What's new

The Walking Dead - Season Two (2 Viewers)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
joshEH said:
...And SCORE Glenn! But please, use a condom, ...
Why? It would be a good assumption that the epidemic was worldwide and not just domestically. I'd think repopulation should be a true concern (as evidenced by the vet's eulogy).
And when Glen was searching the feminine hygiene aisle it became pretty clear to me what Lori wanted, and what the result was going to be.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Is it just me, or are Shane and Rick trying to out-rasp each other? I couldn't make out the final half of Shane's monologue.
I'm sure Kiefer Sutherland didn't invent it but ever since 24, that 'intense whisper' seems to be a pretty common acting choice when a character is in an extreme situation. I think it works but it's really become a cliche.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
On the positive side, after watching this episode, I'm starting to pick up some things about the farm:
For instance, the look on the the farm-woman's face when T-Dawg bashed that zombie's head in was quite interesting -- it didn't come across as being squeemish, but more of a reaction of disgust. That, when coupled with the "no-guns" thing and the barn...my piss-poor Spidey-Senses are tingling. There feels to be a lot more going on here than there initially seems.
And anyone who's read the comics knows the significance of the several sustained camera-shots on
the barn
last night, and what's likely gonna happen soon.
TravisR said:
I'm sure Kiefer Sutherland didn't invent it but ever since 24, that 'intense whisper' seems to be a pretty common acting choice when a character is in an extreme situation. I think it works but it's really become a cliche.
Speaking of actor-voices, another reason I couldn't make out much of what Shane was saying because his "southern" accent was particularly impenetrable this episode. Now I know how people who have never been to Glasgow feel when trying to understand Tommy Flanagan on Sons of Anarchy.
(As far as Shane and Rick trying to outdo each other, Bernthal has really brought his hyperactive-facial-mannerisms and annoying-unnecessary-head-movements "A"-game this year. Hoping for good things from Lincoln in the next few weeks, though.)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
TravisR said:
I'm sure Kiefer Sutherland didn't invent it but ever since 24, that 'intense whisper' seems to be a pretty common acting choice when a character is in an extreme situation.
I thought Clint Eastwood invented (and perfected) it. :)
I'm enjoying this series, but some of the whiny women need to get eaten soon! ;) Am tempted to read the comic... Just a couple'a Amazon clicks away...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /t/315396/the-walking-dead-season-two/60#post_3865937
I agree. Power, hot water, not too many zombies around. At least they are willing to help.
Having seen episode 3 "Save the Last One" I was leaning more towards "genuinely helpful", but with a pinch of unease.

Had a feeling that the sacrifice Shane would make would be with the deer hunter at the school. Graphic stuff towards the end of the episode, but that bit reminded me of something in Day of the Dead (1985), but done with some humour.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
KevinGress said:
Why? It would be a good assumption that the epidemic was worldwide and not just domestically. I'd think repopulation should be a true concern (as evidenced by the vet's eulogy).
Repopulation is a definite long term concern -- if anything, it's the main argument for sticking around and continuing the hunt for Sophia, other than simple human decency -- but in the short term, hauling a baby around presents a distinct survivor disadvantage. A baby brings all of the problems it would bring now -- the exhaustion, the stress, feeding, diaper changing, etc. -- but all is a defenseless, totally dependent blob that has to be hauled around through crazy desperate situations and cared for even when supplies are short.
It seems to me the smart move would be to use condoms now, and then repopulate once you've created a settlement behind some tall-thick walls.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/315396/the-walking-dead-season-two/90#post_3868277
Only three more episodes to go, and then you got to wait for Feb.
So what do you think the mid-season cliff hanger will be?

The folks on the farm seem nice, but I do get a creepy vibe. If I were the locals, I would have cleared out the pharmacy a long time ago. Shelves would have been bare. The take what you need sign threw me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I didnt know they were splitting the season.

I guess thats both good and bad. Good because I dont watch much TV and itll give me something to watch during the winter, and bad because, of course, we'll have to wait a few months to see it continue.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
So what do you think the mid-season cliff hanger will be?
My guess is that the overarching plot for season 2A is the search for Sophia, so we should know what happened to her, one way or another, by episode 7. If I had to guess as to the cliff hanger, I'd bet something happens that ruins the farm as a safe haven and forces them back on the road.
>The folks on the farm seem nice, but I do get a creepy vibe.
All I know is, if I'd experienced the hell these people have experienced and came across an idyllic setting like the farm and my host's only two rules were to not ask too many questions and to stay away from the barn, I'd be keeping my mouth shut and staying the hell away from the barn. Whatever messed up stuff he's into can't be any worse than the zombie apocalypse.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
my piss-poor Spidey-Senses are tingling
You ain't kiddin - mine as well...
When they got back from the pharmacy run there was a weird "vibe" to me when the older father (sorry I don't know names) asked how everything went...like he was EXPECTING her to seduce him...almost like "do you get his seed?"... And her answer as well...And then how she pretty much told him it won't happen again? That was weird too...
That was kinda weird - go back and watch and you will see what I mean...

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I'm starting to think the whole "farm" family thing are really a bunch of psychotic zombie worshipers or something along those lines. It seems like they are maybe the mentally ill type of cults that would do sacrifices and think they have found a way of keeping the zombies away or some sort of deeper meaning for them. They certainly are not going to be normal by any means, they have been left alone and untouched for the most part by all of this going on? Also, the old guy keeps bringing up the religion factor which makes me wonder if he is a "false prophet" and just using God as a means for justifying his own agenda whatever that may be.
I know I would not feel comfortable there and know something was REALLY wrong by all the little signs and things they have said so far. If it were me, I would be passing the word around to my camp to get ready for a real fight not just from the zombies but an inside threat too as they are surrounded if things go bad.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Would be much easier to leave instead of fighting them. I know they're just probably waiting to find Sophia...

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Jeffery_H said:
Also, the old guy keeps bringing up the religion factor which makes me wonder if he is a "false prophet" and just using God as a means for justifying his own agenda whatever that may be.
I sincerely hope that's not the route they go with that. I am sick of Hollywood's penchant of showing anyone who talks openly about faith, particularly Christianity, is either mentally deranged or psychotic or just plain evil.
I take the 'family's' reaction, especially the patriarch's as being wary of outsiders and not wanting to have to change. Here they have as close as can be expected to a simple life. They don't have hordes (as of yet) of walkers, they know each other and now all of a sudden, a group of outsiders come in - use up resources (which are starting to get scarce), demanding (in the family's minds) that things be done differently to suit them, and who knows what their views and priorities are? I think given the situation, their wariness is understandable, and they've shown plenty of hospitality.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
KevinGress said:
I sincerely hope that's not the route they go with that. I am sick of Hollywood's penchant of showing anyone who talks openly about faith, particularly Christianity, is either mentally deranged or psychotic or just plain evil.
Yeah, I'm not a particularly religious person but I hate that too because it's been done so many times that it's beyond a cliche. If they follow the comics,
neither of us will be disappointed.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Maybe they are doing a Shaun of the Dead thing and have Nic Frost chained up in the barn. Would help explain the "no guns" thing. Maybe they feel the zombies are people too and killing them is a sin against God or just a basic "We leave them alone, they leave us alone".

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by MarkMel /t/315396/the-walking-dead-season-two/90#post_3868820
Would be much easier to leave instead of fighting them. I know they're just probably waiting to find Sophia...
The reason for their desire that the group leave soon may be due to their having captured Sofia who is hidden from view.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Garrett Adams said:
The reason for their desire that the group leave soon may be due to their having captured Sofia who is hidden from view.
That seems unlikely from what we have seen. First they would have had to lock Sofia away before the group just ran up to the house. That would take some serious planning. Second, the indication of the evidence that Daryl found at the house indicates she was there within the last two nights or so. That would not fit the necessary timeline. Third the doctor said that once they found Sofia they were expected to leave. He would know they would be there a long time if they had Sofia in the barn. He would have said something a bit more along the lines of "Please leave in the next three days whether you find her or not." Not saying this isn't the case but it would be very bad writing because it wouldn't fit the facts as presented.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
KevinGress said:
I take the 'family's' reaction, especially the patriarch's as being wary of outsiders and not wanting to have to change. Here they have as close as can be expected to a simple life. They don't have hordes (as of yet) of walkers, they know each other and now all of a sudden, a group of outsiders come in - use up resources (which are starting to get scarce), demanding (in the family's minds) that things be done differently to suit them, and who knows what their views and priorities are? I think given the situation, their wariness is understandable, and they've shown plenty of hospitality.
I fully agree with your statement about Christianity and how most idiots portray it in shows and movies. As a religious person myself, I find it very much a turn off when this happens and they would never do it to other groups out there. But, given how shows like this typically play out, I was making a guess about the hints they were dropping. Hopefully, it won't be something weird like that but then again this is a "zombie" show people are watching and weird fits the show's premise.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll say that Kirkman is an atheist, but he does try to portray religious folks with some respect. He's not always on target with it, but he tries harder than some would. Not to say that he has full control here, but I don't think every Christian will be a villain (Carl getting shot seemed to repudiate the idea of prayer, at least for Rick, but I'm pretty confident Carol's will be answered, with Soph alive and not chained up in the barn for some weird yokel Christian offshoot ritual ). I know there are weird things going on at the farm, but I don't think Herschel's a sinister guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks