What's new

The Virginian (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard anything about this series being released? I'm just being a bit curious about it since Bonanza and Virginian have yet to be even partially released to DVD as season sets.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I have no hard knowledge about "The Virginian" being released on DVD and so this is just speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was eventually released by Timeless Media for several reasons. First, and foremost, "The Virginian" was a Revue/Universal series and Timeless has licensing arrangements with NBC Universal for a number of the studio's vintage series. Second, Timeless has one of the largest catalogs of vintage TV Westerns released on DVD and "The Virginian" would certainly be a good "fit" for them and, more importantly, their customer base. Third, Timeless has released two shows that were produced for a 90 minute time slot, both "Wagon Train" (last year's color season release) and the crime drama "Arrest and Trial," so they are certainly open to releasing longer form television shows. Beyond that, it would be a matter of how "The Virginian" is released, i.e., would full seasons be released or would a compilation of episodes be released. I suspect the answer to that would depend on whether Universal has any "off the shelf" tape masters of the show (like "Laredo" -- a spinoff of "The Virginian," and "Wagon Train"), or whether Timeless would have to go the route of assembling 16 millimeter syndication prints (like "The Deputy" or "Riverboat," among others). I do feel fairly comfortable in saying that if "The Virginian" does ever get a DVD release, it'll come from an independent through license by Universal; I don't see Uni releasing this on their own.
With respect to "Bonanza," season 1 has been transferred to HD according to the CBS Paramount Syndication Bible. While not proof positive, when that happens, a DVD release often occurs and we very well may see an official release of "Bonanza" before year's end. In the meantime, there is an official (non public domain) "best of" compilation that was issued a number of years ago and is still available.
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Bonanza-V...8068082&sr=1-3

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I just refuse to buy any "best of" or "compilation" DVD releases. If I wanted those, I'd just download them from somewhere. I just want to be able to buy the full season sets ...

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Is this show playing on any cable network now? I remember it was on the Hallmark Channel a couple of years ago and I wish I had recorded my favorite episodes (Trampas takes off to hang with his outlaw buddies with tragic consequences).

I just discovered AmLife, which is playing Mission Impossible, Run for Your Life, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel and tons of other 60s' shows. And RTN has many (Hulk, Rockford, Magnum, etc.). Encore is playing Maverick. But where is this playing now?

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Hollywoodaholic said:
. But where is this playing now?
Actually it's playing on Retro TV Network on Sundays, followed by "Laredo". RTN is mainly a digital subchannel station (a lot of NBC affiliates took it when Weather Plus went off the air), so you may have to pull out the rabbit ears and a digital converter box.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Statskeeper said:
Actually it's playing on Retro TV Network on Sundays, followed by "Laredo". RTN is mainly a digital subchannel station (a lot of NBC affiliates took it when Weather Plus went off the air), so you may have to pull out the rabbit ears and a digital converter box.
Rats. My local RTN doesn't carry it. We've got Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and Rawhide on Sunday, but no Virginian.
http://www.wftv.com/download/2008/0411/15856860.pdf
Thanks for the info, anyway.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
It's surprising this title (like Bonanza and The High Chaparral) isn't out yet: all three shows were entirely filmed in color, and were ratings powerhouses for NBC in the 1960s and still have devoted followings today. Why the holdup?

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Count me in. A sentimental and ... timeless favorite. And that's going to be one fat box set if they manage to release all seasons of the 90-minute show.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I just learned this show ran for nine seasons and 249 episodes.
The mind boggles at how big just a season set would be. A dozen discs at least.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to get this show. I'm a sucker for classic westerns. I'm really enjoying Laramie, and Gunsmoke. I just checked IMDB, and someone in the forums stated special features are already being shot for the Virginian. Apparently it is going to be a Timeless Media release.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Pity that Doug McClure didn't live to see this, but at least we may get James Drury to provide something for extras. Also: Roberta Shore, Sara Lane and Don Quine. As it was in color from the beginning, the sales may do better with younger buyers who are put off by B/W (don't ask me why!). I only hope that the shows are from good prints or remastered, complete, and will be in reasonably priced season sets.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
They are being remastered, both for Encore and for DVD release. Imagine that, Universal actually remastering something. Of course it's probably Encore footing the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks