1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Theater Room Setup.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by God_Speed351, Dec 10, 2008.

1. God_Speed351

God_Speed351 Well-Known Member

Is a 50" DLP
    Will have an Onkyo 606/706/806 receiver, Elemental Designs speakers and not sure about sub.

Current setup(previous owners)(Wall to the left of fireplace has a set of double doors)
    [​IMG]

Was thinking of this, but the viewing angle of DLP's goes down if you put the TV up that high.
    [​IMG]

And leaning towards this right now.
    [​IMG]

Thoughts, Ideas, Suggestions?

2. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Well-Known Member

Kevin Stewart
    I've seen this pictures before.

I agree not to put it above the fireplace. Anything else would be better. I like what you're leaning towards, but makes the fireplace fairly useless. Any thoughts on just removing the fireplace?

Also, remember that living rooms don't have to be perfectly symmetrical. If it was an actual theater room, you'd want things squared up, but with a living room, you have to make sacrifices. Have you ruled out putting the display to the right or left of the fireplace and configuring the furniture appropriately?

My niche was already to the side of the fireplace, so it was easier, but I think it can maybe be done in your situation too. You just have to skew the furniture to one side as well and adjust the distances on your speakers.

[​IMG]

This picture is old and we now have a sectional in that room, but it'll give you an idea of how we placed the furniture to one side of the room (more in front of the TV) which also allowed for a larger walking area, thereby making the room seem bigger.

[​IMG]

3. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    I kinda like the fireplace behind the couch. It separates the 'theater' part of the room and allows you to have a nice fire going while watching movies without being distracted. Plus it makes for a great layout for a 7.1 setup.

4. God_Speed351

Yeah I understand about not having to be symmetrical. But the OCD in me and wanting the room as close to perfect is what is making me want the TV on the opposite wall from the Gas logs/Fireplace.

I guess it will be finalized when we move in next week.

5. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Well-Known Member

Kevin Stewart
    I guess you're opposed to corner placement?

Will there be other seating?

6. God_Speed351

Corner placement is out. [​IMG]

Yeah I'm thinking something along these lines
    [​IMG]

New front
    [​IMG]

But again this could all change when the stuff is actually in the room.

7. God_Speed351

Room layout is staying, changing just a tad. The front L speaker will be on the other side of the door along with a poster. Will update picture tomorrow. Now I need to decide on Upgrading receiver + 3 of seven speakers. Or upgrading speakers first. What would you do?

Option 1:
    Buy Onkyo 806($550) + Elemental Designs Speakers-2 6T6 L/R and a 6T6 Center ($476) + Use current Kenwood HTiaB for Rear and side surrounds= $1026

Option 2:
    Use current Kenwood HTiaB receiver + Elemental Designs-2 6T6 L/R ,a 6T6 Center, 4 5T5's for the rear and surrounds($816)= $816.00

Option 3:
    Use current Kenwood HTiaB receiver + Elemental Designs-2 6T6 Towers L/R ,a 6T6 Center, 4 5T5's for the rear and surrounds($930)= $930.00