What's new

THE WIZARD OF OZ: 2 and 3-Disc on October 25th, 2005 (1 Viewer)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
This is also my all time favorite movie.
I am 40,
so i remember the days when the annual television airing
was still an "event"...even after 1975 when the edited
version became the norm.
This was the first movie that I bought on vhs,
and i have nearly every incarnation.

I thought that The Ultimate Oz laserdisc was
a dream come true.
I may never reach that level of excitement again,
but this dvd set comes close.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
As a side thought, I've briefed through nearly every OZ book ever published, and in every title there are stills of the first two shooting weeks that were eventually scrapped. The make-up was substantially different for Judy Garland and Margaret Hamilton. Does anyone know if any of this footage every survived, or are we left with only a handfull of stills?
If any of this footage survived it would make the ultimate extra on any OZ boxset as far as I'm concerned.

Has anyone on this forum seen actual footage related to the description above? I would be in seventh heaven, if I could see some of this.:D

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Eric, as far as everyone knows, the footage no longer exists of the Richard Thorpe "era". There are a few brief moments of the filming of the Scarecrow's cornfield during these weeks that can be glimpsed on the current dvd, and I'm sure the new one. All other deleted footage of Oz is also lost. I would love to see the deleted "Triumphant Procession" musical number with 300 Emerald City extras leading the foursome through the streets, proclaiming the death of the W.Witch of the West. We are lucky that the Scarecrow's dance was found and restored. Who knows? Maybe one of these lucky days, more footage will turn up in a salt mine somewhere.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I wish I could add something new to the thread, but I feel it is only appropriate for me to express how much this film means to me, if only in a quick less than a paragraph post.

Seeing this on DVD is likely the only way I'll ever be able to see this film seeing that my local theatres to not garner to classics anymore. :frowning: It is truly an amazing film that still has me guessing. And yes, I am going for that 3-Disc box set!

Best double-dip EVER!

Ryan

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have not scrutinized over the specs of this
set, and have ordered it blindly.

Question...

Does the 3-disc set have everything that was
on the last Oz release including the Angela Landsbury
documentary?

I ask, because I will give away my older DVD to a
friend if this new release repeats all the material.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
The Angela Lansbury documentary is included on the new set (I believe it's on either set since the primary additions for the 3-disc set are Baum related materials.

I'm not sure if it's been assured that everything is carried over yet though. There is some debate as to whether the commentary track is a new one, or the same one from the Ultimate OZ LD. I'm hoping that it's the old one, since it's the best commentary track that I've ever heard.

I hope that all of the audio outtakes are carried over, and that they have a better interface for them this time around.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Scott,

Did you get your information at the OZ festival in Chesterton this past weekend by chance?:D

I saw that John was there, next to Meinhardt Rabbe (The Original Coroner Munchkin), but he was out to lunch when I was there. Had he been there, I would have asked him myself.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Tell John that he has a huge fanbase (he probably already knows this), including me.
I used to see him at my church in Manhattan, but never had the guts to approach him.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
You should have approached him. John is one of the kindest, most enthusiastic people I have ever met. And he loves to meet with fans of Oz and Judy Garland.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

I agree. He has always been so kind to me when I have talked to him online through e-mails, etc. He is such a great body of knowledge concerning OZ and Judy.

Andy

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
John is John Fricke, a Judy Garland/Wizard of OZ historian. He has a massive collection, and has written/co-written several books, including:
- The Wizard of OZ: 50th Anniversary Pictoria History
- Judy Garland: World's Greatest Entertainer
- Judy Garland: A Portrait in Art and Anecdote
- 100 Years of Oz: A Century of Classic Images

He has also written liner notes for many Judy CDs, produced TV specials included Judy Garland: By Myself. He has also recorded intoductions, and or commentaries for many of Warner's Judy DVDs including, Easter Parade, Meet Me in St. Louis, Love Finds Andy Hardy, In the Good Old Summertime, Ziegfeld Girl, For Me and My Gal and has apparently recorded a new commentary for the upcoming OZ DVD. His previous OZ commentary for the Ultimate OZ set is regarded my many to become among the very best. He is an amazing treasure, and is always present at various Garland or Oz events.

Andy

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, some of the Munchkins, and Lois January who played one of the ladies who make over Dorothy in the Emerald City...She sang "We can make a dimpled smile out of a frown." I've met her.....lovely lady.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Meinhardt Raabe signed his new autobiography for me at the Oz fest last weekend. It is great to read something actually written by a cast member. He goes into every detail about the scene....I even read things that I didn't know! A must read.
Last year, Jerry Maren sold these certificates for Honorary Membership into the Lollypop Guild. He signed and dated my certificate....too cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks