What's new

The Wolverine (2013) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I know, right? This is looking pretty nice. Here's an embedded version of the trailer. Sorry I couldn't do it in the last post.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I have seen the best Wolverine movie already. It was 50 seconds long, he was drinking whiskey and he told Magneto and Prof. X to "Go F--k yourself!". It was awesome.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Much much better than the previous Wolverine film as well as The Last Stand.After all the mayhem and destruction from previous summer films it's nice to see a film that attempts to build the action around the story for a change and whilst it does build to a somewhat predictable confrontation, at least the film has taken the time to try and develop these characters. It's also nice to see this as a direct continuation from the third X-Men film with a welcome return from one of the other characters from that series. There are a couple of jumps in the film which felt like scenes had been removed and it is very bloodless considering all the blades flying around, but it also feels much more grounded with only the bullet train sequence teetering on the verge of ridiculous CGIAnd if the credits teaser at the end of the film doesn't get you excited for next years big film, I don't know what will :)*** 1/2 out of *****

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Been reading lots of good reviews on this, but trying to avoid any with spoilers and I've been avoiding the recent trailers and clips. As for the violence, I've read many comments that it feels like they are pushing the PG-13 limits pretty hard. But I'll have to see for myself. James Mangold has recently said he plans on releasing an unrated cut with more blood/violence on home video. Will be seeing it this weekend.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Simon Massey said:
After all the mayhem and destruction from previous summer films it's nice to see a film that attempts to build the action around the story for a change and whilst it does build to a somewhat predictable confrontation, at least the film has taken the time to try and develop these characters.
That alone would qualify it as my favorite movie of the summer. If there one thing that all the summer films so far have had in common, it's the destruction on a massive scale, so much so that it's become boring, and given all the so-called blockbusters a sameness (which is the last thing they should have).

I have no preconceptions of the movie. I just hope it's good.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
SamDon't go in expecting Oscar worthy story lines, but agreed it was a welcome relief after being bombed into submission by all the destruction this summer.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
My favorite movie of the summer. It wiped the bitter taste of the first Wolverine movie out of my mouth, as well as showed how a comic book movie should be done. And stay during the credits as there's a scene that ties it in with the next X-Men movie.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I have no idea how it avoided an R rating, but this was a brilliant screenplay well realized. I thought this was a brooding, moody film that matched the tone I was looking for. I appreciate the move away from gigantic explosions in favor of up close storytelling. B+

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw this today. IMO, it's the best movie of the summer. Finally, something different, and with respect of the source material. I liked that the ninjas weren't cartoon characters, and the two female leads were terrific -- as was Jackman. Great, great film, highly recommended to anyone who enjoys X-Men or the genre.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Saw it this afternoon and I thought it was really good. Definitely a change of pace from other comic book based films, and that's appropriate for Wolverine. X-Men Origins: Wolverine tried to be "X-Men Light" and suffered for it (and other reasons, like not getting the character of Logan right)."The Wolverine" is really a character piece for Logan, with some nice romance and some cool and brutal action beats. But it's not really an "action movie", and that worked well for the mood and tone of the film. I've read some criticism that the climax has more of an action movie tone, and that is true. But the reason for it is the driving point for the plot of the film, so i had no real issue with that. I would have liked to have seen more of the fight with Harada's ninjas. There were a bunch of shots in the trailers from this fight that didn't make it into the film. I believe Mangold has referenced this scene specifically when he spoke about a more violent unrated cut for home video.
image.jpg
Yukio was a nice surprise. I'd like to see more of that character. I thought Mariko was very good as well. They both did really well, especially considering it was the first acting gig for both. And yep, the mid credits scene was a neat little set up for Days of Future Past. I'm still going to put Iron Man 3 as my favorite of the summer so far. I just had so much fun with the film. But The Wolverine is right up there and I'm looking forward to another viewing. It's a quality film, and it's a shame that it probably won't do as well at the box office as it should because of people being turned off from "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".Logan: Your Grandfather called me a Ronin, a samurai with no master, destined to live forever ... with nothing to live for.Mariko: Was he right?Logan: Yes.Mariko: ... Still?:) Good stuff

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sean Bryan said:
Yukio was a nice surprise. I'd like to see more of that character. I thought Mariko was very good as well. They both did really well, especially considering it was the first acting gig for both.
Agreed. Here's hoping we haven't seen the last of either of them in these films.

It just seemed a more grown up film to me, and Jackman really brought Logan's anguish out. Of course, it's never really clear that his love for Jean was unrequited, which could have made it more poignant when he found someone else.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Yukio in love with Logan in the '82 series on which this is based? Dropping that particular subplot was probably a good idea for the sake of the film.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Oh yes, I'd definitely say it's a much more grown up film. It's been a long while since I've read the comics this was based on, so I couldn't say much about Yukio's feelings for Logan in the original story. But they definitely have something there with this character and her partnership with Logan. I'm not sure how likely it is that we'd see her in Days of Future Past, but I hope Fox is smart enough to see they should try to work her into future X-Men or X-Force films. Though she'd probably fit much better in another solo Wolverine film if that happens. Best to keep a solo Wolverine movie more grounded, and Yukio would be a great character option for that.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Oh, and I also think the stuff in Logan's head with Jean was really well done. It gave a very nice sense of closure to that relationship and her death at the hands of Logan in The Last Stand. It's weird to say, but the way that was handled in this film actually makes me feel a bit better about The Last Stand. It doesn't magically make The Last Stand a good movie or anything, but it does make me feel a little better about it now, knowing the effect that it has on Logan which carried through this good film.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thoroughly enjoyed the film last night.

What I especially loved was the comic-inspired imagery. The arrow-lines holding Logan, the silhouette shot with the sword, etc. Visually, there were many times it looked like a comic book.I haven't read the original stories in 30 years, but I do still have them (in boxes, in bags, with backer-boards - like they should be). I may have to go back and re-read them (also the original Days Of Future Past story - also stored correctly).

David

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed The Wolverine. The first half or so, as it works through, by flashbacks and dream sequences, Wolverine's history and current tormented state over the death of a Jean Gray, was great. I loved the setup for the choice of remaining (seemingly) immortal and its pains, or possible being able to die and finally be at peace.The middle got soggy with gratuitously spinning ninjas and too many villains acting with unexplained motives. The bullet train action scene was pretty great. The second half did not live up to the full potential, and the strongest story options were jettisoned. The gratuitous love story was a waste of screen time, lacked chemistry, was with the wrong woman, and stole time from better story concerns. And the web of alliances was too complex. I am uncertain who was motivated by what, and if they were a good guy or bad guy. There were at least six players interwoven with each other, and I couldn't tell what was going on.I enjoyed it. It was perfect, and the first half was by far the best part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks