What's new

The Virginian (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Mark-P /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does anybody have any idea why the Sam's exlcusives have season 1 on 12 discs (6+6) and the regular release everyone else will be carrying is only 10 discs? Do the Sams sets have something extra, or are the episodes just spread over more DVDs?
Having looked at 3 of the 4 sets for the two seasons, the sixth disk in each case is a bonus disk having interviews with Drury, as wll as some others from other series TMG sells (e.g., Fuller and Brown from Laramie and Laredo). While I didn't look at sizes, my guess would be that all the extra's across all 4 sets could be combined onto a single disk. Now as to whether those extra's make it to the full season 1 tin release or not, we will have to wait and see.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I called around and found one of the 4 Sam's in my vicinity had the sets, printed the pdf one-day pass (thanks, Brad), and bought all 4 sets of Season 1 and Season 2. Originally, I was just going to get Season 1, but, hey, how could I resist? I don't like tins, and it costs about $30 more than these two sets for the first season, which use the slim cases.

I was also pleasantly surprised at the quality, which was better than I expected (from Timeless). Second unit transitional scenes still have some scratches (but those are overused stock shots that may have had the scratches in the original). All close ups and inside shots look very good - at least better than they have ever been in syndication.

It's a great treat to finally have these sets. And the Season 2 sets were indeed a cool surprise to have already. I'm not one to always need to have entire seasons of shows, but I think the first two seasons of this series probably are a good representation of the quality of the show, and probably all I need or will buy. I also prefer Lee J. Cobb as Judge Garth to Charles Bickford.

Thanks again for the heads up on these sets at Sam's (which indeed did have a lot of other Western TV series - Branded, Wells Fargo, Wagon Train, etc.).

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Amazon is now showing the Tin with a slide out cardboard looking book. Sure looks like the disks are suppose to slide into the cardboard/paper looking sleeves. I am so glad I was able to get the standard slim case release. Too bad I wasn't able to score the second part of season 2.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
The tin is looking like what I suspected -- a repeat of the packaging they used for Wagon Train S1.
According to TVShowsonDVD.com the tin does have all the extras from the two S1 bonus discs combined on one DVD, plus an extra interview with Roberta Shore.
The Virginian - Extras, Including Exclusive Interview, for The Complete 1st Season: Collector's Edition Tin
I do wonder if that interview is the same as the one on S2P1. For me, that would be the deciding factor on whether to get the tin or the separate releases.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Originally Posted by smithb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon is now showing the Tin with a slide out cardboard looking book. Sure looks like the disks are suppose to slide into the cardboard/paper looking sleeves. I am so glad I was able to get the standard slim case release. Too bad I wasn't able to score the second part of season 2.
I positively hate cardboard stuff too, but it could be there's plastic cases in there...if it's cardboard I'll probably go with the other releases as well.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I would bet that's the case. It's a bonus extra for Season 1 buyers, but there is a Roberta Shore interview right here on the Season 2 sets.
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian/60#post_3668220
According to TVShowsonDVD.com the tin does have all the extras from the two S1 bonus discs combined on one DVD, plus an extra interview with Roberta Shore.
The Virginian - Extras, Including Exclusive Interview, for The Complete 1st Season: Collector's Edition Tin
I do wonder if that interview is the same as the one on S2P1. For me, that would be the deciding factor on whether to get the tin or the separate releases.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! Those covers look great!
I can't wait to pick these up. I've waited a looooong time to be able to get these on DVD.
Now, if we could just get some news that "The Rifleman" was coming to DVD I'd be a happy camper! (or should that be happy cowpoke?) /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
I was hoping to pick this up but I'm tired of these special collector's sets and these tin boxed sets are hideous:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Virginian-Season-1-Press-Release/13452

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I guess that means you don't have a Sam's Club near by. I may be wrong but I recollect someone saying the standard case release, now offerred at Sam's, would eventually be made available through normal outlets. So either find a Sam's or wait a bit longer. There is no reason to have to go with the Tin, none of us are.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I guess I'm one of the few people who actually really like the tin cases from TMG. I have hundreds of TV on DVDs sets, and I really like the tin cases they look great on display. I also had no problems with the cardboard insert in the Wagon Train tin. Realistically how many times are people going to remove those discs from their holders any how. Also, the cardboard will never have a bad reaction with the discs unlike some of the inferior plastic cases.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I just got the Sam's Club versions of Seasons 1 & 2 and wanted to chime in about how great the transfers look--much better than the color Wagon Train discs and other Timeless series. Don't hesitate to pick these up if you're at all interested in the series (and you have access to a Sam's--if not, get the regular edition when it's released).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It is monumentally frustrating to me that I can't get hold of these just because (1) there is no nearby Sam's Club and (2) the closest far away one doesn't have them!

I want this series but I really don't like the idea of having to pay full retail for them or even a small markdown at Amazon.

Can anyone who has both the DVD's and access to Encore Westerns, which is currently showing the entire "The Virginian" run (they are up to Season 3), compare the quality of the DVD's to the Encore Western quality? I'm tempted to get the DVD's, but only if it is better than what I'm currently DVRing from Encore.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the presentation on Encore is anything like what I've seen on Retro Network (RTN), or how The Virginian looked when it aired on the Hallmark Channel a couple years ago, I can only testify that these sets blow those away.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Richard Villafana /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian/90#post_3675979
Can anyone who has both the DVD's and access to Encore Westerns, which is currently showing the entire "The Virginian" run (they are up to Season 3), compare the quality of the DVD's to the Encore Western quality? I'm tempted to get the DVD's, but only if it is better than what I'm currently DVRing from Encore.
I thought the Encore Western presentation, which I'm sure is from the same remastering, looked pretty good. But the non-HD presentation looked a little more 'blocky" and pixelish on my 42" tv than the upconverted DVDs do. So it may depend on your display and how picky you are. I also find it easier to keep track of what I've seen or not seen on DVD than on the DVR, so that aspect appeals to me.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Richard Villafana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also been DVR'ing the Virginian episodes since they started this year, and I bought the DVD's when released at Sam's. I've only sampled a bit between the two so far, but I would say the DVD's may look just a tab better and obviously lack the Encore icon on the screen.
I could have been perfectly happy with the Encore one's but decided to buy the commercial one's because I always like pressed versions over DVD-R's when possible. However, I am happy to have seasons 3 and up from just encore.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Originally Posted by Richard Villafana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first episode of season 3 on Encore yesterday had an interesting bonus: an NBC color tag, the one with the color camera moving across the screen, appeared after the Universal logo.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up season 1, vol. 1. The picture quality is very impressive. Beautiful.

I'm not used to the 75 minute run time of the episodes, that's a bit strange to me but I'm sure I can get used to it.

This looks to be a great show, and I had no idea whatsoever that they shot tv shows in color in 1962. I'm picking up the next volume in a week or so.

Kruzer31

Agent
Real Name
Doug
I e-mailed Timeless inquiring if they were planning on releasing season 3 and forward. The reply was there are no plans at this time for releasing additional seasons. But it hadn't been ruled out. I would guess they are going to wait on see how the sales of season 1 and 2 go.

It would be disappointing if there are no additional seasons released, the prints used are excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks