What's new

The Videogame top 10 thread. (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Well, its been really quiet around here lately. Lack of any substantial news and the holidays have made for some quiet, game strategy exchanging conversations so I thought this would be a fun thread to liven things up.
This isn't your regular old top 10 thread. This is the "do-it-yourself" top 10. You create the top 10 that *YOU* want ladies and gentleman. You can go ahead and post the top 10 video game moments of all time, or even the top 10 things Mario would say while he is taking a whiz:D. Its up to you. The more creative it is the more laughs and discussions we can get out of it. The only thing I ask of you my friends is that if you do a humorous top 10 ala the Mario example I gave above, try to follow it up with some kind of serious top 10. That way we can maintain a decent high quality thread with good discussion and laughs!
So I'll throw out the opening salvo with my top 10:
These may contain spoilers to popular games: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
Top 10 scariest/jump-inducing/tense moments in a videogame
10. First time you hear the yell of a Howler demon in Clive Barkers Undying (Undying, one of the most under appreciated FPS's ever IMHO)
9. The human missions in Alien Vs Predator 2 (Too much atmosphere!)
8. The bathtub sequence in Eternal Darkness. Damn if I didn't jump in my friggin seat when I saw that!
7. The licker jumping through the 2-way mirror in the police station-Resident Evil 2
6. The first time you enter the Japanese mansion in Fatal Frame and everything is in black and white! (Very spooky!!)
5. The beginning dream sequence in Silent Hill when Harry is following his daughter into the alley and the lights suddenly dim bringing you into the "Nightmare" Silent Hill. That leads to the discovery of the corpse and Harry waking up. That sequence has IMO one of the most effective uses of a camera in a game ever!
4. The cabin sequence in the Resident Evil Remake where you are first introduced to poor Lisa and promptly poop your pants at the sight of her!
3. The Elementary School in Silent hill. Specifically the section where Harry finds the blue telephone that is not connected to a line and it suddenly rings as he walking out of the door. He picks up and all he hears on the other end of the line is voice of his daughter saying: "Daddy." *Shivers*
2. Toluca Prison in Silent Hill 2. Every inch of it will make you squirm. From the creature you cant see gnarling out words and crawling along the top of the cage to the empty field with the noose and the surrounding noises of Horses running that are not there. Utterly creepy and one of the most scary situations I have experienced in any form of entertainment.
1. #1 is too easy for me. The game? Resident Evil. The moment? The first time that damned dog jumped out of the window. *EVERYBODY* jumped at that. Its the one thing that Resident Evil is known for and to me, its the most enjoyable jump-inducing sequence in a video game.
Well there you go guys..lets see what you got:D.

James St

Supporting Actor
Can't think of ten right now but here's one that I remember vividly.

The locker room upstairs in the elementary school from the original Silent Hill. I believe it was in the evil realm of the school. I won't go into further details but those who played should remember. It scared the shit out of me even when I replayed it and knew what was coming.

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Romier, you hit the nail right on the head with your #1. When I read you topic that was the first thing that went into my head!!! Stupid dog.

Corey

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I know what your talking about James:). Corey, I agree..STUPID DOG!
I know you guys are out there, let see some good top tens. Calling the HTF!!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Romier, you hit the nail right on the head with your #1. When I read you topic that was the first thing that went into my head!!! Stupid dog.
:laugh: Ditto here. I think I might've said the "f" word when I jumped. :D
Well, you've hit some of the scary moments, so for me, here's some of my "atmospheric" moments:
The very 1st time you step out of Vortex Rikers in Unreal, and the awesome music swells, you look up at that gorgeous sky and see flying creatures waaaay up there doing lazy circles with an alien sun softly filtering through the moisture laden clouds.
I'd write more but, I have to go taxi a 777.
:angry:
777 is in da hangar!
Okay, another great "moment" was while playing this little game called "Halo", and you step outside the dropship and get your very 1st look at the ring world. Hole-E-Shite!
I even have to admit that the part where the chick in FF7 dies was decently moving. :frowning:

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of good ones from System Shock 2:
1. After waking up, you slowly make your way through the damaged ship, dodging falling debris and crawling through vents filled with hissing steam. At last, you find yourself in the eerie silence of a workarea. After exploring a bit you approach the exit after checking the nearby lightswitch (which only seems to trigger a surge in some unseen relays above) and a ghostly apparition appears out of thin air! Brown trouser time.
2. When the door opens you step into the next corridor and a zombie-like crewmember lurches around the corner, proceeding to bash your skull in with a pipe while uttering phrases like "They see you. Run" and "KILL ME!". The fact that they tried to warn you off while attempting to kill you was rather chilling.
The graphics might not be up to snuff nowadays, but System Shock 2 grabbed me like Resident Evil never did. Besides, the thing-though-the-window effect was used way, way before in the first Alone in the Dark game.;)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Besides, the thing-though-the-window effect was used way, way before in the first Alone in the Dark game.
Well of course it was;). Though I think its use was:
A. Much more effective in RE.
b. Will be more fondly remembered than AITD. Especially considering RE was allot of gamers first introduction to "Survival Horror" before there was even such a genre.
Alone in the Dark has the distinction of being the Wolfenstein 3d of the survival horror genre, but I think we can agree Resident Evil is the equivalant of Doom. It was evolutionary and popularized the genre.
Remember guys that the top 10 does not only have to be about the top 10 scary moments, it can be anything you want. I personally would love to see someone tackle the Top 10 things Mario would say while he whizzed:D.
PS. I agree whole heartidly with System Shock 2. Excellent game. Very easy to see the beginnings of Deus Ex in that one.:emoji_thumbsup:

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Alone in the Dark has the distinction of being the Wolfenstein 3d of the survival horror genre, but I think we can agree Resident Evil is the equivalant of Doom. It was evolutionary and popularized the genre.
Very true, but I think that what REALLY bridged the gap was the fact that RE was a console game. People hooked it up to the tv and were experiencing RE as an "interactive zombie flick", instead of hunching over the keyboard. I only played RE on my PC and as such the game was never really that scary for me. Maybe because the conversion was pretty bad, IMO.
But, as you said, these are all personal opinions and had my introduction to RE been through the PS I might have taken a different view.:)

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'll do a real list:
My personal top ten list of best gaming moments.
I can't really put these into order, so disregard the numbers, please.
10. Wasteland (Commodore 64)
This RPG game is, without a shred of doubt, the ONE gaming experience I treasure the most from the C64 days. I particularly remember the Scorpitron. This stupid tank sat smack in the middle of Las Vegas and tore my party to shreds whenever if I happened to stray too close. Later I came back with the godlike Power Armour and wreaked a terrible vengeance ("Eat my Proton Axe, cursed machine!!").
9. Alter Ego (Commodore 64 again)
What a game! You experience an alternate life from the moment of birth untill you die. Purely text based, this is the one game that reduced me to tears, it was that powerful. Some people might not "get" it, but I found it to be THE emotional joyride of any computer game. Great stuff.
8. Civilization (PC)
No specific moment can be pointed out here as well, but this game cost me plenty of sleepness nights back in the day. The equivalent of digital crack, at least to me. :) Nothing quite like rolling your tanks through the inferior nations of the world (and getting killed by Zulus. Stupid Zulus).
7. Wing Commander (PC)
The cutscenes! The bitmap spaceships! A fantastic leap forward from the wireframe graphics of Elite. Memorable moment? Finally clearing the way for a transport of commandos ensuring the destruction of a Kilrathi base. That mission was hard as nails!
6. X-Wing (PC)
Star Wars, you say? In 3D? Better than Wing Commander? I was completely blown away by this one. My favourite would have to be the Death Star missions at the end of the game. But I really had so much fun playing it that I forgot about the final missions along the way.
5. UFO: Enemy Unknown (PC)
I loved Laser Squad on the Spectrum, but I hadn't heard anything about this before I tried it at one of my friends. The way the campaign linked the (*gasp*) randomly generated missions was sheer brilliance. On a stick. Defending my bases against alien attacks was always a strangely creepy experience. Never could put my finger on the exact reason why I found that part so unsettling.
4. Doom (PC)
Loved this one. The game that finally made me break down and buy a decent sound card. When I got my hands on the chainsaw I knew this game would stay on my harddrive until it died. The fact that you could customize sounds and graphics so easily made the game even more fun. And let's not forget the cooperative multiplayer mode.
3. Turok (PC)
My new 3DFX card had just been installed and now it was time to check out that new game I had bought on a recommendation from the store. Quite the baptism of fire into the world of 3D accelerators. I guess I picked up my jaw 5 hours later.:)
2. Fallout (PC)
I guess I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic games, and this one certainly wouldn't let me go. This was all I had hoped for ever since I sold my C64 and my trusty Wasteland along with it. The sequel was even better, but the first one had Roswell-style alien bodies (carrying a picture of Elvis, no less ;)).
1. Final Fantasy X (PS2)
My first console, the PS2 had brought me many hours of entertainment playing Tekken Tag Tournament and Time Crisis 2 with my friends. Still, I was not prepared for the sheer magnitude of FFX, possibly because I had never played the previous ones. And it just seems to go on and on! I even hope to finish it someday. :D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a "Top 10"...but speaking of Resident Evil, the dog thing did scare the sh*t out of me...but not as much as the first time I went into the little hall (way in the beginning)-the hall with paintings and whatnot sitting on the floor. Anyways, there was a zombie lying there, only I didn't realize it was a zombie-I just thought it was a body and proceeded to walk right up to it. Needless to say, when it grabbed me, I nearly fell off my chair because I jumped so much. I loved RE for that initial shock value.

Bruce

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Romier-

The Toluca Prison is probably one of my most memorable gaming moments. It is probably the first time that I was playing a game and was so spooked by it that hearing noises even after I was done playing freaked me out.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Guys, I agree with the RE comments.
And the Toluca prison in SH2.
But,man,that dame school in Silent Hill...hearing the crying in the background....that area made me squirm.
Guess it didn't help that I had all the lights out :)
Calvin
(Gotta get me Eternal Darkness...)

Oscar_R

Second Unit
my #1 scary gaming experience was loading the Daikatana demo on my pc. It was frightningly bad.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
I even hope to finish it someday.
Yeah... FFX is still sitting there taunting me....I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and just thinking to myself... when does this end?
My video game firsts --
(not in any order)
PC - King's Quest (PCjr) -- my very first video game, and me getting frustrated because at the age that I was, not being abole to type fast enought to open the coffin of the vampire and stake him... without him rising
GC - Super Smash Bros -- First time playing in Kanto Stadium (Pokemon place) and seeing the actual fighting going on to infinity on the billboard behind the match... just made me realize how insanely powerful the GC is.
DC - Soul Caliber...... First time I connected it to a VGA box, and saw how damn good it looked... I just kept playing the intro to see it over again. Then realizing that the game played like a dream.
Xbox - Halo in 5.1 DD....WOAH MAMMA!!!!!
PC - Dune2 causing me to upgrade to a soundcard for my computer... %$%$@%^@@ IBM Microchannel arcitecture, but it was worth it in the end
PC - Doom, first Deathmatch... I was hooked (but suck at them nonetheless).
and finally,
PC - Unreal Tournament... First game on a new computer, and then glad that I had spent the $$ for it! :)
Jim

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The thing that I always preferred about Alone in the Dark to Resident Evil was that the developers of AITD wisely understood that the key to nailing that Lovecraftian tone is the presence of these dorky scholarly types in this creaky old environment who are totally not ready for what they're getting into. I could have told you that the AITD remake was going to suck when I saw the "kewl" redesigns for the newly badass hero and heroine. Talk about missing the point! Lovecraft is not kewl, and AITD is better than RE because it has more TWEED :)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
A little bit off topic, but Fatal Frame is the first game that has completely made me puss out on playing it!

Seriously... I've only played maybe the first hour of the game, and I'm always too much of a little wuss to keep going. I still have the game, though, taunting me... haunting me...

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
Not quite a top ten, but here's my "first" video game moments...

First video game - Combat for the Atari 2600. I didn't have anyone to play it with, but I loved being the three small planes and continually destroying the one large plane.

First PC game to visually stun me - Wolfenstien 3D. My uncle gave me the demo disc, I loaded it up and my computer, and I was shocked. At the time, I didn't realize that games existed with that level of graphics.

First game to convince me to move to the 32 bit era - Tekken. I had been away from video games for a while, then happened across this game at FuncoLand kisok. I never was a big fighting fan, but this game amazed me, and convinced me to pick up a PS2.

First system/game launch to get me really excited - Dreamcast with it's 9/9/99 launch. I still think it had the stronged launch lineup ever.

First game to stun me with my home theater - ???. I just got my Kenwood 5.1 system a month ago, and have not heard anything that truely blows me away yet. (I only have a PS2.) Any suggestions?

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
OK...here are the top 10 games I have put the most hours into. These aren't my top 10 favorite games (though they obviously rank high with me), just the ones I would estimate I spent the most time with.

10) Destroyer (C64) - One of my favorite games as a kid. I think my favorite part was shooting down airplanes.

9) Super Mario Bros (NES, SNES, GBC) - I'm sure many of you have played through this game numerous times. An all-time classic that is still fun today.

8) Tetris (GB) - Another classic. I used to sit around for hours playing this game. My friends and I also loved to link-up and play against one another.

7) Quake 2 (PC) - I used to live with two other roommates and we had our PCs set up on a LAN and we played the hell out of this game. We especially loved experiment with different mods. I think our favorites were Chaos and Holy Wars mods.

6) Twisted Metal (PSX) - Began my love of the vehicular combat genre. My best friend and I played through this game many, many, many times. It didn't have co-op, but we just took turns defeating levels.

5) Goldeneye (N64) - The first truly good console FPS game. The Bond theme added soooo much to this game. We once played four player matches nine hours straight. I dominated this game amongst my friends.

4) Critical Depth (PSX) - I still think this is one of the most underrated games ever. My friend who would play the Twisted Metal games with me would also play this one with my a lot of times, but he was never into it as much as I was. It was basically TM with subs, but the energy pods added a lot of strategy to the game. It had so many advantages over the TM games, but it never took off. Too bad. I bet I played through this game nearly a hundred times by myself.

3) Twisted Metal 2 (PSX) - In every way superior to the first Twisted Metal. Again, my best friend and I loved this game. We would often play through this game several times per night with different combinations of characters. We beat this game hundreds of times over.

2) Unreal Tournament (PC) - The first game I really got into online. I started playing Assault on public servers and was eventually recruited by a clan. Our clan dominated the N. American assault scene for our entire existence. We started the N. American assault league in which we had divisions with season matches and a post season tournament. We never lost a match. After running the league for few seasons we retired as a clan. Some moved on to play some CTF and others moved to Tribes 2. I kept playing for a while on public servers under various aliases (so I wouldn't be recognized) and eventually burned myself out.

1) Diablo II (PC) - This game sucked me in totally. I played hundreds of hours with my friends and strangers alike. I eventually had to force myself to quit due to too many late nights which were causing me to be way too tired at work. Then came the expansion. I was again sucked in and played for hundreds of more hours. I eventually had to force myself to quit playing once again,

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks