What's new

3D Blu-ray Review The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
FoxyMulder said:
Anyone seen Piranha, that's a conversion, i checked out several moments, it looks pretty good, plan on watching later this year.

I have it. Did a review...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/301538-the-htf-3d-addict-piranha-3d/

Sorry for the missing images. That happened over our conversion from Huddler.

We are working on getting many of those images back.

The review is still intact, though formatted a little funky.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I liked Piranha. Shot in 2D but always planned on being in 3D. I remember seeing it in theaters and laughing my ass off, I think it's worth checking out. I got the Blu-ray recently for cheap, will watch it sometime but it's not a priority. I remember the RealD theatrical presentation having some ghosting and crosstalk but it was mostly fine.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
I have it. Did a review...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/301538-the-htf-3d-addict-piranha-3d/

Sorry for the missing images. That happened over our conversion from Huddler.

We are working on getting many of those images back.

The review is still intact, though formatted a little funky.
When i checked it out on the DLP projector i saw no ghosting so i'm thinking it's a display issue again, might be worth checking out some of those early titles again on your new Samsung, i think they will perform better now.

After reading your review i am very much looking forward to the film, looks like i am in for a treat with some very good 3D.

hstieglitz

Auditioning
Real Name
Howard
It sounds from your review that this is a must own. You mentioned playing it on a "modified DVD player. Do you know if the DVD is region free and will it play on an Oppo bdp-103 player?
Thanks, Howard

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
hstieglitz said:
It sounds from your review that this is a must own. You mentioned playing it on a "modified DVD player. Do you know if the DVD is region free and will it play on an Oppo bdp-103 player?
Thanks, Howard
Until now, I've only played Blu-rays, never trying a DVD in my Oppo 103. They must be DVD region-free, because T. S. Spivet's Region 2 DVD plays without modification. Not the case with Region B or C Blu-ray discs without mod change. The DVD will not play on my old Panasonic Region 1 player.

EDIT: The above is incorrect!
Have to correct this.
Found out that just with the JVB Digital OPPO BDP-103/105 External kit attached to the back of the Oppo 103, it will play DVDs region-free automatically. When the external kit is taken off the unit, the Oppo will NOT play Region 2 DVDs. Sorry for the confusion. i.e. When I put in the T. S. Spivet Region 2 DVD the Oppo 103 displays: "Wrong Region Code!"

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
hstieglitz said:
Thanks, Howard
You have a blu ray player so i'm just wondering why you want to watch the dvd. ?

hstieglitz

Auditioning
Real Name
Howard
I just used the generic term. I meant being able to watch the 3d bluray(region 2) on my oppo player. I recently purchased Frozen-the 3d version from amazon u.k. and was able to watch it. That particular disc was region free.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
hstieglitz said:
I just used the generic term. I meant being able to watch the 3d bluray(region 2) on my oppo player. I recently purchased Frozen-the 3d version from amazon u.k. and was able to watch it. That particular disc was region free.
Yes, the UKs Frozen 3D Blu-ray is Region free. The French T. S. Spivet is Region B locked.

Blu-ray discs can be Region-Free or have specific areas designated as Region-A, Region-B, or Region-C.

DVDs can be Region-Free or have specific areas designated as Region-1, Region-2, or Region-3.

hstieglitz

Auditioning
Real Name
Howard
Thanks for the explanation. I do not think it pays to convert my oppo player at this time. The cost is from $60 to $120. I would hope at some point they release the movie and 3d bluray in the US.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
hstieglitz said:
The cost is from $60 to $120. I would hope at some point they release the movie and 3d bluray in the US.
Given the internet community popularity of T. S. Spivet 3D, we can only hope a U.S distribution company will obtain the rights for an eventual Region A release. Wish the same for the popular CGI feature A Turtles's Tale: Sammy's Adventures, the 3D Blu-ray first released in France in 2010.

Guess $60 to $120 for the ability to view any available title world-wide is worth more to those 3D enthusiasts who don't want to take a chance in missing an experience, especially for those of us older generation folks, where time becomes a significant factor.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Paul Hillenbrand said:
Given the internet community popularity of T. S. Spivet 3D, we can only hope a U.S distribution company will obtain the rights for an eventual Region A release.
They have, it's the Weinstein company, expect a censored PG-13 release.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Paul Hillenbrand said:
Guess $60 to $120 for the ability to view any available title world-wide is worth more to those 3D enthusiasts who don't want to take a chance in missing an experience, especially for those of us older generation folks, where time becomes a significant factor.
Spending $60-$120 to be region free is a no-brainer, especially for 3D enthusiasts or classic movie fans. Aside from that, a lot of stuff is cheaper from Amazon UK / DE.

The list of exclusive region B titles only gets bigger over time as well, so it's a small price to pay to no longer be "locked out".

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If the Weinsteins were to appeal an R rating, they'd probably succeed, citing examples like All the President's Men (11 uses of "fuck") and A Civil Action (3 uses of "fuck").

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Stephen_J_H said:
If the Weinsteins were to appeal an R rating, they'd probably succeed, citing examples like All the President's Men (11 uses of "fuck") and A Civil Action (3 uses of "fuck").

Depends on what they'll consider the predominant target market. If it's kids (likely), then it's going to get censored. That's what the difference is between it and the movies you mentioned above. I can't recall any kids movie (targeted to the average age group of the star of the movie: around 12) that has the MF word in it.

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
Having just watched The Young and Prodigious, I was struck by why today's Hollywood would not green light a picture like this. (Yes, Ron, I totally agree with you!)

It has great 3D, but there are no big action scenes and it does not have a big Hollywood star in the lead. The studios would not know how to market a film like this without a traditional story line.

It certainly is curious that a French director with an incredible eye for style could make a film set in the U.S. and not have a major release planned.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Weinsteins are not likely to market this as a mainstream release, and certainly not to what would traditionally seem to be the target demographic ("family" film), which is why I think they would be successful in securing a PG-13 for it.

As a side note, the MF expletive is typically used to amp up a description of a badass. When dubbing for TV, a common substitute is "melon farmer", which seems absurd unless you've seen Bronson's Mr. Majestyk, in which he plays..... wait for it...... a melon farmer!
:D

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for reviewing this and bringing it to my attention, Ron! What a terrific film! The 3D is spectacular and adds so much to the overall experience. The film itself has a Wes Anderson vibe about it, which in my opinion is a very good thing. T.S. Spivet is that rarest of cinematic treats...a brilliant movie to begin with...made all the better by an incredibly creative use of 3D effects. Bravo!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
pitchman said:
Thanks for reviewing this and bringing it to my attention, Ron! What a terrific film! The 3D is spectacular and adds so much to the overall experience. The film itself has a Wes Anderson vibe about it, which in my opinion is a very good thing. T.S. Spivet is that rarest of cinematic treats...a brilliant movie to begin with...made all the better by an incredibly creative use of 3D effects. Bravo!

Gary, that put a smile on my face this morning.

It's the kind of smile I had after watching this film and being thankful to the other
HTF members who brought this title to my attention.

Hope more members find this review compelling enough to purchase this title.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am on the cusp of ordering this. Question: is the commentary French and, if so, has it English subtitles?

Are the supps all French-only?

Now...when the hell is Sony going to give is CITY OF LOST CHILDREN?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dick said:
I am on the cusp of ordering this. Question: is the commentary French and, if so, has it English subtitles?

Are the supps all French-only?

Now...when the hell is Sony going to give is CITY OF LOST CHILDREN?
I think everything except the movie is in French.

Jean Pierre loves the degrain tool and my opinion is that Delicatessen suffered because of this, having said that i believe Sony/Columbia has been working with Jeunet on The City Of Lost Children, i'm sure it's finished, they just need to release it, maybe because it's Sony it will be good and maybe the director has changed his mind about aggressive grain removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks