What's new

The White Van Man had commeth (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Mark LS

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Charles JP...

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused... I basically felt a reply was in order (from my perspective) after being alerted to... and subsequently reading a few posts by Matt Jesty...

If I have misinterpreted any of this... I apologize... but I felt the data I saw in two threads warranted a strongly worded reply...

We'll see what happens next...

All the best...

mls

Please see 2nd. below for my reference...

Wow, I'm not sure what happened here, what with all the thread merging. I dont think anyone was making fun of direct-order speaker manufacturers, but rather the fact that the white van guys have a website. I'm no sure if there was a big misunderstanding or what. I really dont think anyone is making fun of the products sold at AV123.com I'm really confused.

IMAGINE, they have a website now!
direct to you to avoid those ridiculous dealer mark-ups !
The manufacturing of these high quality speakers are done in china so you are assured of a great price!
You don't need to hear them just look at all these reviews by people you don't know!
Sound better that the B&W's that cost 3 times as much!

IraSWeiss

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a link to the Website for the speakers I mentioned yesterday. When you look at dealers you will notice only a telephone number for each city, no dealer name or address or other contact information. What do you think?
Dahlton Loudspeakers

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Well the Dahlton Loudspeakers web site is owned by:
KELfi Distributors, Inc.
P.O. Box 37
Apex, NC 27502
US
KELfi Distributors, Inc.
Web Site Communications, Inc.
P.O. Box 37
Apex, NC 27502
US
919-462-9870
[email protected]
And the Dogg Digital Inc.
Dogg Digital Inc.
2120 E. Howell Ave Ste 601
Anaheim, CA 92806
US
714-813-4530

Matt Lopp

Agent
Which, you will notice is not what I said in my post. I was referring only to people who buy thinking that they are getting a great deal on a stolen product or because the installers are "ripping off" their boss by only installing 4 pair of speakers in the club and selling the 5th pair to some "lucky" guy. The stories vary, but I have heard too many stories that involve the speakers being obtained in a shady manner. If you buy them anyway, then like I said... instant karma.
Yeah, ya got a bit of a point. However, the karma thing has a bit of a flaw. In particular, the flaw is based on the whole reason for entrapment laws. The reason being the coercing of a normally law abiding citizen to take an action that the citizen wouldn't take if it wasn't for the situation being artificially constructed.
In the present scenario, the predatory seller keeps pushing a law abiding person until the person is presented with a deal too good to pass up. The seller's high pressure sales tactics are based on badgering and forcing a buyer to quickly decide. The buyer succumbs because the buyer doesn't have a chance to rationally think about the purchase.
In this situation, it's hard for me to not have sympathy for the buyer, but then again, I'm biased. ;)
It's easier for us to fault the buyer when we ourselves wouldn't succumb to such a tactic. We know what decent speakers are, we can afford the decent speakers, and most of us are too savvy to succumb. Just because the typical buyer isn't as knowledgeable, as rich, or as savvy dosn't mean the buyer is more culpable.
Eh. I rant.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Don't think it's been mentioned, but many of the white van scams are actual businesses. It's legal im most places.

The speakers are specifically manufactured for them to sell out of vans...

Wacky eh?

Sean

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
Wow , I just did a forum search for "DoggDigital" for a friend of mine who wanted to know if I wanted in on a deal that was too good to pass up...........I am glad I didn't get sucked into speakers I had never personally heard. I found their website.What kind of suckers must people be to buy an AUDIO PRODUCT they have never HEARD! I am glad I found hometheaterforum, you kept me from getting sucked into that no name , off shore ,low end JUNK...........................Thank you ,
Jeff

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Don't think it's been mentioned, but many of the white van scams are actual businesses. It's legal im most places.
That's why they can fly under the radar and not get caught as theives. The best you could do if you got suckered into buying these types of speakers is call your local Better Business Bureau.
But even they wouldn't be able to help you.

As far as I know, it is not illegal to sell speakers anywhere. As long as their not stolen goods (they're not).

They might need a peddlar's license in some towns but thats just a small fine.

Terry St

Second Unit
Dogg Digital's site seems to stress in several places that the warranty is only good if you got the speakers from a real retail outlet with the registration card in the box. I have a funny feeling the speakers coming out of those white vans are not on warranty. I doubt Dogg Digital even prints any of those registration cards. =P

When people realize they've been fleeced what can they do? Patrol the streets for white vans? My gut instinct is that this sort of thing breaks several laws, but I can't quite put my finger on them.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I know most stores have a policy to generally not allow selling or panhandling on their premises without some form of consent. I also wonder if some of these individuals might require some form of licensing or registration to sell these speakers in the area of sale (some cross state lines so the distributor might not be licensed in the adjacent state as well).

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
Without knowing any better because they may have heard only a few other speakers, I wonder how many people are quite happy with the way they sound in their home.

Users who are viewing this thread