What's new

The Videogame top 10 thread. (1 Viewer)

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
Romey, great idea for a list. Glad to be back in the HTF. Haven't thought out a full top ten list yet, but I second virtually all of the above. RE dog, GOOD LORD I jumped! SC on the VGA; sweetness. Let me add a couple:

1. Tecmo Bowl: Seeing your reciever all alone on the bottom of your screen and throwing the 80 yard TD pass on your buddy. Felt so good! If you've played it, you know what I mean.

2. Warcraft III on Apple's 23" HD display. Man is that pretty!

Kip

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Top 5 things Mario would say while pissing:
5. Luigi, you wanna cross streams?
4. Koopa turtle soup sure does smell coming out.
3. Damn't, I couldn't get my over-alls off in time.
2. Peach, could you come and help me? Dr. Wario told me not to lift anything heavy since I strained my back swinging Bowser by his tail.
1. Itsa my a pee, itsa a burning!
I tried Romier. ;)
-Dean-

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
At the risk of opening myself up for ridicule from the hardcore gamers on the board, I thought I'd add a list of the 10 things that gave me the most trouble in videogames (hardest tasks, I guess):
10) Goldeneye (N64): Getting off the train. You had to use your watch laser to cut a hole in the bottom of the train in a limited amount of time. I always ran out of time before cutting all the way around.
9) Super Mario 64 (N64): Cool, Cool Mountain, getting the "Wall Kicks Will Work" star. Ugh, I hate wall kicks.
8) Tony Hawk 2 (PSX): Get the secret tape in the New York Level. I know where it is and how to get it, but it took me forever and a week to jump far enough to land on the rail that leads to it.
7) Project Gotham (Xbox): Beating the Ford Focus Cosworth in San Fran. It's early on, but this one took me dozens of tries before I finally beat that sucker. Actually, just about this entire game could be on the "Hardest to complete" list for me. :)
6) Diablo (PC): Defeating Diablo with my stupid Rogue. The original Diablo allowed only three character types, and while the ranged attack of the archer chick was good in the beginning, her poor melee skills and weak magic became more and more of a detriment as the game progressed. The final battle with the Big D was Not Fun with that character.
5) Halo (Xbox): "Into the Belly of the Beast" part of the Truth and Reconciliation on Heroic difficulty. Yeah, I know it's even harder on Legendary, but I haven't gotten that far. It was hard enough on Heroic!!
4) Tony Hawk 2 (PSX): Hitting 4 VB Transfers in Venice Beach. That first transfer from one ramp, over a second one, and landing on a third took me hours to pull off. And one busted controller, too, if memory serves.
3) Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX): At the Gate of Lionel Castle. This battle is in two parts, with Ramza taking on Gafgarion behind castle walls, and the rest of your party taking on knights, archers, and a summoner. Very tough battle for me.
2) Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX): Inside Riovanes Castle. Oh my God, are you kidding me? First a tough one-on-one battle with Wiegraf, and then a party battle versus Velius and three Archaic Demons? Wow, this fight is just unfair. It took me about 2 weeks to come up with a winning strategy for this battle!
1) Final Fantasy 7 (PSX): Defeating Emerald and Ruby Weapons. Uh, yeah, right. Last time I checked those creeps were still roaming around unchecked. I finally gave up on them.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
OK, here's my feeble attempt at Romier's question:
Top Ten Things Mario Would Say While Peeing
10. Good thing I warped straight to World 8! My eyes were turning yellow!
9. Glad I'm on Koopa's sub. This smells like it'll rust steel.
8. Sure hope Big Boo isn't behind me. I'm not turning around for a minute or two.
7. Excuse me while I "take a Koopa".
6. Mmm...Beer...
5. Man, I swallowed too much water trying to catch that stupid manta ray!
4. While I'm here, I might as well "shine up ol' Yoshi"!
3. Man that stings! Gotta cut down on the power flowers!
2. YEEOOOWW! So that's why she's called "Princess Toadstool"! Luigi! Is that color healthy?
1. Humming "Da-da-da d'dum DUM..."
I'll try to add a serious one later.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Don't feel bad, I played THPS2 like a madman for about six months and never ONCE got the NY secret tape. I was thinking about doing a top ten dedicated entirely to the THPS series, like top level or hardest goals, but I'm too lazy to seek out a listing of all the levels.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
6) Diablo (PC): Defeating Diablo with my stupid Rogue. The original Diablo allowed only three character types, and while the ranged attack of the archer chick was good in the beginning, her poor melee skills and weak magic
became more and more of a detriment as the game progressed. The final battle with the Big D was Not Fun with that character.
Interesting. I first beat the game the warrior character and had a fair challenge with that, but when I went back and decided to try the rogue character, I really beat the crap out of the game. I can see exactly what you mean about poor melee and magic skills but her bow and arrows have such a fast rate of fire that she might as well have been armed with a machine gun. I was actually shocked at how fast I was able to kill Diablo with her because he never really got close to me. OTOH, I never had a chance with the wizard so I gave up on him :)

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
10) Goldeneye (N64): Getting off the train. You had to use your watch laser to cut a hole in the bottom of the train in a limited amount of time. I always ran out of time before cutting all the way around.
I remember that! What I hated is when you would cut your way out in time but that woman who was with you (forgot her name) wouldn't get clear of the train in time and die even though you were both outside of the train.

Aaron

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Ok, more serious list.
Spence's Top Ten Commodore 64 Games
10. Raid Over Bungeling Bay - This game was just so good for its time.
9. Underwurlde - Man, I never did figure out what this game was all about. All I know is that I spent lots of fun time trying to figure it out.
8. Elite - I still remember how happy I was when I could afford my first ship upgrade. The game was so simple, but so complex all at the same time.
7. Ultima I and II - All I'm saying is, starving to death is a real pisser. Especially when you've forgotten to save.
6. Microleage Baseball - Terrible graphics, limited choices, but soo fun to build a league with your friends. We played this game for 5 years straight.
5. Bard's Tale III:Thief of Fate - A great finish to a great series. Still not as fun as the first, but still loved it.
4. Gorf - yeah, it was a cartridge, but like Combat for the Atari 2600, it still got popped in long after newer games had collected dust.
3. Bard's Tale - For its time, this RPg was the bomb. I still remember getting on the phone with my friends at 2am because I just figured out how to get into Kylearan's Amber Tower.
2. Pool of Radiance - The first game in the incredible SSI Forgotten Realms D&D series. For the C64, the cutscene graphics were awesome. And the game just drew you in, so much so that you forgot all about the horrendous load times. I'm pretty tempted to lump all the series into this slot, because by the time I finally beat one, another showed up. This series helped the Commodore last at least 5 years beyond where it should have gone away.
1. Trolls and Tribulations - A little shareware game, but one that my father and I spent thousands of hours perfecting. Another simple game, but done so well that it was very hard to get tired of.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
10 Games that really stand out for me over the years (not really in any order).

10 Wizardry (Apple IIe) The first game I played on a home computer. It just seemed so amazing at the time, and while the series seemed to fall behind Bard's Tale and Ultima, the original Wizardry still is something special to me (and I still have my apple IIe to play it on).

9 Tie Fighter Deluxe Edition (PC)I loved all the incarnations of the Xwing /Tie games but this was my favorite. It had a great game engine and a great story to go with it. I spent many hours I should have been in a practice room playing this game.

8 Pool of Radiance (Commodore 64) The commodore belonged to a friend. We poured a lot of hours into that game, but it was such a good RPG for it's time.

7 Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast) - Just one of the fine games made for the Dreamcast that was ignored here in the US. Aside from the ridiculous amount of random encounters it was an excellent game and drew me into it in a way that none of the playstation RPGs could. Oh the joy of finding the last of the discoveries (those pesky flutterbys).

6 Halo (Xbox) - I bought my xbox on a whim on launch day. I called in sick and played Halo for the rest of the week. I was not dissapointed.

5 Return to Wolfenstein (Apple IIe) - I spent a summer playing this game. I liked how you could go in guns blazing or opt for being sneaky (something I also like about the Metal Gear series).

4 Fallout 2 (PC) - Just recently played this for the first time. Maybe the best $10 I've spent on a PC game in years. Loved the whole post-apocolypse theme and the many varied ways you can get through the game.

3 Doom (PC) Everything about this game was cool. The unique game play, customizability, and playing my first LAN deathmatch with a friend.

2 VF4 (PS2) - I like Tekken, but I 've always liked Virtua Fighter more. This is why I bought a PS2. My friends and I have logged in way too much time on this game but it's just so fun.

1 Soul Caliber (DC) My favorite arcade fighter on my favorite console. Could only be better if i had a VGA box and something big to play it on.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Top 10 Saddest Moments in Videogame History
10. When Otakon's sister dies in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
9. When you experience the tragedy behind the death of Cyan's son and wife in Final Fantasy VI
8. When your character discovers the truth about his parents in Secret of Mana
7. When Ryu Hayabusa has to fight and kill his dad in Ninja Gaiden
6. When Prince Edward's girlfriend dies in Final Fantasy IV
5. Sniper Wolf's death in Metal Gear Solid
4. When Skull Kid is left alone again in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
3. When Locke unsuccessfully tries to revive Rachel in Final Fantasy VI
2. When Cloud lays Aeris to rest in Final Fantasy VII
1. When Tidus begins to fade from the world, and he "embraces" Yuna

Mark Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
The following list contains major spoilers.
Top 10 most intense levels/missions/moments/events
10. Max Payne- The lead-up to Jack Lupino as well as the big fight itself.
All of those occult books and rituals I saw when I was playing this game the first time around lead me to believe that old Jack himself was not going to be a...gracious host. When I came into the boss area and heard him rambling on about multiple demons and how he's the wolf, I was primed for combat with my dual Ingrams. But I did not know I had fight my way through many of his men and then fight the howling beast himself. Pretty intense.
9. Dark Forces- The final battle with Mohc.
It was hard enough that I had to take on a group of those malevolent Darktroopers, but it was neutron star-hard when I had to fight Mohc in his double-sized, double-armed and double-hard suit. What made it even worse were those homing missiles that had that distinct evil noise. Rest assured, I was grinning like an idiot when that armored b*****d went down.
8. Resident Evil III: Nemesis- The first time you have to fight Nemesis.
The set-up is simple. You think you are going to get away with the happy music and then KA-BOOM! A rocket flies out of nowhere (well, not nowhere but you get my point) and vaporizes that helicopter who came to rescue your sorry behind. Oh look, it's that guy who knows one word and wields a rocket launcher. Oh s**t! But Carlos with his trusty assault rifle comes diving out of the flames to perform the repetitive act of shooting and manages to get that Nemesis angrier than necessary. His launcher is blown apart and he falls into the flames. Carlos faints after nearly taking a rocket and that damn creature gets up. The fun then begins and playing the game on hard mode really lets the fun begin. No assault rifle, limited magnum rounds, but a good supply of freeze rounds. So I freeze the freak and then pass out.
7. Resident Evil II- The battle with the mutated tyrant (Mission B).
As soon as I saw that CGI cut-scene with the Umbrella helicopter dropping that trench coat-wearing tyrant into the station, I knew I was up to my knees in it. With no serious weapons in my arsenal, I had to take a beating to get past this deadly dude. Luckily it takes him a while to put his hands together and swing down with one big fist. Running into him was tense enough, but fighting him at the end after he is injected with the G-Virus...holy smokes! This guy puts the tyrant in the first Resident Evil to shame. He's fast, tough and equipped with two razor-clawed hands. Thank God you are given that rocket launcher by that 'mysterious' woman. Even your modified magnum probably would not put him down. Yikes!
6. Resident Evil: Code Veronica- The final battle with Alexia.
You meet her, she mutates, she kicks Wesker's a** like she was doing her nails, she sees you, Wesker bails and you are left to deal with this ex-beauty. If you have the magnum, then no sweat. Just smoke her five or six times and she goes down. But she gets up and no doubt you will have end her days on Earth sometime later. So you do your thing and alarms begin to go off. Claire meets up with Chris, but not without Alexia ruining the moment. You shoot her once and she goes down...again. But when she comes back up, she grows big with tentacles that swipe at you and little bug-like things moving around that take swipes at you. It's a big swipe thing. No maggie this time. It's time to deploy the big guns. I take out my Ingrams saved specifically for this momentous occasion and begin to rip into her like Ebert ripped into North. You tear a few new holes, ants begin to eat her, she screams and she then...separates from her body and begins to...fly about (coughs). A-hem. But that Linear Launcher is done charging and so you splatter her. Hoo-rah!
5. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast- The lead-up to the fight with Desann.
The fight with Desann is pretty tough and pulse-pounding, but not as intense as the lead-up to it. It must be the music that does it. The utilization of the music from Jedi where Luke shouts, "NEVER!!" and unleashes his fury upon Vader is sheer perfection. It gave me a high and the sense that something big was approaching. Too bad the ending was clunky and nearly destroyed the magic the game built. But that topic is for another time and thread. Still, a very tense area in the game.
4. Resident Evil: Code Veronica (again)- When the self-destruction music begins.
You would think that the final battle with Alexia would be intense enough. But I think the set-up for the battle is packed with more tension. It is the same reason I gave for Jedi Outcast, the build-up to something huge and once again through its music. As soon as Claire slips the security card under the door and Chris picks it up, this energetic and epic music starts up and it diverts all of my intention to the screen. Its the most memorable piece of music composed for Resident Evil in my mind. It is not really complex, but for me it gets my juices going.
3. SoulCalibur (arcade)- The fight with Inferno.
Just this past Saturday I went up to a local mall in my area to look around. My family had left to go on a trip that morning and I chose to stay home. I had the day off from work and a fat paycheck that was cashed the day before. While up at the mall, I walked into the arcade up there with the intention of playing their Star Wars Trilogy machine. But I instead went to the arcade's SoulCalibur machine. I have the game for at home for the Dreamcast and had beaten it several times, but never in the arcades. With victory in my mind and three bucks worth of quarters in my pockets, I began to play. Just like at home, I chose Nightmare as my fighter and began to slash my way through the ranks with some continues along the way.
On my last two quarters, I managed to beat the character (Cervantes) right before Inferno and the one-who-does-not-know-to-stop-drop-and-roll appeared. My heart actually began to pound from the anxiety and fear swarming my mind. The first round went poorly for me as I was defeated by my own weapon. In the second round though I walked all over the son of a b***h. Third and final round, I was sweating. Screw up and I walk away cussing like a senior citizen who works at Dollar General (little in-joke) and if I win, I will do a cartwheel (yeah right) or maybe just silently congratulate myself. Well, I ended using four-lettered words as I walked off from the machine. However, I almost defeated him, but I attacked when I should have blocked or moved. I did not even bother to put in my initials.
Mark my words SoulCalibur machine, one of these days I will defeat you and the glory will be mine. MA-HA-HA-HA-AH-HA-HA-HA-HA!
2. Freespace II- Second part of Clash of the Titans II.
Ah Freespace II, the finest starfighter combat game I ever played. Better than even Tie Fighter or X-Wing Alliance and way, way better than any of the Wing Commander games. Great voice work, stunning graphics, beam weapons, cool-as-Hell missiles trails for the Hornets and the Tornadoes, ships that have a real sense of mass to them, a good story, an excellent and easy to use mission creator and best of all, a real sense of dread from your main foe, the Shivans.
Without a doubt, you can ascertain that this beauty of a game is one of my all-time favorites, and within this favorite of mine is one of most intense missions I have ever played. To those of you who are not familiar with the Freespace universe, I will explain it. No wait, there's too much to tell, let me summarize instead. The Terrans and another race, the Vasudans, are at war with each other and in comes the Shivans. The two races put aside their differences to fight the Shivans. The Vasudans' homeworld is bombarded by a Shivan super destroyer called Lucifer and it is on its way to Earth next. You kill the Lucifer but lose contact with Earth because subspace to Earth is disrupted by the exploding Lucifer.
Thirty-two years later the alliance between the Terrans and the Vasudans has grown much stronger and there is a rebel Terran officer named Aken Bosch (voiced by Ronny Cox) leading a war against the alliance. The Shivans show up with a huge warship called Sathanas, but it is destroyed by a large alliance warship named Colossus. Then eighty of these Sathanas ships show up and the Colossus is blown to astro dust. They surround the star Capella and the alliance hopes to keep them there by collapsing both subspace nodes out of Capella. One is collapsed and the final mission is evacuating any military personnel and civilians left.
Shivan bombers and fighters are everywhere as transports and medical ships attempt to jump through the last node. It is one huge massacre. The Shivans are sending wave after wave of bombers and warships to butcher those trying to flee the system and then the s**t hits the fan. The eighty Sathanas juggernauts that are near the star tear a hole in subspace and Capella goes supernova!
The game ends with a cut-scene depicting the destruction of Capella and of some of the juggernauts jumping out of the system. If you get out in time, an alliance admiral theorizes that the Shivans destroyed Capella in able to perform a long-range jump back to wherever they originally came from. If you die, the admiral speaks to your squadron about how you died honorably in the line of duty to allow other ships to escape. Enough tension to fill the Grand Canyon.
And finally, the most intense level/mission/moment/event ever:
1. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Two words: Omaha Beach.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I gotta add one more to your list man:
Halo
The Maw. Once you have destroyed the reactor and ship is set to blow, the fun begins. The ride on the Warthog through droves of Covenant, explosions and standing walls. All of it leading up to that final run to the last ship in the dock. Pure, simple and basic adrenaline! I love that level.

Oscar_R

Second Unit
i'd love to contribute to this list, but i don't even know where to begin......... been playing games for 23 years now?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
been playing games for 23 years now?
Going on 15 years for me Oscar. Since I was a lil kiddy at the age of 9. Heres one, but a little shorter..

Top 5 things you would never say to Samus Aran of Metroid fame:

5. Yellow and run are so last year you fashion victim!

4. Your a little manly.

3. *points at thong* Is that Victoria Secret?

2. You have got the nicest armored ass I have ever seen!

1. I love it when you do that rolling up into a ball thing, I can just imagine the positions you cou....*Blaster fire heard* ...

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
9. Alter Ego (Commodore 64 again)
I too, spent many hours just enthralled in that game. I thought I was the only one...
10 ten game systems I've owned in order of (1)most enjoyable to (10) Never got my $$'s worth.
1. Commodore 128- Should've just bought the C64. Because that's all I used it for. Used to play Leaderboard series with my Dad. He loved it so much. Anybody remember EA's Race Car Destruction Set? This computer was the greatest source of entertainment for me that I can remember.
2. Atari 2600- I still play the original one my Dad got back in '79.
3. PSX- Traded in my 3DO at Fuckmeland on 9/9/95 and paid $340. Great system. Still playing it 7 years later.
4. NES- At 12 yrs old, I remember plopping in SMB, and drooling over the graphics.
5. Microsoft Xbox- Still awaiting some sort of GTA. Right now, it's mainly my DVD player.
6. Pocket Gameboy- Still playing it. I keep her in the glove box.
7. Panasonic 3D0- My favorite times with this was with Gex and some "flying through caverns over lava game." I loved the barrel rolls.
8. Sega Genesis- Madden football. "Boom...He's on his back" "Where'd that truck come from?"
9. VIC20- What was I thinking? All I remember is playing all of those text-based adventure games.
10. I've only had nine systems.
my $0.02

ScottMa

Auditioning
Great Thread! This would be my Top 10 Most Hours Spent Playing
Since I can't remember exact hours this is my best guesstimates.
10) Super Tecmo Bowl for Super Nintendo - Played in college dorm rooms for countless hours. Even had stats on someones PC that we had to write down after every game.
9) Alone In The Dark - Many a night spent in friend's basements playing this classic.
8) Dune 2 - My first RTS, way too many hours spent.
7) A Bard's Tale for Apple II - One of my first RPG's and still a classic. Waiting for a new version!
6) Star Control 2 - Man, sooo time consuming many many a night of Mt Dew and Pizza with this game. I believe it was for the 3DO.
5) Heroes of Might and Magic 2 - My first real turn based game, loved the concept and characters.
4) Warcraft 2 - This was the game that to this day I swear cost me a girlfriend or two. My first multiplayer semi-LAN based game. Amazing
3) Starcraft - See above :)
2) Civilization II - What can I say about this? Many, many 12-15 hour sessions with this game, as I believe someone posted earlier - Digital Crack - should've been the subtitle.
1) Ultima(s) IV & V for the Apple II - We went and bought a second 5 1/4" floppy drive just for this game. So much disk swapping, but again so very many hours at my friends house playing this game. Only breaks would be for food, to relieve ourselves or to get the circulation going again! :) My all time favorite games.

Mark Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Top Ten Favorite Games of All Time (as it stands now)
10. Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis)
Endless villains, explosions and fun. My second favorite game for the Genesis and it was so great, it became my tenth favorite game of all time.
9. Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (Arcade, duh)
Whether I was decimating entire squads of Ties over the first Death Star or decapitating AT-STs on Hoth, I always had a big grin on my face. Also this arcade has the best playable version of the Battle of Endor ever.
8. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (PC)
The lightsaber combat alone makes this an outstanding game. You can finally experience what it would be like to engage in a lightsaber duel.
7. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Sony Playstation I)

A fantastic mix of role-playing, action and adventure with various enemies that are sometimes nightmarish in design.
6. Galaxian and Galaga (Arcade, tie)
Pure entertainment. With the complexity programmed into games today, it is hard sometimes to remember that simplicity can be just as good, or even better. Nothing is more relaxing than standing up and blasting away those whistling starships.
5. Sonic the Hedgehog II (Sega Genesis)
Once they added the spin-dash attack, I was hooked. My favorite game for the Genesis and it is also blessed with a high replay value. No way I will get bored with this gem.
4. Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Sega Dreamcast)
The pinnacle of the Resident Evil series. The replacement of those pre-rendered backgrounds with 3-D ones give the game a sense of dimension and realism. Plus Wesker (my favorite character) is back, and no doubt he will be raising Hell on the Redfields. Two discs worth of puzzles, zombies and miscellaneous creatures. Truly the big epic of the series.
3. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC)
When I downloaded the single player demo, I knew that this was a brilliant game and after I purchased it, it became one of my all-time favorites. The mixture of WWII film styles got me glued to the screen and drew me into the time and period. From the espionage/sabotage style in the first two missions to the brutal combat in the third one, I knew I just had to beat this game and I did so in the same night I bought it. COVERING FIRE!!!
2. SoulCalibur (Sega Dreamcast)
Without a doubt in my mind, this is the best fighting game ever created on this planet or even in this universe. The graphics took my breath away, but what really got me going was the fighting. I could perform devastating combos with a minuscule movement of the stick. This game also has some great memories for me. Mainly the ones of me kicking my brother's a** repeatedly with Hwang or Nightmare. Kudos to those people who developed this masterpiece. It is spectacular, spectacular.
And now, my favorite game of all time:
1. Freespace II (PC)
Drool comes out of my mouth just thinking about this magnificent piece of art. I could go on and on about this game that makes me thank God that computers were invented and the genre of science fiction was created. But it would take too much time. So I will just let the smilies do the talking.
:D
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
:cool: :)

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
9) Super Mario 64 (N64): Cool, Cool Mountain, getting the "Wall Kicks Will Work" star. Ugh, I hate wall kicks.
Yeah, wall kicks were a huge pain.
Did you ever get 100 coins in Rainbow Ride? You really need to get all the blue coins, and to do that depends on performing four or five wall kicks in a row. In other words, a total hellish nightmare of a task, not to mention all the careful jumps you have to make to get the coins in the rest of the level.
I eventually did it after many dozens of tries, but I don't think I ever want to go through that stress again. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks