What's new

THE WIRE season 4 (see post #1 re: SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
Michael - you are right about Bunk. I also watched the next episode and loved every scene with Bunk.

One of the only things that i have scratched my head about recently is that i don't see a clear (and maybe that's their point) story line for the boys. I'm not sure yet how they are going to tie all of the stories lines together in the next 5 weeks. I keep waiting for some big huge event to tie all of thier stuff together. It's kind of like each of them has thier own story line that link up with the other but they don't really bring them together as a group. We'll have to wait and see what happens becuase I'm sure something major must happen.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
The way I see it, it's a story about divergence. All four of the boys constitute a circle of friends, and each one is in the same grade at school, in the same class. Their storylines begin to diverge based on the content of their characters, the decisions they make, and their upbringing. For instance, Namond is the wealthiest of the four boys, but that wealth comes with a certain expectation that he'll step up and fill his father's shoes. Dookie, by far the least well off, will take a different path, as will Randy and Michael, each according to their own specific set of circumstances as well as who they are. It's a story about the painful passing from childhood into adulthood, and the establishment of the men they will grow up to be.
It also seems the story takes place within the same time frame as the episodes: the season began in September with the boys coming back to school, and while Carcetti has won the primary, he has yet to win the actual mayoral election (which should be happening next week in real time).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Very well said Mark, especially the concept of divergence in contrast to Chad's expectation of convergence (i.e., "tie all the storylines together").

(Not a knock on you, Chad :) ).

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Fans of The Wire should check out this week's Law and Order: SVU, which featured Michael K. Williams a/k/a "Omar" as a pimp who specializes in turning out underage runaways. Look for an unexpected Wire cameo when the pimp switches identities with someone else in lockup in order to arrange an earlier release.

The episode, entitled "Underbelly", repeats on USA on Sunday/Monday, Nov. 26-27, at midnight.

On a different point, those who have been missing McNulty should enjoy this Sunday's Wire episode, "Misgivings".

Holadem, you're gonna love "Misgivings". ;)

M.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yeah that was fun :laugh:.

In this episode we also find that that Michael's last name is Corleone :eek:
This is one of those plot development (especially in contrast to Namond's) that I am pissed I didn't see coming - in retrospect, it's rather obvious, and pretty classical actually.

Having somewhat um... jumped ahead (I just couldn't wait!), it's been difficult to generate any indepth discussions (which this show begs for, aaargh) in this thread for fear of spoiling people.

Last night I dreamnt that I was being pursued by Chris :frowning:.

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Chris's latest stunt seemed to catch even Snoop off guard, and she doesn't rattle easily.

M.

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
I agree with everyone that it has been a little hard to discuss this season with everyone watching on different days.

My only hope for the rest of this season and next is that Clay Davis gets what's coming to him. The actor that plays him does a great job being slimy.

I watched the next episode last night and i suspect a lot of posts will happen the day after. There is a ton, in my opinion, of major plot points that come to the fore front. Can't wait to discuss.

Quick question: Is anyone disappointed with this season? i am totally enjoying it. i don't know where i would rank it yet with the other seasons, but i have loved each of the episodes that have been on.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I generally cannot stand the Poot character, but his conversations leading to the featured quote of last episode "World going one way, people another" had me dying.

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I share the sentiment, but I have a feeling that we're going to be disappointed. Davis is the ultimate survivor, and he's clearly spent years perfecting the art of playing everyone and still coming out smiling. Clay Davis is what Prop Joe dreams of being and can't quite manage.

In the episode you just watched (currently only available through on demand), there's a sequence involving Freamon's old subpoenas that I think pretty much lays out how things are going to proceed as far as Davis and his ilk are concerned. (I'm being vague so as not to spoil anything.)

As an aside, in the past few months, I've seen five members of The Wire cast in local theater productions, each time playing someone totally different from their Wire character with complete conviction and credibility. One of them was Isiah Whitlock, Jr., who plays Davis. The depth of acting talent on this show is astonishing.

M.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am totally enjoying every episode this season. I would rank this season as being as good as the first season.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
I watched Sunday's episode last night and it appears that there will be a lot of things left unresolved this year. I am trying to decide how they are going to conclude many of the issues that have come the forefront in this episode.

James St

Supporting Actor
I'm disappointed that there are only 2 episodes left after having watched the latest last night.

todd stone

Screenwriter
it is 10pm, hbo said stay tuned for a brand new wire, yet every freaking sunday at 10pm it is last weeks episode.

why????

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Because the episode is "new" to HBO. But it's already been available for six days through HBO On Demand, which is apparently how you're watching them. This has been discussed in the dedicated thread for season 4, of which your thread is now a part.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just finished watching the very eventful episode entitled "That's Got His Own". It's episode #49 of the series, #12 of season 4. It will premiere as a "new" episode on HBO next Sunday, Dec. 3. People with On Demand can watch it anytime this week starting today (Nov. 27).

M.

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
I think the last episode had line of the season for me.

Omar to Prop Joe while sticking a gun in his face -

"Tickle my fancy, fat man."

That just killed me when he said that.

I have a sneaking suspicion that season 5 is going to revolve around all of the bodies pulled out by Lester. The media is going to have a hay day with that. Also, with the revival of the MCU, i have to think that McNulty is going to be back in the fold next season.

You have to feel bad for Dukie. Since he is being moved up to High School he is losing his safety blankets - friends, his computer and Mr. Prez. I feel bad for him. And, it sure doesn't look like it is going to end up good for the other three boys.

I can't wait to see what the last 2 weeks bring.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Another possibility is that it will revolve around a corruption investigation resulting from Lester's subpoenas. He's always wanted to follow the money, and with Daniels and Carcetti, he might just get a chance.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks