What's new

"The Uninvited" :( Will we EVER see this on DVD?!? (1 Viewer)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

It's funny you should ask this, as yesterday the daily IMDB poll was Voting for the Top 20 films not on DVD as per the TCM list. The UNEXPECTED was among them. The AFRICAN QUEEN won hands down the last time I checked, followed by NOTORIOUS and REBECCA (silly to include them since they ARE being released this fall, but anyway...)

I just hope a LOT of insiders saw the poll!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

EDIT: Looks like REBECCA and NOTORIOUS have just been removed from the TCM Top Wanted list. They also finally removed ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS which has been on DVD for quite a while now and was still in their Not-on-DVD list yesterday...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Anybody with any further news about when "The Uninvited" might see the light of day on DVD? :eek:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Shame about this and Island of Lost Souls being overlooked/negleted by Uni.

Licensing these out may be our only hope. I would easily spring for Criterion versions of these. or how about Legend? they did a decent job with the Paramount titles.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
Obviously more stupidity on the part Universal. Where's "Kitty"? Where's "Million Dollar Legs"? Where's "If I Had A Million"? Where's hundred of great Paramount films that Universal doesn't think are worthy of release????

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Universal seems to be the studio that has the least interest in releasing the titles that fans are clamoring for. I could be wrong, but I don't think that they've released a single noir title since the 2-disc "Double Indemnity" set more than 2 years ago. Every other studio is pushing out anything that even resembles or sounds like a noir, while Universal continues to sit on some biggies.

Unreleased Universal:
The Uninvited
The Raven (My favorite Karloff & Lugosi film)
Island of Lost Souls (Lugosi & Laughton)
A Foreign Affair (Billy Wilder)
Five Graves to Cairo (Billy Wilder)
Hold Back the Dawn (Billy Wilder Script)
Arise My Love (Billy Wilder Script)
The Glass Key (Veronica Lake Noir)
The Blue Dahlia (Veronica Lake Noir)

People have been requesting these titles since the format was launched and to the best of my knowledge not a one of these has ever been rumored as being worked on.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Eric - THE RAVEN has been out for awhile now, as part of the "Bela Lugosi Collection". Just checked and it's still available from Amazon at $20.99.

Many of the others, as you probably know, can be had in R2 versions. I don't notice the sound speedup so it doesn't bother me, although I'm aware that others don't feel the same. Anyway, I agree that they should be released in good R1 versions, especially UNINVITED, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, and MURDERS IN THE ZOO, none of which are out in any region.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator
PHANTOM LADY and MINISTRY OF FEAR are two more noirs that haven't seen the light of day on R1. There are dozens of other major films that Universal has failed to release. The ironic thing is that U. shelled out for 35mm restorations of many of these films, but hasn't deemed them worthy of DVD. I guess many of their earlier classic releases sold really poorly, but I always thought that film noir was a sure thing.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Well it has been more than 4 months since the last activity. Any word about "The Uninvited" however faint & distant?!?? :frowning:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
An HTF'er burned me a DVD-r of his laserdisc of The Uninvited. I had not seen it for years (it's a favorite of my wife's), and I expected it to be corny and outdated. It's really quite good and mysterious, one of the classic ghost story movies. Unbelievable that it has never made it to DVD.

Wesley Ray

Grip
Real Name
Wes Ray
I also wonder why this one hasn't made it to DVD yet. I'll hold on to my VHS for dear life in the meantime.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Better burn your VHS to DVD, Wes, as it's getting harder and harder to find that replacement VCR. My sis burned this to disc for me, and it will have to hold me until/if/when the real DVD of this is released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks