What's new

THE WIRE season 3 (ongoing thread) (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Dominic West is British? I had no idea. They both do a tremendous job. :emoji_thumbsup:

EDIT: It's interesting to read about these guys playing such tough characters that, to so many, feel true to life and contrasting it with their real lives. Idris Elba DJ's and Michael K. Williams (Omar) has a background in dance.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

I found out West was British a year or so ago. Before that I thought he did a wonderful job as a British guitar player in Rock Star. I guess its the other way around.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Which was added humor when McNulty worked to develop a British accent last season for the sting on the brothel.

Anthony S.

Agent
I'm also somewhat sad to see String get got, mainly because I think Elba's acting has been one of the many strong suits of this show.

It will be interesting to see if Omar backs off Avon and the rest of the Barksdale crew now that Avon gave up String to him.

McNulty's expressions said it all: I don't think he minded too much being used for sex. He seemed to recognize that the tables were turned on him but was somewhat amused if mildly disturbed. I think it really turned him off that she was so crass about her approach to HIS WORK. Good police that he is, he couldn't stomach that.

BTW, anyone hear anything about a 4th season?

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
I have a sneaky suspicion that this maybe the last season due to its' poor ratings. I think that is why they (the writers/producers) are wrapping up loose plot threads ie Stringer's demise and Avon's eventual re-arrest. I could be wrong though.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't know about the ratings, but HBO has received enormous critical acclaim for The Wire, and they're in a tricky period now with the end of Sex and the City and the impending end of The Sopranos and Six Feet Under. So if David Simon wants to do another season, I'm sure they'll consider it.

BTW, I found a terrific interview that David Simon and George Pelecanos gave to NPR at the beginning of season 3. Well worth listening to, especially as we near the end of the season:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=3933251

M.

Anthony S.

Agent
It has been posted on tivocommunity that David Simon said in a chat session on hbo.com that they (the production crew) are working on a 4th and 5th seasons, but HBO will probably make a decision in January on whether to run them. The poster also reports that Simon said that he will be done with it after the 5th season.

Personally, I don't see how HBO does not pick up the last two seasons. Sopranos won't be back until '06, and then it will be done after that. The show receives universal critical acclaim, to hell with ratings! HBO already has our money in the form of sub fees and they don't have ad revenue to worry about. I just don't see the issue here.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I found this paragraph particularly encouraging:

It suggests that HBO is continuing its tradition of looking at content, not ratings.

M.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Michael,

I read that too and I sincerely hope it is so. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm not sure what HBO would gain by cancelling such a critically aclaimed show, particularly when they love to pat themselves on the back for being the critics' darlings.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm sure HBO doesn't need the low ratings explained to them. They promoted the show from the secondary slot it occupied in its first two seasons (10pm with a lead-in from Sex and the City at 9) to the flagship Sunday night slot, and they did it with a show that depends more than most on viewers' knowledge of what happened in prior seasons. Couple that with the fall competition from the networks, and I doubt the numbers surprised anyone.

M.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I wonder if they also take into consideration those who tune into the various rebroadcasts throughout the week and TIVO/DVR numbers (if they track those).

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
A great finale. Everything is wrapped up very well so if this is the last of the series, they've tied up all the ends.

There were some nice parallels and connections to the prior seasons: The camera panning past election posters for Frank Sabotka in the scene with Omar tossing a bag into the water. Also the end court scene with Barksdale, this time with Marlo in the courtroom rather than McNulty.

There were transitions for the main players: McNulty going back to a beat, Kima cheating, Daniels gaining rank, while still keeping that "the more things change, the more they stay the same" feel to it. Individuals have come, gone, and changed, but the city and the streets and the game keep grinding on.

EDIT: It was also nice to see McNulty turn a corner with his life as well as with the job.

If this was the end, it was a great end. But I hope not.

James St

Supporting Actor
Great episode. While a lot was wrapped up there is still plenty of story lines for a fourth season.

I laughed at the Dennis boxing and Daniels/Pearlman love scene going back and forth. It reminded me of the Naked Gun with trains going through tunnels, etc. Though I could have done without the Daniels asscrack shot.

Was that the body of Johnny that Rawls found? It looked like him.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

The woman McNulty visited in the last episode, was the cop on the docks last season and it was nice to see he was there for more than a one-night stand. My wife and I agreed that this season resolved more things at the end of the season than in previous seasons.

This has been one of oour favorite TV shows. The writers have done a great job in developing the characters to where you know everything about them.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Damn shame what happened to Colvin though. He was by far the most noble of all the characters and got totally F.U.B.A.R.(ed) career-wise for his efforts. In retrospect, he should've taken the early retirement and took that primo security gig and said to hell with all the byzantine politics and backstabbing that made up Baltimore's power structure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks