What's new

THE WIRE season 3 (ongoing thread) (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I'll bet we never know, and I think that's part of the point of a scene like that -- in a street gun battle, with adrenaline and confusion and shots fired wildly by amateurs, it's very hard to know just who shot whom. Hell, I'll be shocked if Moreland ever figures out that Tosha wasn't just a bystander.

M.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
What game was the councilman and the guy in his office playing? All I saw was them holding up folded bills and saying numbers.

Also the week before, what were Herc and Carver talking about the whole episode? Had to have something to do with celebrities they'd have sex with, but what were the details?

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i love the wire. great series and i am really enjoying this season. i can't wait for everything to go down. the slow lead up with great character development and eventual tumbling of the blocks with realistic consequences are what make this show so good every season.

can't wait for next week. looks like the blocks are about to come tumbling down.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
You could have any two celebrity women as sex slaves for life, the catch was you had to have sex once with a celebrity man, also of your choosing. The 'trap' was, whatever man you chose, that'd be all the crew talked about from then on.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So is anyone still watching?

The scene in in last night's episode, "Back Burners", where the task force stumbles onto "Bunny" Colvin's grand experiment in Hamsterdam was a great moment in the series. All of the tensions and conflicting emotions about enforcing the drug laws came spilling out.

The scene between McNulty and Daniels was chilling. McNulty really doesn't give a damn what bridges he's burned. He's headed either back to the boat or off the force altogether.

Idris Elba continues to do some of the finest work on TV as Stringer Bell. The fine line he walks between sophisticated businessman and unreformed street thug is breathtaking. The series seems to be setting up a confrontation between Stringer and Avon, which, if history is any guide, means that it's really heading toward something else altogether.

M.

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
man this is getting so good. while i was proud of dennis/cutty, i was disappointed in the writing for his character this episode. the scene with the kids in hamsterdam was so jaw dropping. cant wait for next episode. cant wait for brianna to tear into stringer's ass. and the way he acted with donnette was so telling of his character and hers because she is too stupid to figure out that he is hiding something. and why has it been a week before brianna said something to avon about deangelo.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i figure that the confrontation between avon and stringer will come to pass, and i'm not too optimistic about stringer's fate.

jeesh, even bubs was definitely scared about the things he was seeing in amsterdam.

generally, i like mcnulty, but these past couple episodes he's been a real prick. could this be a way to worte dominic west out of the series, if he's on to more and bigger things?

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
i never did like mcnutty. and i dont like what they are doing with bubb's character. like he's a self righteous druggie. i am all for him getting clean. but first him and now cutty. is this what the "mission accomplished" is? seems to me that stringer is going to get got and avon will go back to jail. stringer is so damn calculating. and i love this show. hopefully the dvd will be ready sooner than season 1 took to come out. when is the re-run marathon?

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that (pure speculation, so don't blame me if it turns out true :) )the city councilman is getting money from Stringer's real estate operation? Last week, his campaign assistant was telling him that he needed a lot of money to run for mayor, and he gave her a knowing look. Maybe he's selling building permits, figuring it's all right to be in bed with real estate agents, as long as it'll help him fight violent crime on the streets, not realising that they're all being done by the same people.

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
naw. i dont think so. i think he is straight legit right now. davis is the one that is doing the selling. carcetti really cares about the city. this will be so fun to watch. i am itching for sunday to come.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
This is the best year yet. How does this show keep getting better? The last two seasons took a while to establish themselves, but this season has been great from the first episode. The slowly brewing Bell/Barksdale conflict could be the best story arc that I've ever seen on TV. Probably the only show that had me this invested was the first season of Murder One.

Chris

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!!!

tonight's episode was off the hook. for some reason, i think avon will let it slide that string had d murdered, but brianna will put a hurting on string. avon was curled up like a lil bitch on the floor. seems string knew something was gonna happen. he got that gun quick.

cant wait til next week. whew!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's interesting how the criminals get all the respect and attention from viewers. You know who I find the most "formidable" character on The Wire this season? It's one of the cops: Major "Bunny" Colvin.

Here's a guy who's so close to retirement with a full pension that he could easily sit back and relax. Instead, he's put himself into what has to be the most uncomfortable position in the Baltimore police department for the sole purpose of trying to do some good before he leaves. His own cops are on the verge of rebelling against him; his bosses are sniffing around his statistics, because they know that something must be up; and he's just a traffic stop away from having his entire "Hamsterdam" experiment become a public scandal (as nearly happened last week when the Task Force pulled over one of the dealers). And with all that pressure, the guy somehow manages to stand there serenely, even when he's being grilled by that SOB Rawls.

Now that's some intestinal fortitude.

Like almost everyone else who tries to do the right thing on this show, Colvin probably won't end up in a good place. Nothing so trite as a stray bullet on his last day on the job, but something bad is coming down the pike.

M.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I thought String was going to wack Avon. He ran B&B's street enterprise alot better than Avon did when he was away. Avon's right, he's a gangster and String is a businessman.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Avon was curled up on the floor because he just got shot and has fresh stitches. Avon is a golden gloves boxer and a gangster, he would kick Strings @ss if healthy.

Marlo is a bad mutha, very, very smart.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
"Slapstick": another great episode, full of surprises. Prez is a disaster every time he tries to do something other than work at a desk.

McNulty's long speech about why most of the police force isn't the real thing was a perfect summation of what makes McNulty an interesting character and a failure as a human being. Freamon sees him for what he is. And did anyone notice that one of the names prominently featured in McNulty's list of true cops was The Wire's co-creator Ed Burns? :)

I don't know how it will play out, but the Barksdale way of doing things is over. I wouldn't be surprised if both Stringer and Avon become victims of the coalition that Stringer assembled. Stringer's dream of legitimacy certainly isn't panning out; he's learning what Michael Corleone discovered -- the higher you rise in society, the bigger the crooks.

M.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
This just keeps getting better and better. I had a hard time getting into season 2 but this season has me waiting for 9p Sunday to roll around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks