What's new

"The Wonder Years" on DVD (1 Viewer)

Darth Bowie

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Correct...retail outlets would have the sets on sale, therefore, I believe Fox should set the retail price at $79.99 ($59.99 on sale) for each season WITH THE ORIGINAL MUSIC INTACT (to cover costs). For the short 1st season, set it at $39.99 ($24.99-$29.99 on sale).
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

David Levine

Supporting Actor
AnthonyC said:
I know that every single set is different, but they managed to get the first season of SNL out there retailing for ~$50, which I think would be a fair price for each season (besides the first obviously...if not packaged with the second, I'd pay maybe $25).
SNL had a huge advantage in that Universal put it out themselves, and I'm sure they had a much easier/cheaper time clearing any Universal acts.

Darth Bowie

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
There is a great NEW interview with Dan Lauria (Jack Arnold). He talks about the series coming to DVD and the original ending planned for the aborted 7th season. Listen to it at the "Just My Show" site (Show #14).

MikeMO

Stunt Coordinator
This was a excellent interview. I got a lot of insight.

I have always wondered why another show like TWY hasn't aired. A show that is grounded in reality, and happy outcomes don't necessarily get tacked onto the end of each episode. People don't want to be depressed when watching TV, but I'd think people would love to watch a show that REALLY represented how high school was. Or TRULY represented the dynamic between sibling rivalry, or the interaction between parents, or the feeling of being you and insecure.

But, I have a question...in the interview, Lauria states that the ratings were great throughout. If so, why did the network pull the plug on the show at the last minute? And why didn't another network pick up the program?

And two...this is the first time I heard that they expected a seventh season. What do you guys think of that? I think every season was good, but the sixth had it's share of not so great episodes. I guess that will just naturally happen when a show is on for a while, and the Kevin gets older and gets farther away from that cute, innocent looking little child. Do you think a 7th season would've worked well for the show?

I found it really impressive to hear that the finale was mapped out for years.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
MikeMO said:
But, I have a question...in the interview, Lauria states that the ratings were great throughout. If so, why did the network pull the plug on the show at the last minute? And why didn't another network pick up the program?
As much as I enjoyed this program, I think they would have been hard-pressed to squeeze another season or two out of the format. By design, not to mention title, this was a show about the "age of innocence" we all go through, aka adolescence. By the time the series wrapped, Kevin and company were teetering towards adulthood.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i may be mis-remembering
the end of the last show or taking the end of another ep and put it at the very end, but the last ep recently aired on ION and it was NOT the same as i rememeber.
i always thought it ended with a flash back or forward of them shooting hoops in the driveway and then a fade out.
anyone remember what ep that was?

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto
TonyD said:
i may be mis-remembering
the end of the last show or taking the end of another ep and put it at the very end, but the last ep recently aired on ION and it was NOT the same as i rememeber.
i always thought it ended with a flash back or forward of them shooting hoops in the driveway and then a fade out.
anyone remember what ep that was?
You're thinking of the second season episode, "Loosiers." It just aired again on ION this week. The story is about basketball and the friendship of Kevin and Paul. The ending shows far away images of adult Kevin and Paul playing basketball while the narrator tells us that the friendship endured.

pandion

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hi, I'm new to this Forum.

I've been following this thread on The Wonder Years for a while because it was always one of my more favorite shows and was initially delighted to hear that perhaps it might be coming out on DVD. The general consensus here seems to be, though, that it won't be coming out in the near future due to the music copyrights that apparently can't be obtained.

What I don't understand though, is that there are a number of websites that claim they have the complete Wonder Years episodes on DVD. (I couldn't post the URL links because I haven't made 10 posts or more, according to the rules). How is it that these websites can make the claim to having the entire series? Is it merely that they don't have the music rights but still have all of the episodes? I really don't understand. Can someone please straighten me out on this?

Also, can anyone tell me whether it's worth buying one of these DVDs? I can probably live without the original music scores, but I'm particularly concerned with the quality of the episodes. I'd hate to buy one merely to find out that the quality of the show is horrible. And of course the websites don't tell me anything about how good the show's quality is.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Pandion

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
They're bootlegs. Besides, even if they were legal, if it promises "All 93 episodes on 7 discs!" or thereabouts there's no way it'll have even remotely acceptable picture quality.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yep, dont post those links.
we are not allowed to talk about boots on this forum.

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Well, SNL had the advantage of all performances being sung live... so they only had to pay the publishers for rights. Wonder years uses actual hit RECORDINGS, so you ahve to pay BOTH publishing and for the use of the RECORDING. That's why if a show has live music performances, then there is much better chance of it coming out.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, I am resigned to the fact that we will never see this series on DVD, and if it is released it won't bear any resemblance to the original shows. The music that was chosen for each show played an important part of the show. The episodes just wouldn't be the same with replaced music.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yep, they're bootlegs. Most likely they were downloaded off the net and someone authored those DVDs on the cheapest media available. It's not worth the price of the DVD media. Save your money.

pandion

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I appreciate all of you setting me straight. I was almost desparate enough to buy one of the DVDs from the links I've seen but based on what all of you have recommended, I'll stay away from them. Bummer!

I do have one other question, though, that just dawned on me. On the Tvshowsondvd.com website (from where I found this forum), there are a couple of DVDs for The Wonder Years listed - "Best of The Wonder Years" and "The Best of the Christmas Wonder Years". Are these legitimate? And if so, how is it that these can be produced with music, soundtracks, etc. but not the rest of the episodes? I'm tempted to buy these too but again, I'll await your answers before making a decision.

Thanks ...

Pandion

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Those two "best-of" DVDs are indeed legitimate releases, but they suffer from extensive music replacement.

varybarry

Agent
Real Name
Layla
I can't stand the music replacement. It takes away from the shows. I wish there was some way to get the original music into the the box sets.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I can’t speak of the Christmas disc, but I have the “best of” disc and all it is, is a clip show episode and the hour long series finale. I don’t think that there was music in them, but I could be wrong. They did replace Joe Cocker version of “With a little Help From My Friends” to someone else though for the opening credits.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
You said something there! That old slasher movie Happy Birthday to Me was one I'd always wanted to replace my old VHS with a DVD. Then they go and replace music from it. Needless to say I'll be watching my old version with beautiful tracking lines all over it again this year. Anchor Bay will be my savior on that one someday.
I couldn't (****correction, of course****) imagine watching Wonder Years with any music replacements. It wont work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks