1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Wire, Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Matt Pasant, May 28, 2003.

1. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

2. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Great show!

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Oh yeah, I am very excited. I don't think it will measure up to Season 1 b/c IMO that was the greatest single season I have ever seen of a show, but as long as the writing is good and the acting is what I now expect Season 2 should be pretty damn good.

I want to know how Daniels gets back involved with this case and how much time has elapsed b/c Greggs is back on the beat.

I think the Barksdale plot will probably pretty small but who knows.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Looking forward to this.

5. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i've been singing the praises of this show to everyone i know, on other message boards and whatnot, because thhe first season was maybe the most satisfying, well written and produced series i've ever seen on tv. i was actually sad when the first season was over and the fourth season of the sopranos was aired in its time slot; i wanted to see more of the wire.

like jeremiah said, i am expecting this second season to be a bit of a letdown because it really will be tough to top that first season. plus, i'm sure we won't be seeing a lot of the characters from the first season, as the emphasis will turn from the drug trade of the projects to the waterfront, and i'll miss them. but as long as the writing and acting remains topnotch, it's gonna be a great summer of hbo.

can't wait for sunday night.

6. PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist Supporting Actor

The Wire made my Homicide withdrawl almost go away. In referring The Wire to friends, I said it was Homicide without the metaphysics. It is currently the best cop show on TV, nothing can touch it. NYPD Blue is broken down and has been for years, and I don't consider any of the 65 versions of Law and Order "cop shows". The episode where McNulty and Bunk redo the murder scene of one of Avon's girls and only use the "F" word is as creative and entertaining as many memorable Homicide moments. Boomtown, while technically a cop show, qualifies as more of show with characters that happen to be cops, and I like Boomtown a whole lot. But give me The Wire anytime, and hopefully on DVD and in HD before long.

7. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

The first season I was so impressed at how complicated the dealers were and how much great police work the cops did. The codes for the re-ups, the amount of re-ups and the person paging codes were awesome, not to mention the jumping over the 5 on the phone. Plus they built that case from practicaly nothing, besides McNutty, nobody even heard of Barksdale, not to mention there wasn't even a picture of the guy.

8. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

9. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

after watching the first season on re-reuns these past few months, i noticed a lot of nice dialogue that kept showing up at later points in the series. mcnulty's question for everything, when he inadvertantly starts some course of action going, whether it be the drug case, or problems in his love life was always "what the f*** did i do?", said in a way that shows he really doesn't get what effect his actions have.

"nicely done" was what mcnulty said to stringer, after d'angelo beat the murder rap in the very first episode. also said to the crew's lawyer after savino takes the heat for gregg's being shot, i think, and stringer just about closes the series saying it right back to mcnulty when many of the drug crew are sentenced to jail terms.

the thing that struck me as so profound about this series was at the end, despite months of police work, and many of the drug crew sent to jail, everything ended up pretty much as they began. the players changed, but the game continued on.

10. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

11. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I agree with both your posts Matt and you to Robert.

I was thinking that McNutty was also pissed that the case was brought down before it's time from political pressure, because if they were not shut down they could of brought down everyone in the Towers. Not that it would of ended as you guys have said, someone would just be there to take over.

I was surprised that D got so much time, 20 years is a big sentence but with priors you get nailed, Avon with 7 is nothing, and Sorvino with 3 is even less, I loved Wee Bay for some reason and him confessing to the murders was great.

Liked everyone of the characters in the show. Even Rowles(sp?) was ok, just from his talk with McNutty after Greggs was shot.

12. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

13. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

well i think rawls threw him for a loop on that one. freamon told him, "when they ask you where you want to go, just sit there and don't say anything". cause freamon was asked where he wanted to go, and he told them "anywhere i can be doing police work, i don't wanna mess with no paperwork". and he got put exactly where he didn't want to be, catalogueing stuff at the pawn unit.

so rawls tells mcnulty "i want to see you land ok. where don't you want to go?" so mcnulty figures if he tells them where he doesn't want to go, say maybe street duty, or robbery or something, he'll end up there. but rawls screws him and puts him on the boat anyway. maybe because the fat sergeant, jay, was there when mcnulty was telling bunk how much he hated the boat. maybe jay told rawls.

14. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

Episode 1: Ebb Tide

So we begin with Jimmy on the boat, Pryzblyewski pleaing to work cases, Greggs saddled to a desk, Daniels working evidence, and Bodie making a Philly run listening to Garrison Keillor.

Enter the docks...

Jobs it seems are few and far between, Unions are bickering on which projects they need funded to create jobs. Frank Sobotka seems to be our early antagonist. Or is he a D'Angelo Barksdale who reports to "The Greek"?

Life in the Barksdale family isn't lovely either. Seems the stash is low, re-ups are not getting filled, and they may be losing there control slowly.

It seems this season the case will be in the Port. 14 dead bodies in one area is a bad thing, but pissing off a Major over stained glass in a church seems to be what will really be moving this case forward.

Overall, a good episode. Still like the last seasons 1st episode you are a little lost, but in time it will all come clear again..

Looking forward to next week.

-- Matt

15. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

16. Marty M

Marty M Screenwriter

I started watching the first season at about the 3rd show. It took me a while to get all the figured out, but once I did I didn't miss another episode. It looks like season #2 will just as good as the first. This will help me get over my Six Feet Under withdrawal.

17. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I thought it was a great start to what looks to be a great year. I am excited and agree that the writers have a good pace for the first episode.

McNutty is already sticking it to Rawls and this is a nice way of getting many of the players back together.

Daniels got the shaft in a major way.

Prezbuluski really got a taste of real police work and wants focus on narcotics but his father-in-law is not having that. Bummer right now anyway.

Greggs will be back on the beat real soon.

The guy from the Towers listening to that radio sation was too funny.

I do not like Ziggy at all, how someone can be that big a a freaking idiot I have no idea.

18. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

very much like the first episode of the first season. a lot of characters introduced briefly, not really enough time to get to know who, what, or where, but we'll learn more about each of them as the story unfolds. casual pacing, nothing really much happens until right at the end and the discovery of the dead girls in the container.

but everything else is right there. terrific dialogue, great settings and atmosphere, a story that is just gonna suck you in as it unfolds. how they get the old team all back working together is gonna be fun to see. loved seeing prez begging to do real police work, stuff that can make a difference and test his intellect instead of just floating through the job.

so what do we have here? russian girls being smuggled in as wives for american men? prostitutes? 13 dead in the container, and another one floating in the harbor, murdered. i have a feeling the party boat, full of political types, will play a role in this before it's all over.

19. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

20. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i don't think so, as the senator attends the same greek orthodox church as sobotka and the police major.

besides, wasn't avon's connection just a city councilman, or baltimore state legislature?