you just had a lounge/living room with a screen in it or could it still be classed as a cinema?
I suppose it would, if you're elitist.

I always felt the best part of Home Theater was bringing the movie home, then working on the additionals.

Plus, something else to think about.. if Theaters could afford recliners for all, do you think people would love to have them there, instead of current seating designs?

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Jamie,

That would be cool if theaters put recliners!

Here in New England we have a small theater chain. That you sit in lincoln continental seats with a table in front of you and things like burgers pizza and are ready for this........BEER....thats right I said BEER. Oh and I forgot to mention they are a discout chain $6 tickets the downfall is they get the movies about 6 weeks after the release date.

Why the lincoln seats you ask?
The guy who owns the movie theaters also owns a limo manufacturing company and these are the seat that are pulled out and then replaced with other style seating.

Talk to you later,
Ed

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
We have a place like that here in Raleigh, NC, USA. It's called "Raleighwood" (kinda goofy). They serve resturaunt style food, etc and play $1.50 (US) movies. They charge like crazy for food/drinks, which is where the money comes from.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
David,

We have seven of the Berline CinemaSeries 090 loungers. Three are electric and with LeatherMatch material, the other four are manual recline with 100% Hi Grade Leather.
The three are in a Love Seat plus One configuration on the rear riser, while the front row four are all single seats. See below for my link for pics, if interested. Purchased through www.leather-direct.com

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Very comfortable seating with the correct viewing angle(s).
I am very happy with these seats, but these are made to order so not the route to go if you want it 'now'.
Among the options are a variety of fabrics, vinyl, or leather as well the LaZy Boy dual recline feature, and bass driver installations on the frame.

www.4seating.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks