What's new

The upcoming Doctor Who DVD range! (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
News about the upcoming Time Meddler (February in the UK)

As well as a commentary with actor Peter Purves, producer Verity Lambert (her last one), script editor Donald Tosh and designer Barry Newbery, the disc contains a feature, "Stripped for Action" which looks at the First Doctor's comic strip adventures. It features interviews with artist Bill Mevin, comics historians Jeremy Bentham and John Ainsworth and former Doctor Who Magazine editors Gary Russell and Alan Barnes.

Another feature "The Lost Twelve Seconds" uses an off-air audio recording and the original script to place the missing twelve seconds of episode four in context within the story. This section was removed by overseas censors prior to recovery of the print. "Restoration" is a short featurette showing "before and after" examples of techniques used during the restoration of this story. There are also production and publicity photos from the story.

The Time Meddler is due for release in the United Kingdom on 4 February 2008.

The March release will be a two-disc edition of The Five Doctors. This special edition includes both the original UK broadcast version - available for the first time on DVD - and new special effects and extra footage not included in the original broadcast.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
That sounds great. The Time Meddler is probably my favourite Hartnell story. The Lost 12 seconds sounds interesting and the comic strip feature should be good as well. I've got most of those "Classic Comics" magazines that came out in the 90s, reprinting the old strips.

I hope this comes out in R1 next summer. Time Warrior, Planet of Evil, Destiny of the Daleks, and Timelash are out in R1 in March and April.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Concidentialy, I just watched Time Meddler as part of my 26 year marathon (one episode a week for the next 3 decades) and the story really stands up well. I cant wait to see the extras on the disc.

(Of course I'm really down with the Sea Devils boxed set. That's one of my favorite 5th Doctor stories - so it's shaping up to be nothing but good news in 2008!)

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Agreed. I'm most looking forward to the Sea Devils set. And DWAT Silurians is one the very best stories from the best season of the show in my opinion.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Considering that The Time Warrior, Timelash, and The Time Meddler are all out or due out in the next year, why not go whole hog and release The Invasion of Time, The Time Monster, Trial of a Time Lord, and Time and the Rani while they'e at it? ;)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Have't seen Black Orchird yet, so that will be exciting.

I see the BBFC are mentioning Disc 1 and Disc 2, which initially surprised me, but I think this happened once before, and if I remember correctly all it meant was that 2entertain just provided the content for classification on two single-layer DVD-Rs. So, if anyone was confused by that, that's probably the reason for the mention of Discs 1 and 2.

Good to know The Invasion Of Time is coming. Haven't seen it in years, but I remember enjoying it - although I remember being annoyed that the back rooms of the TARDIS were so obviously some factory somewhere.

Are there any other Sontaran stories left? We've had Time Warrior, Sontaran Experiment, Invasion of Time, and The Two Doctors released. I can't think of any others, unless I've forgotten one.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
MatthewLouwrens said:
Yup! That's all of them. If one was feeling generous, you might add Horror of Fang Rock into the mix, featuring the Rutans and all - but that's out on disc too. Even the Jim'll Fix It short got a release on The Two Doctors, so the Sontarans are good and covered.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Maybe they'll offer all of the Sontaran stories in one box set with The Invasion of Time also available to purchase separately, the way they've done with the Davros set and Destiny of the Daleks.

And I'm excited to hear that Black Orchid is on the way - didn't know that! I always liked this Davison story; even though it's a little lightweight by comparison to some other stories, it's still really charming.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Woot - the next disc of the range was just passed by the British standards and pratices board:

The Fourth Doctor story The Brain of Morbius is to be released on DVD in the UK. The British Board of Film Classification today passed three episodes of the 1976 four-part story, giving them a PG rating. They were passed without any cuts ordered. Consumer advice given for episodes one and two was that each had "scary scenes".

The fourth episode will, undoubtedly, be passed shortly. A release date for the DVD has yet to be announced.

Not one of my favorites, but a fun little romp.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Yea, its a fun story. I hope we get to see the new Five Doctors 2 DVD set thats coming out in a few weeks, or months, here in the US.
Looking forward to Planet of Evil in about 3 week!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm going to triple dip on the 5 Doctors. It's got some damn sexy extras - but that's third time to the well for me!

Also, from the good news / bad news department:

Further information about the DVD extras of the forthcoming release of The Brain of Morbius has today been revealed on the BBFC website. Along with a documentary, "Getting a Head", and features such as "Designs on Karn", "A Letter to Robert Holmes" and "Set Tour", the disc contains a trailer for the forthcoming releases of 1977's The Invisible Enemy - which saw the first appearance of the robot dog K9 in Doctor Who - and the 1981 spin-off K9 and Company, which stars Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith.

Man, am I a Who geek enough to get pure crap like K9 and Company?

(Well, I guess if I couold buy season 1 of Torchwood. . . .)

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Tony J Case said:
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm going to triple dip on the 5 Doctors. It's got some damn sexy extras - but that's third time to the well for me!
And indeed third time for many, but a quick look at the comparison images alone on the Restoration Team website should convince you to upgrade.:)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
the disc contains a trailer for the forthcoming releases of 1977's The Invisible Enemy - which saw the first appearance of the robot dog K9 in Doctor Who - and the 1981 spin-off K9 and Company, which stars Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith.
If they have a single trailer for both (which it sounds like they do) then presumably they'll be released in a single K9-themed box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks