What's new

The Unsinkable Molly Brown? (1 Viewer)

Brandon_D

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Amazon yesterday and saw the The Unsinkable Molly Brown is only available through the marketplace. It's not available on any other movie sellers either. Has Warner Bros. put it on moratorium?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Brandon_D

I went to Amazon yesterday and saw the The Unsinkable Molly Brown is only available through the marketplace. It's not available on any other movie sellers either. Has Warner Bros. put it on moratorium?

It has been OOP for a few years. Warner Archives has indicated that they are going to put it out sometime this year as a MOD.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You're going to see a lot more of these deeper catalog DVDs go out of print. As existing stock runs out, Warner isn't going to continue to do new pressings when they can switch them over to MOD.

Brandon_D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the details. But surely The Unsinkable Molly Brown is popular enough to constitute a blu-ray release at some point as well.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott

Thanks for the details. But surely The Unsinkable Molly Brown is popular enough to constitute a blu-ray release at some point as well.

Assuming Blu-ray ever picks up, it's as likely as any other catalog title. I just remember Warner recently complaining that sales of deep catalog have been particularly disappointing thus far.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The fact that it was a reasonably early DVD release had always made me believe it was a popular seller, but maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part.

Brandon_D

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny. I never really considered it a "deep catalog". I have always put it along side Wizard of Oz, Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon which have done very well on blu-ray.

Originally Posted by mdnitoil

Assuming Blu-ray ever picks up, it's as likely as any other catalog title. I just remember Warner recently complaining that sales of deep catalog have been particularly disappointing thus far.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott

It's funny. I never really considered it a "deep catalog". I have always put it along side Wizard of Oz, Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon which have done very well on blu-ray.

I'm afraid you might be one of the few who lists Unsinkable up there with those other three. I think even among musicals, it's generally considered at best a second-tier title. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't recall ever seeing it accorded any particularly special attention for home video releases.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It's got to be a second tier title for musicals, period. Today, I mean -- not necessarily when it was new. I don't say that out of any dislike for it. And maybe I'm wrong.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It is still in print and available from Amazon in the UK but its region 2 and Pal so you will need a region free player in the US to play it.

Its cheap too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000EMI5JM/ref=oss_product

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

It's got to be a second tier title for musicals, period. Today, I mean -- not necessarily when it was new. I don't say that out of any dislike for it. And maybe I'm wrong.

I wouldn't call it second-tier. While not particularly a favorite of mine, it's big, long and expensive, shot in Panavision and stereophonic sound, garnered Debbie Reynolds an Oscar nomination and was a sizable hit. It's only fault is that Meredith Willson's score isn't as near as memorable as that for "The Music Man" and a lot of it was jettisoned for the movie.

It's certainly worthy of a BluRay release and would look and sound great in High Definition. If Warners can release "The Bad Seed" in BluRay, I think they can find time for "The Unsinkable Molly Brown."

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
"The Unsinkable Molly Brown" will come to blu-ray eventually, it's one of the few MGM widescreen, color, stereo musicals WB can release and probably falls somewhere after "Seven Brides for Seven Bros." and "Brigadoon" in sales. What else is there "Bells are Ringing"? The rest aren't widescreen films. Non widescreen films: One the Town, Annie Ge Your Gun and Bandwagon will most likely also come to blu-ray (Maybe as a box set)

Long shot but possible "Kiss Me Kate" in 3-D

"Meet Me in St Louis" comes in the fall and "Singing in the Rain" comes next year. "Gigi" and "An American in Paris" are already on Blu-ray

and yes, "Molly Brown" is a second tier musical

Brandon_D

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry. I didn't word myself very well. I don't think Unsinkable is of the same iconic status as those others, but i always thought it had a great popularity on home video.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Well, of course, there are plenty of other widescreen, stereophonic musicals made during the Cinemascope era, some (Silk Stockings, Love Me or Leave Me, High Society in VistaVision) more popular than others (Kismet, It's Always Fair Weather, Les Girls, Hit the Deck, The Opposite Sex). I'd love to have them all, but reality has to take over at some point. I would hope we'll at least get the former trio of films on Blu.

After Bells Are Ringing, Warners and/or MGM had Jumbo, Gypsy, Camelot (coming in 2012, I believe), Finian's Rainbow, Goodbye, Mr. Chips which are the ones which I can think of off the top of my head. They're insane if they don't already have Gypsy ready for its anniversary next year. It would look spectacular in high def since the DVD version is already pretty stunning upconverted.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Long shot but possible "Kiss Me Kate" in 3-D

Not to derail the conversation about "Molly Brown" and other musicals, but this is an increasingly infuriating sore point: I haven't seen one goddamned sign from any studio about any upcoming catalog 3D release YET in this supposed 3D "craze".

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
"Gypsy" in HD is currently available ON Demand if you have Comcast, until the end of November this year. You may need a subscription to a premium channel since it's included in the "Premium Channels" section under "Preferred Collection" along with all kinds of interesting (old) movies in HD. Looked great.

Originally Posted by MattH.

Well, of course, there are plenty of other widescreen, stereophonic musicals made during the Cinemascope era, some (Silk Stockings, Love Me or Leave Me, High Society in VistaVision) more popular than others (Kismet, It's Always Fair Weather, Les Girls, Hit the Deck, The Opposite Sex). I'd love to have them all, but reality has to take over at some point. I would hope we'll at least get the former trio of films on Blu.

After Bells Are Ringing, Warners and/or MGM had Jumbo, Gypsy, Camelot (coming in 2012, I believe), Finian's Rainbow, Goodbye, Mr. Chips which are the ones which I can think of off the top of my head. They're insane if they don't already have Gypsy ready for its anniversary next year. It would look spectacular in high def since the DVD version is already pretty stunning upconverted.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks for the heads up on that. I get everything (I think) that Comcast offers, but I'm terrible about looking into what available on those channels.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
"Gypsy" was supposed to come out on Blu-ray. It would have been the same transfer as in the Natalie Wood Box Set DVD only in HD. The DVD does look great - but it's mono??? The first DVD was in stereo

"Camelot" is coming

"Finian's Rainbow" would look great on Blu-ray - and it could sound great if they used the right soundtrack. But this is a long shot

There's always "Damn Yankees" and "The Pajama Game" though these are even less likely (Amazon lists a blu-ray placeholder for "The Pajama Game" though)

"My Fair Lady" belongs to CBS which is now own by Paramount (you do the math)

Seems WB is pissed off at George Feltenstein or there would be at least a few more musicals on Blu-ray. George released every muscal film he could on DVD during the last 14 years

Amazon also has a place holder for "Brigadoon" "Gypsy" and "Camelot"

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

"Gypsy" was supposed to come out on Blu-ray. It would have been the same transfer as in the Natalie Wood Box Set DVD only in HD. The DVD does look great - but it's mono??? The first DVD was in stereo

I thought I had read that the stereo tracks for Gypsy no longer exist. I cannot say for certain for both are gone now, but I did not think the laser nor the first DVD had stereo. I remember the article I read stated that the only stereo tracks they could find was for the trailer.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
gypsy was already stereo on the second laserdisc and the old dvd.

The master stereo tracks are lost and no stereo print has shown up. but the film was remixed for stereo using the tracks from the soundtrack album, minus the album reverb.

Hardly a chance for a stereo trailer as by that time, trailers were no longer stereo. Many Fox early scope trailers were stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks