1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.0 Thread

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chas_T, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Chas_T

Chas_T Well-Known Member

After reading some suggestions from Camp and others to start another thread on the New Anthem AVM-20 2.0 software upgrade, we may as well begin anew.
    Sometimes when those threads get so long, it's difficult to make any sense of them as time goes by.
    Just in case anyone is interested in the old thread entitled: Anthem AVM-20 New Chipset Page, here is that link with some other information on the AVM-20.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=89811
    Also, here is the link to the AVM-20 web site.
    http://www.anthemav.com/frames/mixfr.html

2. Chas_T

Chas_T Well-Known Member

Wayne:

3. Camp

Camp Well-Known Member

4. MikeAF

MikeAF Well-Known Member

I have really enjoyed listening to movies again with the new surround modes. I watched We Were Soldiers last night and it was awesome with the rear speakers working. The disk is encoded with DD-EX and I used THX-EX processing and what a surround feeling with the bullets and choppers flying all around the room. For a free upgrade it was definitely worth it. I played around with the advanced sub settings but kept coming back to using the 80 crossover. I have the Diva 6.1/C3/R3 setup. I am defintely spending more time watching and listening than Iam on the computer now. I will continue to post when I feel I have something worthwhile to contribute.

Mike

5. Marc_E

Marc_E Well-Known Member

Boy! It sure is hard to stop and actually evaluate things so that I can give my opinion. I just keep watching movies.

I have watched a couple DTS-ES titels most notably Blade 2. Totally rocked! Flawless detection and beautiful sound. The Haunting also auto detected no problem.

I have had problems in autodetection of DD-EX though. I played LOTR and We were soldiers. Neither was detected. I am assuming there is some indication like 'DD-5.1 EX' that should be on the readout. I just see 'DD-5.1'.

I have not tried any DTS-ES Matrix yet.

Anthem Logic is pretty cool. I used it while watching the US open over the weekend and it gave a very courtside feel. I need to evaluate it further because I have been mainly wathing movies.

The crossover control is great. Fantastic addition.

Ultra2 modes I have used on DD-5.1 to 7.1 and have a limited sense of how that is (my wife would not let me turn up the volume high enough for me to really sense it) but I will look at it further.

So far, I am VERY impressed with the upgrade and you can't beat the price. I was fully prepared to pay the $300 and had I needed to I would still think it was a great deal. To get the same on my old onkyo 989 I would have to pay $500 now and I really didn't like the thing anyway.

More to come.
    Marc

6. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Well-Known Member

Marc,
    "I have had problems in autodetection of DD-EX though. I played LOTR and We were soldiers. Neither was detected. I am assuming there is some indication like 'DD-5.1 EX' that should be on the readout. I just see 'DD-5.1'."
    According to the top of page 28 in the AVM-20 operating manual it says that any DD-EX movies released prior to the Fall of 2001 will not autodetect. I believe the two movies you mentioned were released in the Fall of 2001, so they should have autodetected.
    You might want to see if you can set DD-EX manually. This is described in Section 5.8.3 on page 28, the same section that describes the autodetect issue and the Fall of 2001.
    Michael
    Edit: According to this site not many of the so-called DD-EX DVDs are properly flagged. This site states that both LOTR and We Were Soldiers are not flagged for DD-EX. You need to set DD-EX manually for these movies.

7. Michael Langdon

Michael Langdon Well-Known Member

Camp,
    I would be careful about making statements that Aragon and/or Tag owners are paying more for the same quality and features as the Anthem AVM 20. Unless you have compared (listened to, looked inside, have knowledge of all components) all three units in question, you cannot assume the quality is the same. As far as features are concerned, the Aragon unit has one very important and useful feature to me. With the Aragon Stage One I can have a different speaker configuration and bass management setup (crossover) for surround and stereo listening modes. This may be useful to those who like to listen to music without a sub. Even if you still want to listen to music with a sub, you can have a different speaker configuration (large for music vs. small for surround) and a different crossover than that of the surround modes.
    The Anthem is a great piece and has features that other processors do not have. However, the Anthem does not have everything. Also, I paid for my Stage One about what everyone else is paying for a Anthem AVM 20.

8. Michael Mohrmann

Just an update: the AVM-20 upgrade hardware has not arrived yet to my dealer. They think it will be next week before it does show up. Grrrr! It is not like I must have this upgrade, but once the decision was made to get it, I want to get it NOW! Okay, enough venting for now.

"I would be careful about making statements that Aragon and/or Tag owners are paying more for the same quality and features as the Anthem AVM 20."

Agreed. I have owned and auditioned enough processors and preamps the last two years to realize that "one size does not fit all". I am constantly surprised just what does and does not work in my system. My criteria is sound quality first, then features. For someone else, it may be reversed. That difference (or preference) will invariably lead to different purchasing decisions.

Michael

9. Camp

Camp Well-Known Member

10. Michael Mohrmann

Camp,

"I get this sense that Anthem doesn't quite hold the same place as Tag or Aragon or many other brands. I don't know why that is but it's not deserved."

Anthem is a relative infant in the surround processor "game". Respect usually comes to those companies that have performed at a high level for some time. But make no mistake, Anthem has gained a lot of ground in a very short period of time. The AVM-20 started with top-notch sound quality, and now it has an impressive software package to go with it. The AVM-20, v2.0, is worthy of the attention of anyone looking for a processor in the $2500 and up range.

Michael

11. Marc_E

Marc_E Well-Known Member

Michael,
    Thanks for that site. I tried JPIII (correctly flagged) and the Dolby D EX indicator came on. What gives with all these unflagged titles? Do they think no one is listening to them so screw them?

Pearl Harbor, no DTS-Matrix flag. Auston Powers II no EX flag. And others.

Marc

12. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Well-Known Member

Guys,
    FYI,
    I've tacked a link to this new thread from the old one.
    Just trying to keep us AVM-20 folks in one place. [​IMG]

13. Chas_T

Chas_T Well-Known Member

Lots of Michael's on this thread. [​IMG]

14. Chas_T

Chas_T Well-Known Member

15. Phil M

Phil M Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear more about people's impression of "Anthem Logic", especially in direct comparison to DPLII using analog sources.

Phil

16. Michael Langdon

Michael Langdon Well-Known Member

Chas_T,

I am sorry that you were not able to audition the Aragon Stage One. I think you would have been equally impressed with it as you are the Anthem AVM 20. I auditioned both the AVM 20 and the Stage One. I too look for sound quality first and then features. Of course the Stage One does not have everything and it does not give me everything that I require. I would have liked the features from the AVM 20 and the Stage One! However, the Stage One does give the features that were most important to me. As you pointed out, everyone has different requirements when selecting a product. I really wish I could have gone with the Anthem AVM 20. I do like the fact that upgrades are offered via the web, something Mondial has yet to demonstrate.

17. Chas_T

Chas_T Well-Known Member

18. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Well-Known Member

The Dolby EX flag was not present, then came, and then went. Dolby is having problems with equipment compatibility and their DD EX encoding flags.

Perhaps they will come again.

Pearl Harbor is NOT an official DD EX or DTS-ES matrix title, so there wouldn't be a flag in the first place. When saying a decoder can or can't detect a DD EX or DTS-ES flag you need to be absolutely positive that the movie was originally encoded with DD EX or DTS-ES.

On the flip side, The Bone Collector and 102 Dalmations are DTS-ES matrix titles, but were not flagged properly so you have to set any DTS-ES processor manually.

DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 titles must be ES Discrete flaged or the format won't work on DTS-ES Discrete decoders properly.

Oh, by the way, when will Anthem be selling new, factory fresh AVM pre-amps with THX Ultra2, better DAC's, DTS-ES Discrete, etc. and not dealer refurbs? There are some dealers I wouldn't trust further than I could throw them to do delicate electronics upgrade procedures.

Dan

19. Chas_T

Chas_T Well-Known Member

20. Marc_E

Marc_E Well-Known Member

Dan,
    Sorry, you are correct about Pearl Harbor. Also, there is no DAC change in the upgrade. It is purely a DSP change. The DACs are the same and very VERY good IMO. Most dealers do not have on hand stock that I know of because the units sell like hot cakes. Most places do have to order and , there fore, get the newest production unit so no refurbs.
    Marc