1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

the universe is a soccer ball?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Wladyka, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Well-Known Member

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Well-Known Member

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Well-Known Member

this thread will go one of two ways:

informative discussion into things like superstring theory, quantum physics and other stimulating topics.

or a debate of the lowest common denominator.

i hope it's the former.

4. Andrew Testa

Andrew Testa Well-Known Member

Not any more or less so than any other theoretical topological spacetime model. The question is; are there any other explanations for the inconsistencies in the background radiation, and do all current physics operate in this new topology?

[homer] ...mmmmmmm, spacetime manifolds.... [/homer]

Andy
    EDIT: Josh, I'll try for the former, homerisms aside [​IMG]

5. Mike Wladyka

Josh--me too

I haven't come across it yet, but i am wondering where the individual galaxies are? do they lie along the outside of the soccer ball? or on the inside? How does the doppler effect fit into all of this, after all scientists have been measuring the rate of expansion for years...how could this be in a spherical universe? is the giant soccer ball rotating?

6. Dave Poehlman

So, it's sort of like a 3 dimentional version of a Mobeus strip? A 3 dimentional sphere twisted four dimensionally and joined with itself? That would explain how one could travel in one direction and wind up at the same place. The galaxies would be within that sphere, I suppose. I don't know where the dodecahedron comes in... why couldn't be some other polyhedron?

I wish the article had more details. Or... maybe my Asteroids theory is right and we're all just living in some video game in a bowling alley. [​IMG]

7. Andrew Testa

Mike,

Everything would be on the inside. The "edges" don't really exist; the transition from one side to the other wouldn't appear any different from traveling internally. So the expansion model still works, and galactic doppler shift is still valid. It's a topology that's both infinite and bounded. Meaning that while the volume of the universe could be contained within a measurable volume, Internally you can travel forever and never reach an edge. The expansion of the universe means that the container gets larger, so the distance you would have to travel before you returned to your origin would increase.

It's an old concept, actually. What's new is that the background radiation data may actually show it exists.

The classic 2 dimensional analogy for this is to imagine an ant on a balloon. The balloon obviously has a bounding volume, but the ant can walk forever and never reach an end to the surface. Blow more air into the balloon and it expands. Individual points on the balloon move away from each other at a constant rate, the ant sees his universe expand, and he can still never walk to the edge.

In the case of the soccer ball model, remember that big bang theory states there is no center of the universe; it all started from the same point and from anywhere it appears to be expanding away from that point. The ball boundaries could be anywhere within that universe. If you were right on the edge or in the center of the ball, the universe would look exactly the same.

Further experiments that would pin this down would be (as mentioned in the article) to see if any objects appear in more than one place. We can currently see some 10 billion light years away, so with a dodecahedral topology there are 6 pairs of surfaces that light from any object will pass through, to reappear on the other side. The trick would be to find some very distant object, then scan for a double of that object somewhere else in the sky, but at a much larger distance. In reality though we'd be very lucky to find such a phenomenon, since the wrap around distance could likely be farther in light years that we can see, or it could be farther in light years than the universe is old, so that the light from it hasn't even reached us yet.

Lots of very interesting repercussions from this kind of topology.

Andy

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Well-Known Member

OK, methinks I'm not going to understand this until I see a model of what they're talking about, or maybe I'll get even more confused after that. [​IMG] Does anyone know where I can see what they're talking about?

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Well-Known Member

hmm interesting. well, dare i ask what they think is outside of the boundary of the soccer ball shaped universe?

10. Mike Wladyka

11. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Well-Known Member

12. Dave Poehlman

13. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Well-Known Member

14. BrianW

BrianW Well-Known Member

Brian

15. Eric_L

Eric_L Well-Known Member

OF course there's a center of the universe, I just don't like to flaunt it...

16. Andrew Testa

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

18. Mike Wladyka

19. Andrew Testa

20. Andrew Testa