What's new

The Virginian (1 Viewer)

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Sam's Club has Season 2 of The Virginian. The cost is around $20.00 for Season 2 Part 1 and around $20.00 for Season 2 Part 2.

Take Care!

Robert

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by MCCLOUD
Sam's Club has Season 2 of The Virginian. The cost is around $20.00 for Season 2 Part 1 and around $20.00 for Season 2 Part 2.
I was toying with the idea of ordering the Season One tin from Amazon, but instead I picked up both seasons at Sam's Club today. I prefer the slimcase packaging, anyway. My local Sam's has several copies of both seasons in stock.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The first season is available from amazon right now for c. $33. Good deal. I'm just finishing the first episode. I like this show.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I have to say that this box store exclusivity is really starting to make me mad. I can see no sense in it at all. I just bought Season 2 parts 1 & 2 from an ebay vendor who I'm sure bought up all of the sets he could find at Sams for resale. This is my first go around with the Virginian myself, and I'm loving it as well - just wish TMG would sell it through normal distribution channels.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Still no word of Time Life releasing Season 2? Odd that they would go to the trouble and expenese of making a Season 2 set only to sell a few copies exclusively to Sam's Club which is at most going to reach 20% o the total market for the release.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Timeless Media has season 2, parts 1 and 2 for purchase on their website so it is not limited in that respect. However, they are full price so you are missing out on the discounts you would received if also available from other vendors.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
If anyone is going to buy it at full retail from TMG, they might as while buy it directly from James Drury's site and get the sets autographed by him for the same price.

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
Great to see that the Season 2 tin is going to be released! I have yet to buy the first season. The only reason other than the budget is because
I've been recording The Virginian off of Encore Westerns .....a channel I didn't realize I even had until early March when they began airing the 3rd Season with the episode "Ryker", which introduced Sheriff Abbott's deputy Emmett Ryker.

Does anyone know why Clu Gulager left the show in the 5th Season and came back.....only to leave again midway through Season 6? I haven't been able to find any information or articles on that. Lee J. Cobb had previously done the same thing -- twice, but at least in his case it was well publicized back then that he felt the show was "beneath" him.

I know Roberta Shore and Sara Lane both retired from show business. Not sure about 4th Season cutie Diane Roter (who played Judge Garth's niece Jennifer Summers).

Then there is Don Quine (who played Stacey Grainger for 2 years) -- what led him to leave the show?

You guys have some great info! I wasn't even aware the 2nd Season half-year sets were also released at the beginning of 2010 until I ran across this topic this morning. I'm in southern California and there is a Costco nearby but no Sam's Club around here.

The first time I ever saw this series was in 1980s cable reruns on the USA Network, so I've seen most of the first 2 seasons before.

By the way, The Virginian uncut on Encore Westerns is about 77 minutes, not 75.

Someone asked how they could deliver such a high quality production for a near-feature length TV show at 30 episodes a year.
The # of episodes per season went down by the 5th Season to 26 episodes a year. Then in the 8th Season and the 9th (when it became The Men from Shiloh) both had 24 episodes each. Although it was before our time, TV production costs had to be kept under control back then too.
JEFF

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Executive
Great to see that the Season 2 tin is going to be released! I have yet to buy the first season. The only reason other than the budget is because
I've been recording The Virginian off of Encore Westerns .....a channel I didn't realize I even had until early March when they began airing the 3rd Season with the episode "Ryker", which introduced Sheriff Abbott's deputy Emmett Ryker.

Does anyone know why Clu Gulager left the show in the 5th Season and came back.....only to leave again midway through Season 6? I haven't been able to find any information or articles on that. Lee J. Cobb had previously done the same thing -- twice, but at least in his case it was well publicized back then that he felt the show was "beneath" him.

I know Roberta Shore and Sara Lane both retired from show business. Not sure about 4th Season cutie Diane Roter (who played Judge Garth's niece Jennifer Summers).

Then there is Don Quine (who played Stacey Grainger for 2 years) -- what led him to leave the show?

You guys have some great info! I wasn't even aware the 2nd Season half-year sets were also released at the beginning of 2010 until I ran across this topic this morning. I'm in southern California and there is a Costco nearby but no Sam's Club around here.

The first time I ever saw this series was in 1980s cable reruns on the USA Network, so I've seen most of the first 2 seasons before.

By the way, The Virginian uncut on Encore Westerns is about 77 minutes, not 75.

Someone asked how they could deliver such a high quality production for a near-feature length TV show at 30 episodes a year.
The # of episodes per season went down by the 5th Season to 26 episodes a year. Then in the 8th Season and the 9th (when it became The Men from Shiloh) both had 24 episodes each. Although it was before our time, TV production costs had to be kept under control back then too.
JEFF
Don't know the answers myself, but...there is a whole book--quite good--about the show that I've just started reading. And there's a lively discussion group at yahoo with lots of die-hard fans who know everything.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
JEFF said:
/forum/thread/284109/the-virginian/120#post_3738703

Don't know the answers myself, but...there is a whole book--quite good--about the show that I've just started reading. And there's a lively discussion group at yahoo with lots of die-hard fans who know everything.
Yes, this very interesting book (A History of Television's The Virginian, 1962 - 1971) has a lot of info on several of the actors, producers, etc. of The Virginian.

Clu Gulager apparently was never really happy with anything he did as an actor, and especially didn't feel comfortable with his work in this series (all worded in my simplification of his worrying nature), and Don Quine was a difficult man to work with, hot-tempered actually, who sort of changed his life gradually after his marriage failed - and finally left the acting trade altogether as well.

Diana Roter stopped her acting career after a few years too. Her task of filling in the much-loved Betsy role is described as "unenviable".

The tale about the "problem" of Sara Lane's, uhm, chest movement when riding a horse and the measures taken to avoid that frightening sight is close to hilarious.

Read the book! It's not inexpensive, but there's a lot of information (and there are lots of nice photographs) in it. (I personally was surprised, amused may be a better term, to see James Drury wearing spectacles, in that period.

About the second season tin: still very expensive on Amazon, but I ordered it nonetheless, trusting it may get decreased later.

Cees

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
Thanks for the reply!

I'm aware of The Virginian book, but I heard it wasn't available yet. If you read it than it must be by now.

How expensive is it? I haven't seen it in bookstores.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jeff,

It's available at Amazon (see the link in my first line above) for $35.95.

Cees

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I ordered this book even though it's a bit pricey because I think it's important to support the authors who dilligently archive information like this for fans of classic television. There can be no other motivation for a project like this 40 years after the fact than an obvious labor of love.This one is from across the pond, no less, by a fan who originally watched reruns of the show on the BBC. And it's a nice companion to have with the new Timeless sets, or to put along similar efforts for The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yeah, it's a good book by a British author (I think). If you like The Virginian it makes for fascinating reading imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks