Real Name
Dennis
"If I had my way, I'd go in there with a couple of Winchesters....."
rrrh1140l.gif

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It just isn't fair, Jack has already watched The Wind and the Lion on dvd, while us lesser mortals have to wait for the 'official' release in two weeks!

The Windy Lion stars Sean Connery, you may remember him as testy posterboy Zed from the 1974 film Zardoz, Zed's made so many appearances in testy that I think it's time we made him an honorary member.

Steveo stand back and let Flufferdoodle enact the grapes of wrath.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did somebody mention Zed?!?!
seangun.jpg

I was wondering where you guys all were!!! How come I didn't know we were having a group discussion about the Grapes of Wrath?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The gangs all here, all we need now is gazonga babes and some Python quotes and we'll be right at home.;)
Grapes of Wrath? Hmmm I saw the Apes of Wrath a while back, wasn't impressed.
Mike I think Parker ought to add Zed's pic to the HTF Home Page, he's family now.:laugh:

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
The gangs all here, all we need now is gazonga babes and some Python quotes and we'll be right at home.
OK...let's get started with the assimilation of this thread... :D
"Sir, I need your liver"
"And what are you doing this morning?
It's a birth.
Ah! And what sort of thing is that?
Well, that's where we take a new baby out of a lady's tummy.
Wonderful what we can do nowdays!"
"Is there something YOU'D all rather be doing than marching about the square? You'd all rather be at the pictures, I suppose!"
marisa5.jpg
V234002.jpg

:D :D :D
Now that we got some Monty Python Quotes and Gazonga Babes, all we need is out mascot, Nuts the Squirrel! ;)
I wonder if THE TED will show up here and use some caps! ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Is this a testy invasion? What's going on here? I am shocked.

But I've looked at the DVD, and will screen it again this afternoon, and review all the extras (including the commentary track). The review will be cranked out tomorrow, and it will be posted early next week (in time for the two-week prerelease window).

I will say only this: I don't think fans of this film will be disappointed (except it has these black bars at the top and the bottom).

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I think it might wind up being an invasion. General Christou, do you have any input on this situation?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They way Dennis & Jack are raving about this movie, this might be a blind buy for me. Haven't seen The Man Who Would Be King except in its initial theatrical run. I was quite young but remember Caine & Connery quite vividly.
Off to do an IMDB search to see just how young I was.....
Hmmmm. 1975. Count me as 16! :D I DO remember enjoying myself at that flick!
Re: Wind & the Lion -- Brian Keith as Teddy Roosevelt?

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I was -11 years old when that movie came out! Hell, I probably wasn't even a sperm yet! ;)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Brian Keith as Teddy Roosevelt is one of the best parts of the film. He simply nails the role. Keith's Roosevelt is as much a classic as George C. Scott's Patton. I can't imagine anyone else in that role.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I don't think fans of this film will be disappointed (except it has these black bars at the top and the bottom).
Black bars again? Damn! When will they sort this problem out? I bought a widescreen tv to get rid of those pesky black bars and still they turn up! ;)
Jack I once had a copy of 2001 with a moving star background in the black bars, what a travesty that was! The BBC have been apologising ever since!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keith's Roosevelt is as much a classic as George C. Scott's Patton.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Hyperbole?!?! From Dennis? Can't be!!! Must be true. True? Wow!
Patton (1970) Best Picture: Scott won "Best Actor" awards from the Oscars, Golden Globes, British Academy of Film & TV Arts, Laurels, National Board of Review, National Society of Film Critics, & NY Film Critics.
Dennis: are you pulling my leg???
Here's a publicity still from the Wind & the Lion. You'll see Keith in his Roosevelt costume. That's Sean Connery in some very British non-Zardoz garb in the upper left. And that's, of course, Candice Bergen with her hand on Keith's left shoulder.
family.gif

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Is this thread still called Wind and the Lion? I thought it'd be renamed 'Windy' by now.:D Nice pic Mike, um who are those people?
Did you know...
Wind and the Lion was censored in the UK, horses being tripped are taboo over here, heads being lopped orf are not [my grammar ist goot no?].

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve: They are Brian Keith (center) and the rest of the cast of a 1960s U.S. TV show called Family Affair. The guy with the beard and the bowler is Sebastian Cabot. Cabot was a native of London. Among other things he narrated the Winnie the Pooh Disney cartoons. He also did voices in Sword in the Stone (Sir Ector) and Jungle Book (Bagheera).

I am dreading the fact that we all seemed to have derailed this thread. Fun is fun but the Testy element definitely seems to have overtaken things and ground them to a halt.

I was really hoping to hear a bit more from Dennis & Jack about the film and especially Dennis on Brian Keith's performance as TR. I remember an American comedian named John Byner (a regular on the old Ed Sullivan show) who used to do an impersonation of Brian Keith. It consisted solely of rubbing his hand with his face during especially-dramatic moments--that is, along the lines of the William Shatner school of acting. I am curious that, according to Dennis, Keith seemed to bring his A-game to TWATL.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I would say Dennis was making a hyperbole-free statement in saying that Keith "nails" the role of Theodore Roosevelt. I remember being skeptical myself back in the summer of '75. Then I emerged from the theater with my buddies, yammering that this was, and I quote, "the best goddamned movie I've seen all year long." It's a true adventure film, which is a point I will be expanding on the review I have to start writing within the next hour or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks