What's new

The Wire, Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
pissing off a Major over stained glass in a church seems to be what will really be moving this case forward.
I figure that the Major will give McNaulty a chance to get off the boat, if he can pin something on the longshoremen.

I agree with those who have mentioned the Garrison Keillor in the background as a great touch.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
i don't think so, as the senator attends the same greek orthodox church as sobotka and the police major. besides, wasn't avon's connection just a city councilman, or baltimore state legislature?
I thought the driver who got arrested with $20,000 in cash outside of the terraces last season was a driver for a State Senator.

I think the Senator in refered to int he chuch is also a state senator, seen as how unless it was a senator from Maryland could a US Senator get federal dollars for the dredging project.

-- Matt

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I must have missed the season finale of Season 1. I watched season 1 during the recent replays, and on the night that I thought the finale was, they had 2 episodes back to back, and I thought the 2nd one was the finale. I guess not, because I don't remember seeing any sentancing scenes, and I don't remember seeing McNulty assigned to the waterfront. :frowning:

Brian

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Brian,
HBO a few weeks ago had two back to back and then the finale last week, which I think was to keep on the June 1 day for Season 2 because earlier in the summer they had a movie premiere on Sunday night that bumped the Wire.

If I was not doing weekly cleaning up on the Tivo, I would have missed it.

-- Matt

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
What does evryone think of the new theme song? Same words but different singer, or at least style. I like the original better but this one fits also.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I guess the current theme is the original recording, and last seasons was a cover of it. I like it, but to be honost, I usually skip over it because I am no anxious to see the episode.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I thought Sunday's premiere was great. It set up the new characters and established where the hold-overs from Season 1 had gotten on to.

I'm really looking forward to the next installment.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Episode 2: Collateral Damage

"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out" -- McNulty

Where to start.

With some crafty dectective work, the "worlds most swollen asshole", Jimmy McNaulty got the 14 Jane Doe's pinned on Col. Rawls division. That 51.3% clearence rate may dip...

We learn, I guess, at the end that 'The Greek' wanted the women as prostitutes as early speculated that were to garner him $4,000,000. This already is not sitting well with him, but why were the girls murdered remains a mystery.

D'Angelo is going down a path I do not think he wants to take. If anything the Barksdales were pragmatic when it came to drugs, and D' sniffing coke is bound not to sit well with his Uncle who is in as much control of the prison as he was the terrace it seems.

Valcheck, if anything, is a hell of a lot better at the political game then Daniels, McNaulty, et al were last season. He already has the approval from Burrell, a budding force, and a bone to pick. Which combined a pretty dangerous. Seeing how McNaulty and crew getting linked up with this will be interesting. Are they? Who knows. Daniels seems to be set on leaving, but will another opportunity come along to get the blood flowing?

I think the IBS crew is lacking the charisma of the Barksdales so far, but I might be early in this judgement. So far we have not gotten to know the Wallace's or the Bubbs, or D'Angelos, or the Proposition Joes, or Omar. Hopefully they will come out.

Not to jump ahead to next week, but in the preview it did look like the IBS lobbyist was speaking with the same State Senator that had the driver running money out of the terraces last season. This might be a connection that I predicted last week b/w Barksdale and the Longshoremen.

We'll see.

Overall, a good episode, good setup. The particulars are getting in place.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Good recap Matt. The only thing is that it seemd to me that the crew or one member hammered the air pipe shut because the other girls had seen the murder of the one found in the river. Also, the intro is making more and more sense. I guess they eventually find some ID's for the girls since they are showing Russian passports.

This show is really good, it was good to see Freamon and D'Angelo finally. Looks like they have found a place for almost everyone from the original season.

Hey, I also saw that they will be running the first 3 shows this season on Friday June 20. Should be a good catchup for people who missed the premier. I can't imagine trying to come in on EP 3 or 4 and understanding what is going on.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I really like the way they take their time setting things up (In the first season and from the looks of it this season). The way they completely broke up the team at the end of the season is a welcome change from the standard cop TV fare. It will be interesting to see how each character fits into this season.

It looks like Omar will be in the next episode from the preview.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Yep, Omar is back.

I love this show so much some times it's not even funny. Half way through I checked my TiVo to see how much Wire I had left to watch and I was like yeah, 30 minutes left, and than bam, before I knew the ending song was coming on.

It doesn't seem the Barksdale crew is roughing it too much in prison, not that it's a surprise. Avon getting KFC and Wee-bay has a thing for fish, and they pretty much do what they want. That one guard better straighten up or something will happen to him or his family. I don't know how big of a plot the Barksdale crew will have this year but they have my attention every time one of them is on the screen.

I do agree that the Longshoreman don't have the same charisma as the Barksdale crew, but they are not hardcore criminals like them Tower boys and I think that is the thing. Sobotka looks like a gangster George Costanza. I can't believe Sobotka wants to have a war against Lieutenant(?), the DWI check point was nice touch.

Presbaloski(sp?) is heading his father-in-laws crusade against Sobotka and will get paired up with Bunk and Freeman soon enough. I'm sure Daniels will be one also, along with Greggs and maybe Heckle and Jekyll. I thought that one cop was a Sgt., why would he be writing parking tickets? It's kind of like last year, Burrell is giving Volcheck(sp?) six guys to run the case.

Also, the 3 Dock cops are going to experience some serious detective work with the help of McNutty. I never really thought cops would be that into their clearance percentage, I never looked at it that way. Rawls clears 14 J. Doe's his clearance will rise to above 60%, solve one you solve them all.

It would be hard to come in during the 3rd or 4th episode, you could get caught up but you would still be missing the little things. Great show.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I forgot all about Omar, what a great character, he is my wife's favorite.

As far as their clearance %, I would guess being a captain in a large city PD is not much different that being a mid/upper level manager in a large corporation, it is all abount sending numbers to and justifying them to the next guy up, so he can do the same to the guy above him...

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Also, the 3 Dock cops are going to experience some serious detective work with the help of McNutty. I never really thought cops would be that into their clearance percentage, I never looked at it that way. Rawls clears 14 J. Doe's his clearance will rise to above 60%, solve one you solve them all.
While I agree with you, I also can see Rawls point too. 14 bodies, no motive, no evidence, all he has is a pipe that is smashed shut. He does not even know about Valcheck and how he is going to be applying pressure to the docks and probably putting them under watch.

Speaking of the team Valcheck put together, wasn't one of them a retread from last season whom Daniels gave the ultimatium to about drinking?

I don't think Sabotka cares about messing with Valcheck, he see's him as a kid from the block who he is better than. He has no respect for his family nor uniform. Something deeper than a stained glass window.

I love Wee-Bay and his affinity for fish. A stone cold killer with a basement full of fish, and gets pissed when the guard knocks over his little motorized fishies.

Omar... enough said.

Can't wait for next Sunday.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
THANKS A LOT! Now I know why I dont watch the previews. I want YOU to spoil it for me!
Next weeks preview was mentioned in another post as well. Sorry if I spoiled it for YOU. Maybe YOU shouldn't read a thread titled The Wire, Season 2 if YOU don't want to read posts about The Wire, Season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks