What's new

The year is almost a third over and what has Warner given us? (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
classicmovieguy said:
Considering that the 1936 "Show Boat" just received an Archive release, I'm not sure if we'll ever see that 'Trilogy' set... :(
One of the latest Warner Podcasts says that it is still coming but later than sooner.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
bruceames said:
I can't imagine anybody getting too exiting over Hit the Deck. I'd love to see Harvey Girls myself.
I would be excited about Hit The Deck on Blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
classicmovieguy said:
An important CinemaScope title for the period, it sadly marked the end of the line (or quite close to it) for many of its stars. It was Jane Powell's last MGM film, certainly. I could think of several musicals I'd love seeing on Blu-ray ahead of this ("Silk Stockings", "Love Me or Leave Me" and "Seven Brides..."), but I'll probably still pick this up.
Oh, I'll be sure to buy it. Those turquoise petticoats that Ann Miller and Debbie Reynolds sport in the finale are certain to be eye-popping in high def. :)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The Warner Archive blu-ray releases are very sporadic. Perhaps, with a view to generating more enthusiasm amongst the classic blu-ray buying enthusiast (that's us!) they might consider a regular programme of releases. Say one a month in a musicals collectors series, film noir etc. It would give us all something to look forward to. TT have got it right by their rolling programme of announcements.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Keith Cobby said:
The Warner Archive blu-ray releases are very sporadic. Perhaps, with a view to generating more enthusiasm amongst the classic blu-ray buying enthusiast (that's us!) they might consider a regular programme of releases. Say one a month in a musicals collectors series, film noir etc. It would give us all something to look forward to. TT have got it right by their rolling programme of announcements.
Two new titles on Deck now (pun intended), HIT THE DECK and THE WIND AND THE LION. I think WAC plans to release two a month eventually.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
Two new titles on Deck now (pun intended), HIT THE DECK and THE WIND AND THE LION. I think WAC plans to release two a month eventually.
I would be very happy if this comes to pass.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Yeah it would be a great start in the right direction. One per month is so unWarner-like.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Robert Crawford said:
I forgot, but how did Warner get video ownership of this title as it wasn't a Warner theatrical release? The DVD cover says it was a Gamma Production film distributed by Columbia.
I'm just spitballing, but considering that Preminger appears to have hung onto many of the rights to his output, it's possible this would be issued by Warner as part of the Paramount arrangement.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
I forgot, but how did Warner get video ownership of this title as it wasn't a Warner theatrical release? The DVD cover says it was a Gamma Production film distributed by Columbia.
It was owned by MGM in North America so it fell under the pre 1986 titles that Warner has. Columbia had international distribution rights. What is even more confusing is that at the time THE WIND AND THE LION was released MGM was distributing their films through United Artists, which they did not own at the time.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
ahollis said:
It was owned by MGM in North America so it fell under the pre 1986 titles that Warner has. Columbia had international distribution rights. What is even more confusing is that at the time THE WIND AND THE LION was released MGM was distributing their films through United Artists, which they did not own at the time.
Is there anywhere you could point me to, that explains in some detail as to who currently (and historically if possible) owns the rights to films released theatrically by the major studios?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
bruceames said:
Is there anywhere you could point me to, that explains in some detail as to who currently (and historically if possible) owns the rights to films released theatrically by the major studios?
Simplest rundown of who owns what:

Warner: Their own titles, all MGM pre-1986 titles, all RKO, all Monogram/Allied Artists
Universal: Their own titles, all sound 1929-1950 Paramount titles
Paramount: All their own except the sound 1929-1950 titles, Republic library
Fox: All their own
Disney: All their own
MGM: All their own post-1986, all UA
Sony: All their own (Columbia)

There are of course smaller libraries, PD films, and special cases on a film-by-film basis, but this is the main rundown for the Golden Age studios still owned by current Majors.

(A lot can be read about the current and former studio structures/holdings here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_studios)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
bruceames said:
It is a complicated question. Not only has companies purchased other companies films over time but certain producers retained ownership of their films then make deals with other distributors. You all most have to research each film.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Brandon Conway said:
Simplest rundown of who owns what:

Warner: Their own titles, all MGM pre-1986 titles, all RKO, all Monogram/Allied Artists
Universal: Their own titles, all sound 1929-1950 Paramount titles
Paramount: All their own except the sound 1929-1950 titles, Republic library
Fox: All their own
Disney: All their own
MGM: All their own post-1986, all UA
Sony: All their own (Columbia)

There are of course smaller libraries, PD films, and special cases on a film-by-film basis, but this is the main rundown for the Golden Age studios still owned by current Majors.

(A lot can be read about the current and former studio structures/holdings here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_studios)
Thank you Brandon, very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks