What's new

The WWE™ (1 Viewer)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
In an attempt to keep a long-term thread devoted to discussing the WWF (including, but not limited to, Raw is War, Smackdown, and all pay-per-views) here in the HTF, I'm forming this thread. Now onto business...
As a long time WWF viewer, I haven't been this pumped for each weekly show as I was ~two years ago when the McMahon/Helmsley regime was formed. It was great to see a heel group 'controlling' the matches and wrestlers and just generally screwing with everyone. I think having the nWo around is gonna be a blast. It's finally nice to see all the big-name wrestlers healthy at the same time. And it's just cool to see Hogan back in the WWF.
Onto Wrestlemania X8...
So far, I think X8 is shaping up well. That being said, I don't think I'd pay for a Jericho/Triple H main event. The Stephanie/Jericho angle was so very predictable that I was laughing out loud on Thursday night. Hopefully, they can pull off something enjoyable for the match (now Triple H/Austin, Triple H/Rock, even Triple H/Angle would be a great main event...not Jericho, but I digress). What makes me want to get X8 is the Rock/Hogan match. Like everyone's been saying: it's the dream match no one thought they'd ever see. And having The Rock conveniently 'hospitalized' will keep them out of each other's hair until all hell breaks loose on the 17th.
Other matches: Angle/Kane (meh.), APA/Billy & Chuck (meh.), Austin/Hall(?) (could be a great one), and Regal/Edge again (potential).
What I'd like to see:
  • The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudleyz vs. ? in a TLC III match would be great!
  • RVD vs. Tazz would bring some ECW flair
  • Nash vs. Big Show - damn. just damn.
It'd be an awesome card. Taker/Flair just doesn't do it for me - I don't think it'll be an enjoyable match. And for god's sake get rid of Booker T! I can't stand that hack!
I just hope tonight's Raw can keep the ball rolling from last week...
mike.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
btw, the best quote from No Way Out had to be Hogan saying "God bless Vince McMahon." Never thought I'd ever hear him say that!

mike.

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
Here is the RAW preview for tonight:

Mr. Perfect vs. Steve Austin

Hardy's vs. Billy and Chuck for the Tag Titles.

Jazz vs. Mighty Molly for the Women's Championship

---------------------------------

Now with the preview out of the way, Booker T in my opinion is very talented. The guy does have style, and at the same time can give those facial expressions that will just start to make me laugh.

In other WWF news, former WWF Light Heavyweight Champion and former ECW World Champion Jerry Lynn was released from the WWF three days ago when his contract ran out and was told there was no place for him. He showed up on a WWA PPV Sunday Night that took place in Las Vegas, NV. (1wrestling.com)

One other thing, I would love to see Jericho get a CLEAN win one of these days. It would really just place him on the map as a "True" champion.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
I can't say that I share your lack of enthusiasm for a HHH/Jericho Title match, Mike.

Those two have always clicked and busted out good matches out of each other. Their first match back in April of 2000 on RAW when Jericho actually won the title for a second off of Triple H was a great match. And then their follow up "Last Man Standing" match at that year's PPV Fully Loaded was one of my favorite matches of the year.

Now, with the WWF title on the line, I can't wait to see them tear into each other.

I'm actually looking foward to the Rock/Hogan match even though Hogan is a horrible wrestler. It's just something I really want to see though.

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
I really think that the HHH/Stephanie angle is just a swerve.The WWF needs a GREAT heel and Trips just fits the bill.

What are the plans for Hall and Nash for Wrestlemania?It would be nice to see them in some tag team competition.It has been awhile since I've looked forward to RAW.Last weeks was very entertaining

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
But remember, that match in 4/2000 never existed, right? ;)
The main problem with the Jericho/Triple H main is (in my opinion) the horrible job Jericho has done in being a heel. I just don't find his schtick enjoyable. Also, as Bill pointed out, he hasn't won a match 'legitimately' yet. It's always been either outside interference or his cheating. I liked the days when heel champs could win legit from time to time (Triple H at the Rumble & No Way Out circa 2000 come to mind). If they could've given him some legit wins, maybe my take would be different right now. I also don't believe he does a good job hangin' with the 'big boys'. Jericho makes a great Intercontinental champ, but not a WWF undisputed champ.
mike.

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I agree.Jericho's best moments in the WWF was as a underdog to Austin/HHH,intercontinental matches with Angle/Benoit,and as a verbal sparring partner with the Rock.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Yes, the WWF has pissed me off on the way they've used Jericho. God knows why they were giving him frickin curtain-jerking WWF title matches against opponents like Edge on RAW, but I think the match at Wrestlemania will be tremendous.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Okay, I have a question that has bugged me (and a couple of my friends) for the last few weeks.

Before the WCW was bought by WWF, the WCW storylines were haphazardly written, and titles changed almost on a weekly basis.

I remember during one of those later shows that Chuck Palumbo actually won the WCW Heavyweight Championship.

But now that I check the title history websites, they don't seem to mention this historic win.

I'm pretty sure that he won it, but I can't remember how he lost.

So can anyone out there say why Chuck Palumbo isn't referred to as a 'Former WCW Heavyweight Champion'?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Booker T is very talented. I wish WWF would make better use of him. They have been inconsistent with his character.

Gui, I think Chuck Palumbo unofficially won the title; he had the title in his hands but it was later overturned or something. By the way, what is up with his hair?

Stephen, Hall will be facing Austin at Wrestlemania. As for Nash, I think he's been underutilized so far. I would like to see him destroy some cruiserweights (not like they are being used well) in an impromptu match.

Jericho is okay as a main eventer. I don't really like his mic and in-ring work.

~T

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Wait, Austin vs The Big Alchy at Wrestlemania? Oh christ, so Austin is going to carry Scott Hall around the ring for 20min?

On the Subject of Booker T: I hate him, I hate his hair, I hate his costume, I hate his gloves, I hate his style, I hate his character. Put him on Jakked where he belongs! There are so many people like Tajiri that are stuck in the mid-card that have so much more wrestling talent. He's another product of the lame WCW machine, making people like Stone Cold Bill Goldberg and The Big Lazy into multimillion dollar stars, even though they had no actual talent for the buisness, and caused all kinds of problems backstage (OK, That was mostly Nash)

Kevin J Willis

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that they need to push Tajiri or any of the cruiserweights more in the WWF. They also need to push Booker T more. He is a great talent and is being wasted in the WWF right now.

As for Booker T being created by WCW, so what? That doesn't mean he is any less talented. Goldberg was over because the fans loved him. Yes, he has the same look as Austin, but in terms of wrestling style, they were very different.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
As for Booker T being created by WCW, so what? That doesn't mean he is any less talented. Goldberg was over because the fans loved him. Yes, he has the same look as Austin, but in terms of wrestling style, they were very different.
I agree. So what if Booker T was created by WCW? He and DDP deserve to have been treated better by WWF, as both guys can deliver at the main event level. Goldberg and Austin are extremely different. There were about two guys in WCW at that time who had that same look (Darsow and I believe one of the Texas Rednecks), but I never saw anyone refer to them as "Stone Cold." In fact, Goldberg had that look long before Austin became "Stone Cold."

Tajiri is a talented wrestler, but he should remain at the mid-card level. Wrestling talent alone doesn't make one a main eventer.

~T

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this isn't a thread killer but does anybody know about the condition of Hayabusa from the FMW(Japan)?I heard he suffered a serious neck(?)injury a couple of months back.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I could like Booker T if not for 2 things, the way he talks and the spin-a-rooni, what a ridiculous move.
I second the call for a Nash/Big Show match at wrestlemania.
Hall has gotta go :)
I like how the three of them ran from Stone Cold for half the show, but then all of a sudden we have to believe they are a threat to the whole WWF. Come on, there are enough guys in the WWF to take care of these 3 if we did not have to suspend belief for so long.
Doug
"What is the most idiotic catch phrase in wrestling history." No, there should not be a question mark at the end of that sentence, it was a statement. I guess it needs more punctuation...
"What, IS the most idiotic catch phrase in wrestling history."
Come on Stone Cold, please come up with something new, even the watch gimmick, just something else.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I love the What? catchphrase, though I do think fans are over-using it at live events. Reserve it for Stone Cold, Angle, and the McMahons and we'll be just fine. I'll admit that when Austin first started using it when he was a heel, it annoyed me, but when the fans started getting into it at the shows, it began to grow on me. I'm sure like most things, your tolerance may vary... ;)
mike.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
I think the HHH-Y2J main event will be great. The other matches that are shaping now, might have problems.

Kane-Angle should be fine.

Rock-Hogan ain't going to be good, Hogan in ring is too old and slow for a 20 minute PPV match.

Austin-Hall could be really disappointing, but hopefully Hall is in decent in-ring shape.

Taker-Flair will probably happen, but I doubt it can be very good.

APA-B&C needs 5 more TV shows to build it up.

Regal-RVD should be alright.

Nash needs a match and Big Show should be it. The last time they were in the ring together it wasn't pretty when Nash dropped him on his head with an aborted power bomb in WCW.

No womens title match yet, and there is alot of talent that will be unused. Could be some sort of 30-man hardcore title match I guess.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I will be shocked if Jericho doesn't win at Wrestlemania... Vince is out to prove he can get Jericho to the next level. The fact that everyone here thinks he sucks is exactly the reaction the WWF is looking for. The longer he keeps the belt, the more heat he gets. Personally, besides The Game, Jericho is the best wrestler in the WWF. I think the HHH/Jericho match will be the best one on the card. They will build up Austin/Hall and Rock/Hogan(God how bad will this match be???) so much that HHH/Jericho will steal the show. For the record it will be pathetic to see Hogan beat the Rock at Wrestlemania(Rock has never won at WM).

Give Jericho a break he is our generations Ric Flair.

dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks