What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.0 Thread (1 Viewer)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
My concern at this point is that Anthem knows about this and will delay delivery of the hardware for the v2.0 upgrade.
I understand your concern and it should be fixed of course. I don't know if it has such an adverse effect that it will delay delivery of the upgrade. From my perspective, it is a minor annoyance that I am sure will be addressed if Anthem can resolve the problem. The question is, is it hardware, or software?? I would guess its the coding, but if it's hardware, oh my!!!

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I wanted to wait before upgrading to see if any issues developed. I have a 5.1 system now, so alot of the upgrade is of little interest to me right now. That being said, the upgrade bug bites me on a regular basis and you just never know when he'll hit. When he does I want to make sure all bugs are ironed out so the downtime is at a minimum.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I use PLII for my satellite viewing and I have version 2.0. I have never noticed this. But I do use the optical connection.

I have noticed something else with PLII. When it first locks in on a new signal it sometimes takes a second to figure out what to do. The sound comes out of the left and right speakers (after all its a 2 channel PCM signal in its raw format) and then PLII kicks in and locks onto the signal. I thought it was a side effect of PLII. Maybe it is related to the above issue.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Dennis,

"I have a 5.1 system now, so alot of the upgrade is of little interest to me right now."

Not to harp on this, but the AVM-20 v2.0 upgrade has quite a bit to offer those of us with 5.1 systems.

For starters, DPL II is a 5.1 DSP mode, as least in its "pure" form and one that applies to the AVM-20. I believe that a few processors might extend DPL II to the rear speakers (Lexicon? Meridian?), but most are strictly 5.1 schemes.

Then there's the crossover upgrade, allowing for separate crossovers by speaker group (25-160 Hz) and to a finer increment (5 Hz). While there are arguments about whether different crossovers might cause phase problems, at least it is available to try. In addition, there are the subwoofer phase and polarity adjustments to play with.

Brian,

"I have noticed something else with PLII. When it first locks in on a new signal it sometimes takes a second to figure out what to do."

Does the delay occur with a DSP mode other than DPL II?

Thanks,

Michael

Bob Wilson

Agent
For the record, I have been unable to reproduce this flaw. My system was upgraded on Sept 19 by the folks at Anthem (they were teaching teh techs at Kromer how to do it).

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
Michael,

Is DPLII that much superior to Cinemalogic? While the incresed flexibility for setting crossovers are nice, I run a THX Ultra speaker setup that uses a 80Hz setting. The part of the upgrade that is the most interest to me is THX Ultra II, which when I upgrade to 7.1 eventually, would allow me to use two direct rear speakers with my dipole surrounds.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Dennis,
"Is DPLII that much superior to Cinemalogic?"
I can't say whether DPL-II is superior to AnthemLogic, but DPL-II is designed for 5.1 systems, whereas AnthemLogic is designed for up to 7.1 systems. It will be interesting to see, once I get the upgrade, how DPL-II (Movie and Music modes) and AnthemLogic (Cinema and Music modes) compare to each other.
BTW, most AVM-20 owners who are interested in DPL-II should really give the "Music" mode a try, regardless of whether you are listening to music or watching a movie. Whereas the DPL-II Movie mode has fixed parameters, DPL-II Music allows you to adjust the following:
  • Center Width, which is adjustable from 0 to 7. '0' places all center sound in the center speaker, '7' places all center sound equally in the main speakers, '1' to '6' is interim steps between these extremes.
  • Dimension, which has seven steps of adjustment. This allows for the adjustment of the front-to-back balance.
  • Panorama, which is either 'On' or 'Off'. Turning this parameter 'On' can extend the front stereo image to imclude the surround speakers.
I would think that the Center Width and Dimension parameters would be the most useful.
Michael

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Michael.. I use the Logic II Music mode when watching TV and when listening to Directv's music channels. It has more "presence" in my system. That's the best way I can describe it.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, no it does not happen in any other mode than PLII and it does NOT always happen. It might just happen when watching cable via the analog inputs.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The word this morning from Anthem is that their tech support group has been unable to reproduce the DPL II problems with the AVM-20. They have handed the issue to their test group for further investigation.

Michael

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Just an update on my PLII issue. I think it is my DirectTivo that causes the problem. It happens when I ff or rew a show and then hit play. It uses the optical digital connect and it must be playing havic with the PLII code.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Brian,
If the only time you experience a problem (delay?) with DPL II is when using the DirectTivo and an optical connection, I would first try a different optical cable to see if that corrects the problem. Some people, like in this thread have experienced drop out problems with optical cables. Actually, in the last post in the above thread the poster disconnected and reconnected the optical cable and solved the problem.
Other than a questionable optical cable, you might have an issue with the optical transmitter in the DirectTivo, optical receiver in the AVM-20, or both. If a different or reseated optical cable does not solve your problem, you might want to try one of the other two optical inputs on the AVM-20 to see if the problem persists.
Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well, I came home from work to find two emails from Sonic Frontiers. Neither of them had to do with the issue with DPL II that some have experienced with their AVM-20s.
The first email had to do with the hardware upgrade. Sonic Frontiers states that only an authorized dealer or the factory can perform the DSP board install (it is spelled out in the back of the operating manual). Anyone else performing the install (including the owner) will void the warranty.
The second email dealt with the status of my upgrade order. The email stated "Just heard that the kits will be approximately 2 weeks backordered." Just a heads up to anyone considering the upgrade.
Any expression of my frustration at this time would probably result in my immediate and permanent banning from this forum. :thumbsdown:
Michael

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
As I wrote before, I can reproduce this problem that Brian mentioned with my SACD player using this procedure:

"Simply select a 2 channel source as input (with Analog-DSP), set DPLII-Movie as the mode. Turn off the AVM-20. Wait 5 seconds. Turn on the AVM-20. You should now hear the bug; sound coming from the "wrong" channels and/or low volume levels. "
What is interesting in my situation is that I am using pure analogue connections on my SACD player with analogue-DSP as the input setting and can reproduce the same problem. No digital toslink-Coax connection at all on that input. Go figure. The FM theory??

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, My first post.

(please read the last paragraph - I am soliciting your opinions)

I am soon to be a proud owner of an Anthem AVM 20 v. II. I should have delivery sometime next week. I was all set to go with a high end receiver, when, while waiting for my salesman to finish with someone else, I wandered into the room with the Anthem. To put it simply, I was BLOWN AWAY!! It was so much better, to me, than the other gear, that I basically bought it then and there!

Some perspective.....I was waffling on which receiver to get for nearly a year. This decision (Anthem) was made literally overnight (the initial listen, and then some more detailed time the next day). It was just that good!

So anyway, I'm thrilled, I can't wait to get my unit, and I look forward to all of the interesting information that I garner from this forum!

Now for my question...I intend to purchase Anthem's MCA 30 for my front speakers. Based mainly on price, I am considering either the PVA 5 or an B&K Components AV5000 Series II for the back and surround 4 (both 125 wpc).....or maybe I should save for a MCA 50 (or a pair of 20's). The B&K is a LOT cheaper. It's also got ~ 30 db worse S/N ratio. Is that S/N ratio difference something I'd likely hear? (I'm going to audition them back to back tomorrow). Considering the price, what would you do?

Thanks all in advance.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Prathavan, I'd save for the 50. Less boxes to have to move if you move your system and all the work is done in one place. I have an MCA-5 (the 50's predicessor) and I like it very much. The AVM-20 is a pretty revealing processor but even with it's clarity, unless you have very good ears (and some on this board have better ones than I), I would doubt you would hear much of a difference between the B&K and Anthem dispite the S/N ratio difference (on a side to side A/B basis that is). If you were going to use the B&K to run your FRONT speakers, that might be a different story, but for what you intend to use it for, unless you are going to get heavy into SACD and DVD-A (multichannel music formats), I would think you'll be OK with the B&K, power wise. With that being said, the Anthem amps are fine performers and are a good value. You could do quite worse. Yeah, they aren't Bryston, Theta or Levinson, but they're pretty darn good.

One thing you might want to consider is this. If you are going to DEFINATELY get the MCA-30 for the fronts, then you might want to get the PVA-5 for the sides and surrounds as the Anthem sonic character won't change from your front and back soundfields. If you go with the B&K for this application, you may get a situation where your front speakers sound more lively (brighter, if you will) than the B&K and you may not like what you hear. Better off being consistent.

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Pro, I'd also recommend being consistent in your choices for amps. The clarity of the Anthem will tell you the difference, despite one for the fronts (I assume all 3 fronts) and the other for the surrounds and rears. As Evan said they are not Bryston, or Theta, but you should be able to tell. Jumping to this level will help tune your ears for further upgrades as well. Everyone hears differently however, so trust what YOU hear. Enjoy.... I love my Anthem in my system!

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Guys,

I'm off to the store this afternoon, and will let my ears be the judge.

Evan, I've decided to hook up all "7" channels, so I'm thinking I need two boxes anyway (unless I got the PVA 7. On my personal assumption that there won't be as much sonic information in the surrounds and rears, I won't need as much power there (and therefore, to spend as much money).

Randy, you assumed correctly, my thoughts for the MCA 30 were for powering all three fronts.

I never really considered that the Amps might "sound" different or have different sonic characters, I was really only thinking about the difference in the S/N ratio. Thanks for the heads up on that. It's a good thing I've brought a lot of music to listen to.

Like I said, the B&K is on sale (it's 1/2 of the price of the PVA 5!!), and that's why I'm so interested in it for the backs and sides. The only other amps around here that match up well in both price and quality (or that level of it anyway) would be the Rotel series, but then I'd be buying from a different dealer. I've wasted so much time from my salesman that I'd feel like a toad if I now took my business elsewhere. They do have a 6 month no interest plan, so if I can hear the difference, maybe I'll just jump overboard right now!

Anyway, thanks again guys. I can't wait to get my gear.

Brian Gentry

Agent
I finally got registered and got a moment to comment.

I started the original thread at avsforums on the DPLII-Movie issue. I've since reported it to Anthem tech support and reproduced the bug with several sources, with different inputs.

So far I've gotten the bug to occur with:

1. Sony stand alone Tivo, connected to SAT input with stereo analog connection, set to Analog-DSP.
2. Denon DVD-3800, connected to DVD input with stereo analog connection, set to Analog-DSP.
3. Denon DVD-3800 connected to DVD input using coaxial digital and input set to Digital-RCA.

For the DVD player to show the bug using the digital input, I must be playing a true stereo source like a regular CD, or a DVD with the audio mode set to output only stereo. In all cases, the bug is reproducable at will; i.e., it happens every time.

Anthem wrote back a few days ago saying that they haven't been able to reproduce the bug in their tech support area and are sending it to R&D. They've also received at least one other report of the bug from another customer.

I consider this to be a very minor thing. I consider it so minor, that I posted to avsforum before even talking to Anthem; it was mainly out of curiosity. I'd like to have it fixed, but it's really not a big deal. I've already adjusted my various macros (for stereo sources) to just go down one surround mode and back up to DPLII-Movie. So, I never really see the bug anymore, just a little extra action on the screen (as it changes surround modes and then back to DPLII-Movie) when I select a stereo source.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe this bug is indicative of DPLII modes not working as they are intended. I have no way of proving or disproving this; it's just something that occurred to me. DPLII-Movie, to me, sounds almost indistinguishable from regular DPL. I'll have to play with a movie on Tivo or something and see if I can tell any difference A/B'ing it.

Anyway, I still absolutely love this processor. I hope Anthem addresses the bug in a new release; they've told me to look for a 2.01 or a 2.1, but that it may be a few weeks.

Brian.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hmmm, these are two interesting statements from Brian:
"Anthem wrote back a few days ago saying that they haven't been able to reproduce the bug in their tech support area and are sending it to R&D. They've also received at least one other report of the bug from another customer."
"Anyway, I still absolutely love this processor. I hope Anthem addresses the bug in a new release; they've told me to look for a 2.01 or a 2.1, but that it may be a few weeks."
Well, any release of a 2.01 or 2.1 in a few weeks will most certainly not have a bug fix, unless Anthem was lying to you as you quoted in the first statement. Anyway, a new release of the software already? I wonder if it is for other known bugs, additional features, or adjustments to current features?
In case anyone is wondering, no, I do not have my upgrade yet. :frowning:
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks