What's new

The Vatican's "Best Movies" list (worth a read!) (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Link Removed
Among choices like Ben-Hur, there's some excellent choices. Some surprises include Murnou's Nosferatu, Fellini's 8 1/2, and even Citizen Kane.
To keep this thread open, please refrain from insults and thread farts. This is a SERIOUS post, not meant for humor reasons (unlike parts of the AFI lists).

MichaelAW

Second Unit
More surprising than the lack of The Last Temptation of Christ is the insertion of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I think someone in the Vatican missed the boat on that one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If anybody touches on any religious issues in this thread then this thread will be closed before you can say "Goodnight Irene".
Crawdaddy

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
What about Stigmata, Lolita, and Hudson Hawk? :)
Actually, it is a pretty good list with many, many great films. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dean-

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
More surprising than the lack of The Last Temptation of Christ is the insertion of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I think someone in the Vatican missed the boat on that one.
Actually, 2001 won an award from the Catholic Church at the time of its release (It's detailed in Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures). So it's not surprising it's on the Vatican's list.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
An excellent list.

A side-issue: reading through the Pauline Kael's comments on the linked site made me realise what a mean-spirited harpy that woman was.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't find this surprising. The final scene certainly has religious symbolism and can easily be interpreted as the second coming.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
2001 is included under the category of cinematic art, along with "La Strada", "Citizen Kane", "8-1/2", "Nosferatu", and other films having nothing to do with religious themes. It just so happens that 2001 encompasses all of human experience, including the religious experience ultimately reuniting man with his creator.

It's a fantastic list and quite obviously assembled with a keen understanding of the cinematic art. Far, far better than such advertising/rental schemes as the various AFI lists.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
This isn't a religious issue, just a question...who reviews this movies and speaks for the Pope? Did the Pope see all of these movies and give the big papal thumb up? A group of Cardinals? Just curious. And who, beyond movie geeks like us, would read such a list?

Phil

Pascal A

Second Unit
Phil, from what I know, Pope John Paul II is quite an admirer of the Humanities; he even writes poetry. He has also travelled internationally even before his ascension to the papacy, so it's not as though he has lead a cloistered life. I was always under the impression that the films on this list really did come from the Pope himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks