What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.0 Thread (1 Viewer)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mike,

There's one extra feature of the AVM-20's triggers that may make the use of Shawn's switchbox even easier. Each zone's "power on" selection can be used to turn on the 12V triggers. So, if Zone 3 is not being used, then the AVM-20 can be configured to activate any one of the three triggers just by turning on Zone 3. No source selection within Zone 3 would be needed.

Michael

Paul Gere

Second Unit
OK guys, I've not posted here for dozens and dozens of posts (but I've been following along), as I've been happily enjoying my AVM-20...until now!!
:frowning: DEAD AVM-20!! :frowning:
Mike, others...HELP PLEASE!!
I think I've blown the fuse in my AVM-20. Here's how I think I did it: I just upgraded to a new power conditioner. When I took the old one out, my AVM-20 was working just fine, but I think I might have pulled the AVM-20 out of my old power conditioner while the AVM-20 was still on (back switch on, not powered up), thus blowing the 1.0A slo-blo fuse.
Why do I suspect the fuse? Because I now can't get my AVM-20 to fire up, despite plugging directly into a wall, replacement power cord, playing with switch on back and everything else I can think of to get the darn thing running. The only thing that's changed since it last functioned properly is that I disconnected it from my old power conditioner.
Does this sound like a fuse to anyone else?
Has anyone else replaced the fuse in theirs? Where is it/ how do I locate it? Does Rat Shack sell a suitable replacement? Anybody know a Rat Shack part number? Any other suggestions?!
I'm so bummed!!! :frowning:
Thanks in advance to any/all for your help!!
Cheers,
-Paul

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

It's a quick fix. Just a 1 amp slowblow. you can tell which one it is and the shack does sell them in 2 packs. just take the old one with you and get the right size (physically) with the right rating. it will be in one of the fuse drawers in the back. Just don't let them actually touch your fuse or offer a suggestion. I blew mine and thats what I did. Well, i talked to Nick and that was his recommendation. be careful and don't touch any boards inside the unit. and be sure to discharge yourself first either with a band or at leas touch the outer chassis before reaching inside.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Paul, one way you can tell if it's the 1A main fuse is if the display (very, very faintly) reads Anthem AVM-20, but so lightly that you can barely see it. If that's the case, you have blown the fuse. Take it from the fuse expert! It's a simple fix, trust me.

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Randy,
Thanks!
I don't mean to be thick, but I believe from your post that the fuse I'm looking for is inside the unit - I've got to open it up? Just wanted to be sure before I go ahead with surgery. Not a big deal, as I've been inside my unit before for the upgrade.

Where will I find the fuse inside the unit? I assume near the power supply at the back.

Thanks again!
-Paul

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Ev,
Thanks for your post - always great to hear from you!! There's no faint AVM-20 in the display, no display or other lights whatsoever. The whole thing is not responding to power of any kind. Strange...

-Paul

Paul Gere

Second Unit
OK guys, I've been inside the beast. Found a fuse located in the F2 slot (near the front panel) that is definately blown. Fuse is stamped 315mA, 250V at one end, BUSS GMA (ul) at the other end. A very thin band inside fuse, but is unquestionably blown. Is this the fuse I should be focused on? There are two fuses in this area, but the other one seems to be OK.

Thanks,
-Paul

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Paul, either fuse can blow. The other (good) fuse is the 1A main fuse. The one you blew is the 315MA fuse. You can get replacements for those at Radio Shack as well.

Replace that one and you should be good to go.

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

How does the Fogg Box sound to you?
As a concept it sounds fantastic!! I cannot comment on the sound though as I've not got one.......I was just playing with the triggers on my '20. Sorry if that did not come across clearly. I believe that you indicated that Shawn Fogg told you it was transparent though, so apart from your own InterConnects I expect the convenience of switching your SACD and DVD-A would far outweigh any signature or degradation, real or imagined.

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Thanks guys (Ev) for your help! I replaced the 315mA fuse and am back in business. That was all I needed to restore my AVM-20 to fully functional. Never even lost my settings -- COOL! ;)
================================================== =========
We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...
================================================== =========
Cheers,
-Paul

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Evan,

Does anyone know how close (far) we are from 2.10?
My gut tells me not before September and not before the release of the Anthem Director (or whatever it is going to be called). It took Anthem several months just to get the original v2.00 stable (now at v2.09). I don't think they are about to release another software upgrade (as opposed to fixes) until they are 99.99% certain it is stable. Also, for the time (and money!) being spent on v2.10 I think Anthem would like to see a profit from this, hence why I believe it will not occur until the Director is released.

And no, I have not been in contact with Anthem, so this is just my opinion. I could be off by months (either high or low!).

Michael

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
What? You mean they're not getting it(upgrade) out in time for fathers day? What a drag. :)
Just give me speak config. by source and I'm in heaven. :)
forget it...

Neil Potter

Auditioning
Has anyone used the Av20 with high end tube amp's and tube cd player's with the AV20 as the pre-amp?? If so please advise on any suggestions or performance! I am building a separate high end stereo setup in the same dedicated room as the HT and am going to have to use the AV20 as the preamp until i get the Rogue 99. The amp is a Sonic Power 2, and the CD a Shanling 100 Modified. Any high end user's please advise!
By the way my Av20 which had a major hick-up upon delivery was replaced and is running very well :))
Neil

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting for my AVM20 next monday. My dealer just talk with the representant, and he told him that there will be a new upgrade in a month, when I asked him for a 2.09.
I don't know if it will be the 2.10, but something coming in a month.
I have a question for the pro hangin-out here. I have the Rotel RMB-1095 with "quasi" balanced input. Do you think I should use those or the standard RCA plug with the Anthem?. I really don't know what this "quasi" balanced design mean.
Thanks for your help.
I hate having to wait all week-end for my new toy...:frowning:

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Neil,
I'm waiting for my AVM20 next monday. My dealer just talk with the representant, and he told him that there will be a new upgrade in a month, when I asked him for a 2.09.
I don't know if it will be the 2.10, but something coming in a month.
A month? Hmmm, I am not sure I believe it, but were it to be true I wouldn't complain! ;)
Michael

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Hey, did anyone see the review in "DVD ETC..." on the "upgraded" Anthem? A little late in my opinion, but nice to read anyway.
I think the writer posts here on the forum.
He also mentions this thread in the article and says some interesting stuff about it. (the thread)
He also mentions an upcoming upgrade, but alas, no specific dates.
Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone cares. I obviously don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks