What's new

THE VICTORS and YOUNG WINSTON? (1 Viewer)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Does anyone know the status of these fine films?

1. I don't believe that THE VICTORS has ever been on home video. Not VHS, LaserDisc nor DVD. What is the story? A really fine film with a great cast and musical score.

2. YOUNG WINSTON is I believe on Region 4 DVD running time- 145 minute version. Any news on this one coming to Region 1?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I don't recall who distributed YOUNG WINSTON in the USA, but I remember it well, and Simon Ward's excellent performance as the young Churchill. I still have the screenplay, published as a paperback tie-in, somewhere. If the distributor could be persuaded to issue a DVD in region 1 they may consider my copy bought & paid for.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
They're both Columbia pictures. Its track record isn't too bad with catalog titles, but the studios are less and less inclined to unearth the golden oldies anymore, or so it seems.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I would also relish a DVD release of Young Winston. I was fortunate enough to see it in its original release and it made a huge impression on me as did Nicholas and Alexandra. I as I recall they both came out within a year of each other and of course, both were Columbia.

I expected Young Winston to hit DVD several years back when Sony was releasing some of Columbia’s past epics, such as Lord Jim, The Long Ships and the aforementioned Nicholas. This is truly a hole in anyone’s collection. The cast was outstanding with Robert Shaw, Anne Bancroft, Jack Hawkins, Ian Holm, Anthony Hopkins, Edward Fox and of course Simon Ward.

Please hear us Sony.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Young Winston is a superb film I'd love to have on disc. Chalk up another advance sale. I'd love to see it on my DVD shelf along side the miniseries The Wilderness Years.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just bought an anamorphic "146min " Pal of THE VICTORS in Barcelona today. I hope it's a harbinger to come for the longer uncut version release in the US on DVD!

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by kagemusha98

I just bought an anamorphic "146min " Pal of THE VICTORS in Barcelona today. I hope it's a harbinger to come for the longer uncut version release in the US on DVD!

The UK disc from Sony also runs 146 mins and is anamorphic too.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
YOUNG WINSTON is available on DVD-R from Sony. Check the Warner Archive, Amazon, etc. "The studios are less and less inclined to unearth the golden oldies anymore, or so it seems."--except via DVD-R programs, which didn't exist when I wrote that.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Bob Cashill said:
YOUNG WINSTON is available on DVD-R from Sony. Check the Warner Archive, Amazon, etc. "The studios are less and less inclined to unearth the golden oldies anymore, or so it seems."--except via DVD-R programs, which didn't exist when I wrote that.
Yes, Young Winston is available via DVD-R. However, as far as I know it is not the full length British Roadshow version. As for The Victors I've read that Sony was working on restoring the film to its original 175 minute length.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Both titles are available in DVD anamorphic widescreen, The Victors Region 2 Amazon UK 2 hours 26 minutes, Young Winston Region 1 Amazon USA 2 hours 25 minutes. Both transfers are very good for DVD audio is mono for The Victors and stereo for Young Winston.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks