What's new

The Vincent Price Collection II (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
All those different film libraries certainly gives Scream Factory some latitude to work with to be sure.

If Warner Brothers was involved (presumably with HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL) then I would like to see CONFESSIONS OF AN OPIUM EATER (1962) included sometime in the (ongoing) collection.

Should Scream acquire access to the Universal Pictures film library then we could (conceivably) see THE TOWER OF LONDON (1939) and THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS (1940) featured.

From Columbia Pictures there is THE MAD MAGICIAN (1954) and THE TINGLER (1959).

The big one that I am looking forward to next time around is the magnificent MASTER OF THE WORLD (1961).

Jeff T.

P.S. It occurred to me that THE COMEDY OF TERRORS (1964) which was completed in September 1963 was filmed around the same time that both the final season of THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) and the first season of THE OUTER LIMITS (ABC 1963-64) were in production. What a lush period of creativity!

:D

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
don't tempt me, still waiting to see if The Outer Limits will ever get the same treatment on blu ray that Twilight Zone got.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
JeffT. said:
All those different film libraries certainly gives Scream Factory some latitude to work with to be sure.

If Warner Brothers was involved (presumably with HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL)
Can anyone who has the set report on this film or direct me to an early review? I have serious doubts they got this from WB, more likely a collector's print (if that). That title is potentially the most variable in the whole set.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JoHud said:
Can anyone who has the set report on this film or direct me to an early review? I have serious doubts they got this from WB, more likely a collector's print (if that). That title is potentially the most variable in the whole set.
Someone in the other thread on this title, on HTF I think but maybe on CHFB, said that despite WHV releasing the best DVD of this film, the elements were owned by Fox. If that's the case, there may be little to worry about.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Scan_20140927.jpg

I don't see the FOX logo on that disc

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
dana martin said:
I don't see the FOX logo on that disc
Wow, nice! Now I'm very enthusiastic to see what the blu-ray looks like.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
They made a deal with Warner I guess... its a PD title but used Warners film elements of it..

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I know the fact that is that it is PD, but with WB owning or controlling the Allied Artist library of films, why not go to the original instead of a bad copy, and this looks good

just to throw a little fuel on the fire, so in the bonus features there is "The Vincent Price Collection" is trailers, possibly of items that could appear on the next set, and of titles in the first as well,

also it has some great stuff that Price did for Iowa Public Tv, back in the 80's when he came in and did intros

some of the trailers included

House Of Wax 3D- already released

The Tingler was on there, and it got me thinking someone mentioned the Universal titles, but since they are doing the Fox titles Dragonwyck would be a perfect gothic horror for this collection for a Vol III

I was watching this on a portable , scanning thru, and was damn impressed, but then it's a 10 inch screen, waiting till next month, when I kick off my very BLU Oct marathon, 2 days and counting

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
dana martin said:
and it got me thinking someone mentioned the Universal titles
Universal does have Green Hell... Surely being planned for Vol 4 :ph34r:

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I watched House on Haunted Hill last night. Very nice transfer. There were some instances of very minor print damage, specks of dirt here and there, but nothing really ugly. Overall, it's the best I've ever seen it looking and sounding. A solid 4 out of 5.

Very good supplements. I particularly enjoyed the segment about the making of the wraparounds that Vincent Price graciously consented to do for the PBS folks in Iowa. Mr. Price was a true gentleman and consummate professional.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Any comments on the HD quality of The Raven? While "The Comedy of Terrors" was very good for standard def DVD, the more interesting film on the flip side, "The Raven", was rather weak.

I have the older Warner Brothers standard def of "House on Haunted Hill", and it was good.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I'm talking about the visual quality, and I really like The Raven and House on Haunted Hill. Among my favorite films.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
aPhil said:
I'm talking about the visual quality, and I really like The Raven and House on Haunted Hill. Among my favorite films.
Color and detail wise, I thought The Raven looked pretty good. There were some scenes with soft focus, but I'm assuming that might have been how it was filmed.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
dana martin said:
don't tempt me, still waiting to see if The Outer Limits will ever get the same treatment on blu ray that Twilight Zone got.
We have it in SD already and upscaled it looks great! What they should spend their money on is a good box set of "Science Fiction Theater" with episodes that you can actually see. Who knows who owns the rights to it, but one can always dream!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
John Sparks said:
We have it in SD already and upscaled it looks great! What they should spend their money on is a good box set of "Science Fiction Theater" with episodes that you can actually see. Who knows who owns the rights to it, but one can always dream!
I think that it was one of those Ziv shows and there was talk about TG Direct releasing it, but I think that there were rights issues related to episodes based on short stories and the like.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
HouseOnHauntedHill59.jpg

Vincent Price actually made two guest appearances on SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE (Syndicated 1955-57) in the episodes "Operation Flypaper" (14/01/1956) and "One Thousand Eyes" (06/10/1956).

Part of the difficulties with SFT (according to informed sources) is that the first season (1955-56) episodes were shot on a low grade (or cheap) colour film stock and the original print negatives have irrecoverably deteriorated of neglect (and aging) over the l-o-n-g years. So we may never see the colour shows in a satisfactorily restored quality.

I am certainly for a quality DVD release but (likely) we'll have to be reserved in our expectations of what can be viably offered.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x251xd3_science-fiction-theatre-38-operation-flypaper_tv

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
time to resurrect this thread, that other site, posted that one title I was expecting for Vol III will not be coming from Scream , Tales of Terror will be coming from Kino some time in April

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
dana martin said:
time to resurrect this thread, that other site, posted that one title I was expecting for Vol III will not be coming from Scream , Tales of Terror will be coming from Kino some time in April
Doesn't look good for volume 3, but hopefully if we see one, it will leave room for titles like Dragonwyk.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Scream probably has enough from the MGM library to do a Ray Milland set...I mean, Premature Burial, Panic in Year Zero, X, The Man With the X-Ray Eyes, Frogs, The Thing With Two Heads...and maybe Hostile Witness. Milland was pretty busy with AIP and UA during the 60s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks