What's new

THE WIRE season 3 (ongoing thread) (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
"The Game Remains the Same" Season Opener 9/19

ROBERT’S RULES OF ORDER: “Yo, it’s not yer turn” Hah!

This show’s richly layered script (novelistic, as today’s New York Time arts article describes) shows us again that no episode will be easy to watch, or follow.

At the minimum, I find that trying to discern street patois might keep me from seeing some visual detail (like what's goin' down in that darkened alley where the ex-con gets rebuffed by the young blood.)

Then viewers bring naïve disbelief in plot development: Baltimore city politics can’t be THAT Byzantine, can it? As for characters, will slivers of corruption fester just below the surface in our fav cops?

Tune in next week.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Yes, on both HBO and sister channels. Check the schedule on HBO.com.

I had to laugh at the "previously" recap for the past two seasons. I don't think I would have had a clue if I hadn't actually seen the previous episodes.

At the strategic meetings of police brass, did anyone else notice Major Valchek sitting in the group? (I think he had one line.) A nice little reminder of last season's principal arc.

Stringer Bell using Robert's Rules was hilarious.

Future episodes were scripted by Richard Price and Dennis Lehane. Can't wait!

M.

NOTE: Thread title has been edited. As with previous seasons, we'll have a single ongoing thread.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I liked the scene where the street kid was trying to sell drugs to the police officer.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
This show is so good, but I feel sorry for anyone who starts watching this season.

So, did brother Mulzone die or do we know that yet?

What happened to Nick Sobatka, or will they just leave that whole story line hanging?

Man, I don't understand why HBO doesn't shoot this show in high defintion. That's my only complaint.

James St

Supporting Actor
Missed it at 9PM and ended up catching the west coast feed at midnight. So this is being shown in upconverted 4:3 SD like with the previous seasons on HD HBO? WTF?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

That storyline was also wrapped up last season. Nick was offered the same deal his uncle got: suspended sentence in exchange for testimony. The cops picked up his girlfriend and daughter, and the last we saw of them was in a motel room in protective custody. Of course, by the end of the season, it was clear that there was no one for Nick to testify against; so he probably got relocated somewhere and is already on to his next smalltime hustle.

M.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I agree with that. I have been watching since the show started in Season 1 and I still get confused about characters.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i got the impression from last season's ending that nick wasn't gonna go into witness protection. he got up, "gotta go to work" and went on about his day just as he normally would. it just seemed that without the docks, his job, and his family and friends, and then being stuck in that motel, he just didn't feel that was any kind of life to be living. that he'd take his chances being what he was.

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
nah, brother mozoune is after stringer. tonight is gonna be so good. did anyone catch the screen when mcnutty :) pulled up d's records? cant wait!

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
It looks like they're going to catch up the truth about D's death. It definitely adds a wrinkle with Avon getting out of the pen.

Nice to see Omar back in the biz. I do not think Mouzone holds Omar responsible. I think Brother has an inkling about Stringer's involvment and may show up at some point to settle accounts.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Definitely the funniest episode of this series. I was laughing so hard when they were interregating the one guy about "which dawg" he had killed. That is the way the closed captioning spelled the word.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i got a huge kick out of bodie and poot showing up herc and carv in front of their dates at the cineplex.

"herc and carv are always after us every day, 'where's the stuff, who's got the stuff?'. but we don't give 'em crap. see you tomorrow?"

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Episode 3, "Dead Soldiers", scripted by Dennis Lahane.

Has any cop show ever been so knowing about the bureaucracy of law enforcement? It's always been part of the show, but this season it's emerging as a major theme. Which isn't to say that the show neglects the details of character. Did anyone else notice how McNulty became fiercely attentive when he heard Pearlman, the prosecutor, refer to Lt. Daniels as "Cedric"? :D

Major "Bunny" Colvin is fast becoming one of the season's most interesting characters. In a conventional police drama, all those references to his impending retirement would be a sure tipoff that his life's in peril, but in this series, anything's possible.

M.

Lee L

Supporting Actor

I know. My wife and I are so conditioned to this we both thought for sure he would get offed in the first episode when he went out for a drive right after talking about having only 6 months left.

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
all i want to know is did dante shoot tosha? this has been the subject of debate all day yesterday. lehane seems to hint that dante shot over his shoulder and shot her in the head. others say that's an exit wound and she was shot from behing. but it clearly looks like an entrance in her forehead and she was facing dante and he shot her. whether it was an accident or not, we dont know. but it's gonna be hell if he did indeed shoot her and omar finds out. whew!

also, why do people keep calling donnetta d's widow? were they married? did anyone catch the ring on freamon's finger? did he and shardene get married? good grief there are so many details to this show you have to watch over and over again to catch everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks