What's new

The worst commercials (1 Viewer)

Craig_T

Second Unit
Those STUPID, OBNOXIOUS, UNFUNNY, MORONIC, NEVER-ENDING Herbal Essence commercials with the women supposedly having orgasms using their wonderful shampoo. "YES..YES..YES..YES!!" Earth to Herbal Essence idiots, check your calendars please: "When Harry Met Sally" came out 13 YEARS AGO. Could you possibly make your ads look more outdated, tiresome, and unoriginal? For the love of god, get a new ad campaign already!

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Especially because what they're using to advertise their macdaddy HT system is a film in mono (Battlestar Galactica)
LOL I didn't realize that they were showing a real movie. I thought it was just a generic space scene.
Another one I like now are the new Orkin Man commercials. They start out like one of the cheesy over dramatised bathsoap type commercial then you see a bug crawl over the screen. Funny stuff.
I also hate those Mazda commercials with the kid going "Zoom Zoom Zoom". That whole song bugs me. Don't know why, it just does. :)
edit: fixed the blame to the right car manufacturer. :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Those STUPID, OBNOXIOUS, UNFUNNY, MORONIC, NEVER-ENDING Herbal Essence commercials with the women supposedly having orgasms using their wonderful shampoo. "YES..YES..YES..YES!!"
There was a commercial for Fudge-Covered Oreo cookies in 1988 that was just like that. I have it on a videotape (home recordings of stuff not commercially available is the only reason I have this).

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Any car ads where kids drive around seemingly all night long listening to a song, where someone in the car is dancing.. OK... &*(& that... no one does that..

And not Jared, but that other subway guy.. What is with him.. No humor in those commercials at all..

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Those annoying "Zoom zoom" car commercials are courtesy of Mazda, actually. (I wanna smack that little kid in the commercial who starts it off....;) )
As far as commercials which absolutely have made me avoid their product, my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-place awards would have to go to Old Navy. Nearly every commercial they've aired, from those early ones with Morgan Fairchild and that old lady with the big glasses, to their current "Rugby Bunch" ones, are like nails on a blackboard to me. I have to change the channel or mute the sound. (And if Molly Sims hadn't been easy on the eyes, I would've avoided her commercials like the plague, too....)

Sean P

Agent
Let me throw my hat into the ring as particularly loathing the Mazda "Zoom, Zoom" commercials. I wasen't all that likely to buy a Mazda, but it turned to downright certainty after I started regularly hearing these.

The Old Navy commercials are annoying, but can anyone think of a series style commercial that dosen't go well past wearing out it's welcome?

As for commercials done right - here are my 2 favorite.

1. A polaroid commercial several years ago. Its was Christmas themed. It has a Santa reading a letter from a boy, but the Santa confused by the description. Then this demented looking elf says, "Horse 'em" Then another kid writes another confusing letter and that same demented elf says, "Another horse?", but the boy thought to include a picture of what he wanted. Just the though of that demented elf makes me smile.

2. A blockbuster commercial (I think) a few years back. 2 high school girls are talking in the bathroom. The first-a very tan girl, says, " I spent my vacation in Cabo". The second, a pale, goth looking girl walkes up next to a dumbfounded smiling guy and says, "we played games all week-we never even saw the sun", smirks, and walks away. The tan girl simply replies, "That's my boyfriend"

It's rare, but sometimes commercials are done right.

Sean

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Sean P wrote:
My votes for "collectible" commercials are 2:
[a] the highly comical KIA commercials of a few years ago, the most memorable of which was the "gay-trucker" commercial.
the Snickers commercials of a few ad-campaigns ago: "Not going anywhere soon?" Some of these were hilarious.
Commercials like these I don't mind seeing over and over. Is there any way to find out how one might petition to get these onto DVD? (The sit-coms should be so funny.)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Old Navy commercials are annoying, but can anyone think of a series style commercial that dosen't go well past wearing out it's welcome?
Actually, I wanted to burn down Old Navy stores after the first commercial's first airing

Performance fleece, ooh it's fine. If you don't shut up, I'll go fetch my 9(mm)!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm glad someone pointed out that the Radio Shack commercial uses a mono film to advertise 5.1 audio. Too funny.

Old Navy - haven't seen them in a while and then *BAM* they're back. Yay. WHO was that old woman with the Coke bottle glasses anyway?

Apple - I'm a Mac fan, and those commercials ARE true for those people that are confused by Windows and the ads DO work...but they suck. They have the right message but they're done wrong. "Hi, I'm Goober and I don't have a girlfriend but I got this bitchin' Mac". There's a spoof on the Mac commercials on the net that's funny as hell. "Hi, I'm (whatever the name was) and I'm a gamer. Well, I used to be". HAHA!

The guy who sells those Windows training CDs. He gets all comfy in your face and tells you how great his training CDs are. Problem is, you have to figure out how to use Windows to use them. HELLO, MCFLY!

Dell Dude. 'Nuff said. I actually bought a Dell laptop, not because the kid made me do it, but because the technical specs of the machine were better than anything else out there. I did want to buy a Gateway but their specs weren't as good as Dells for the same price.

Trix. Give the friggin' rabbit his Trix already. Any sane person would have shot themselves in the head by now for trying to get something for 30 years and failing every Saturday morning.

Mike

LewB

Screenwriter
Her name escapes me at the moment, but I do recall hearing that she died :frowning:

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The Mitsubishi ad with that annoying song by Bare Naked Ladies is even more obnoxious than the one with the spastic chick.

There's an ad out for a jeans company that uses the song "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. I never thought a song about the Vietnam War would be used to sell jeans. If Creedence (John Fogarty) had anything to do with letting this song be used in this ad, then I've lost all respect for him.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Anyone who lives in the Chicago-land area has had to of seen the awful Eagle Insurance commercials. A jack-ass dressed as an Eagle comes down after a car accident, squats on top of a car, says in a real bad acted voice "I've got something for you", and an an egg appears. Then the egg cracks open with a horrible baby eagle puppet holding rates in its beaks. The two horrible actresses then say "Wow, look at those low rates."
The Dell commercials with that annoying kid have gotten on my nerves from day one.
The best commercials are the VW adds. I love the more recent one were the guy licks the door handle so no one will buy it. :)
Also, the A&W root beer ad with the guy in the interview going "Thanks for the interview, Mr. Dumb-ass," "it was a pleasure meeting you, Mr. Dumb-ass." And then the guy says, "Its Du-mas."
That one hit kind of close to home. ;)
-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Another great commercial is the one with the guy going "This lipstick doesn't look like your color."
"$200 for a massage? I don't remember that"
"Honey, come here, I'm watching the video of my bachelor party"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
-Dean-

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
John Fogerty does not own the rights to the CCR catalog. They're owned by movie producer and head of Fantasy Records (CCR's label) Saul Zaents (about whom Fogerty wrote the song "Mr Greed"). Here's a little column about this song and the commercial: Link Removed
I too was appalled when I saw this commercial, which cuts off the "patriotic" lyrics right after the line "Some folks are born made to wave the flag, ooh, they're red, white and blue". Normally that line would be followed by "And when the band plays 'Hail to the Chief', they'll point the cannon at you"...
/Mike

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen a few really funny commercials, but the majority of them are boring or just plain awful. I haven't really had to sit through many commercials after upgrading to a UltimateTV PVR. I just make sure I'm recording the show for at least 15-20 min. before I start watching it. I can then FF through the commercials as they come up. Anyone else skip all the commercials?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
John Fogerty does not own the rights to the CCR catalog. They're owned by movie producer and head of Fantasy Records (CCR's label) Saul Zaents (about whom Fogerty wrote the song "Mr Greed"). Here's a little column about this song and the commercial: Link Removed
Thanks for the info MickeS! Now I know why Fogarty hates Zaentz so much.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, its quite a few years ago now, but I closed my bank account with Barclays after the first time I saw one of those life assurance adverts.

Oh so tastefully scored with an instrumental of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division.

I'm sure I remember seeing at least one airline advert a while back scored with a track by a band who died in a plane crash, as well, but I can't for the life of me remember which one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks