What's new

The Video Settings on My Samsung BD-P1500 Are Screwed up and Now I Can't See A Thing! (1 Viewer)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
So everything was fine until I started playing ..
I have my blu-ray player connected to my (now antique) Toshiba 50" rear projection tv that only goes to 480p. I was screwing around with the video settings in the player and hit "720p". The on-screen instructions from the player stated that if the screen went black to wait 15 seconds and it would revert to the previous settings, and everything would be fine.

Well, it didn't. And it isn't.

My tv screen is black and I can't see a thing. The front panel of the player indicates "720p" and I can't get it reverted back. I tried Samsung online chat. After a 20 min. chat, the woman couldn't help me, saying that I needed to fill out an online repair form.

Don't wanna do that. I've tried doing what she said in order to reset the machine. (hold down the ff button for 15 sec.) Didn't work. I tried unplugging. Still nothing.

Please help!
Thank you in advance!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
By no means am I an expert but how is it connected to the TV? If you're using component cables, unplug them and reconnect the player using a composite video cable, I think that only delivers a 480 signal so you might be able to get a screen and change the settings like that.

Let me repeat, I'm no expert so you might want to wait for the opinions of some of the more learned folks here.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the suggestion, Travis, but it's too hard to get to to do a lot of re-connecting.
There's got to be a simple way to reset the player to factory specs ...

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by WilliamG

Thanks for the suggestion, Travis, but it's too hard to get to to do a lot of re-connecting.
There's got to be a simple way to reset the player to factory specs ...
There is probably a composite video input on the front of the set - most big screen TVs have them for connecting a camcorder. Should be easy enough to run a cable from the back of the Blu-Ray player to that input and get the downconverted signal.

You say you unplugged it. How long did you leave it unplugged. My BD player stopped working after the power in my area went wonky one night. (I experienced four black outs of varying lengths that night. My cable co. DVR would resume recording after each of them, so that night I had three copies of Lost in my recorded shows list. One of six minutes duration, then next of 11 and the final segment of 8 minutes.) While all the rest of my gear came back, the BD deck was dead. Not even the red "stand-by power" light was on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and nothing happened. I unplugged it again. left it unplugged for ten minutes, and it still didn't respond. I was afraid the power issue had killed it.

The next morning I unplugged it before I left for work. When I came home that night and plugged it in, it came right back up and has been working perfectly ever since. Might be worth a shot.

Regards,

Joe

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Joseph,
Thank you for the information, also :) ... but guess what?! I got it figured out! The Samsung tech told me to hold down the "ff" button on the remote - but I went back and did it on the player - VIOLA! I'm back in business!! YAY, me! ;)

I really, truly appreciate both of you - and will keep these in mind for the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks